Business fibre

ipodmusicman

Hi folks,

Busy educating myself on the establishment of a small service orientated public facing business and found that business fibre is just ridiculous in terms of cost per month. Cool Ideas for a 20/20 connection on Octotel is about R2500 pm EXCLUDING VAT !

So, is there anything that would prevent me from applying for a FTTH connection instead? This is a small business with 3 employees where the internet would mostly be used for e-mail and where they won't be hosting any services, etc.

A FTTH connection is more than sufficient and reliable for the job! I can understand that if one could only get ADSL that one would want some sort of SLA (as ADSL in itself is super unreliable), but nowadays, FTTH is a lot more reliable than ADSL ever was, so what gives?

Genisys

Executive Member
Nothing stops you from getting FTTH if you have coverage, however if and when things go wrong, don't expect the best response times to get it fixed, or even for that matter the speeds to be guaranteed. Most FTTB connections come with multiple conditions and extras a business can make use of, so some of those things like static IP's etc will probably not be available to you either.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Hi folks,

Busy educating myself on the establishment of a small service orientated public facing business and found that business fibre is just ridiculous in terms of cost per month. Cool Ideas for a 20/20 connection on Octotel is about R2500 pm EXCLUDING VAT !

So, is there anything that would prevent me from applying for a FTTH connection instead? This is a small business with 3 employees where the internet would mostly be used for e-mail and where they won't be hosting any services, etc.

A FTTH connection is more than sufficient and reliable for the job! I can understand that if one could only get ADSL that one would want some sort of SLA (as ADSL in itself is super unreliable), but nowadays, FTTH is a lot more reliable than ADSL ever was, so what gives?
Certain buildings are only FTTB offerings, generally speaking if you have less than 5 employees we allow home connections. But in office parks etc we often don't get the option.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Yip, as the owner of a retail store in a open plan shopping centre, FTTB makes no sense given the high costs. A 100/100 FTTH uncapped package would more than suffice...

Don't need a 99.9% guarantee on up-time or cloud storage or fixed IP...