Buying Cluster Home Vs a Complex

144Vuma

Hi Guys.

My family and I are currently in the process of selling our sectional title home to get a bigger home (a good offer came in on the 1st show-day, so fingers crossed everything works out). My mind has always been set on living in a complex because of the security it provides.

While looking at what is available on the market, i have come across cluster homes, which provide similar type security comforts, and to a certain extent, less body corporate drama.

My concern is how different are the monthly costs for a cluster home compared to a sectional title (complex) home (levies, rates etc)?

Any opinions and information will be greatly appreciated. the type of cluster homes we are looking at would comprise of the following:
-3 bed, 2 bath, double garage,
-garden, but no swimming pool,

Thorium

Cluster home for the exact reasons which you highlighted. The trustees of the BC of sectional title complexes typically have less maintenance ability and acumen than Eskom employees.
I have found that cluster (full title) homes in security complexes have levies of around R800-00 per month, compared with around R2500-00. Plus you can go for solar power without having to grovel, just ensure that you do not buy double storey, less roof space for solar panels.

JayM

Expert Member
Cluster home for the exact reasons which you highlighted. The trustees of the BC of sectional title complexes typically have less maintenance ability and acumen than Eskom employees.
I have found that cluster (full title) homes in security complexes have levies of around R800-00 per month, compared with around R2500-00. Plus you can go for solar power without having to grovel, just ensure that you do not buy double storey, less roof space for solar panels.
Many cluster developments have HOAs who enforce strict rules (like no solar panels, aircon units, max number of cars, etc etc).

Lupus

Honorary Master
How are cluster homes more secure then a normal home? In fact even a complex isn't secure, I've seen more people robbed in complexes then in normal ones. In fact my old unit I sold the guy was shot not 6 months after he bought it.
Complexes are a false sense of security and actually become easier marks for would be criminals because of the closeness of units. Don't think that gives any benefit either as your neighbour generally won't react.

Snyper564

Expert Member
How are cluster homes more secure then a normal home? In fact even a complex isn't secure, I've seen more people robbed in complexes then in normal ones. In fact my old unit I sold the guy was shot not 6 months after he bought it.
Complexes are a false sense of security and actually become easier marks for would be criminals because of the closeness of units. Don't think that gives any benefit either as your neighbour generally won't react.
Agreed, when we stayed in a complex ppl were just randomly let in, no control. I prefer my house, my house, my rules...

I don't want to sound rude, but you have your house for sale and didn't even look elsewhere yet? It took us 6 months to find our house and you haven't looked yet? With your house for sale? This could mean you are forced to buy something you don't want.

144Vuma

thanks for your response. You have also tapped into another issue which I'm interested in: the cost of solar power, maybe at 1st for the geyser, then later as a solid back up because eskom is not going to save us anytime in this life time...

144Vuma

Many cluster developments have HOAs who enforce strict rules (like no solar panels, aircon units, max number of cars, etc etc).
I will do some research on this, thanks for the heads up

144Vuma

I dont think so, i have bought and lived in two complexes with no security issues, because the security measures were actually good enough to make potential criminals think twice about crime. I'm not blind to the fact that no place is devoid of crime, but well run complexes certainly have less chance of serious crimes happening. Stand alone homes are easier targets, gated communities and control access homes are far more difficult to target and not worth the risk. There is definitely no sense of false security, unless its a mismanaged complex with fly by night security companies...

Lupus

Honorary Master
I dont think so, i have bought and lived in two complexes with no security issues, because the security measures were actually good enough to make potential criminals think twice about crime. I'm not blind to the fact that no place is devoid of crime, but well run complexes certainly have less chance of serious crimes happening. Stand alone homes are easier targets, gated communities and control access homes are far more difficult to target and not worth the risk. There is definitely no sense of false security, unless its a mismanaged complex with fly by night security companies...
Nope even well managed complexes have issues. Because of access controls, contractors and and. You've been lucky so far

144Vuma

Agreed, when we stayed in a complex ppl were just randomly let in, no control. I prefer my house, my house, my rules...

I don't want to sound rude, but you have your house for sale and didn't even look elsewhere yet? It took us 6 months to find our house and you haven't looked yet? With your house for sale? This could mean you are forced to buy something you don't want.
I can understand your preference, but it does come with risk, and unemployment is only getting higher which drives up crime and home invasions, particularly stand alone homes. There will be complexes that will always be poorly managed hence crime happening, its always up to each individual to do their research on the complex and area...

I have been doing my research for over a year about where i want to move. I have also watched the market carefully, so no, on the contrary, my decision has been very well planned and thought out- I understand the market much better and as said, have received a very good offer on the 1st show day. By selling the house I am not forced to by and am fortunate enough to have interim accommodation and storage available at half the costs i would be paying if I were to be renting. In the current market, properties I am aiming for are highly negotiable and selling well within my calculated budget, its just a matter of making sure that most of my needs are met, so no rush.
I have already viewed one property i liked but was reluctant to put in a offer that is 'subject to', so I'm patient and in the area I am looking in, options are coming up daily.

144Vuma

Nope even well managed complexes have issues. Because of access controls, contractors and and. You've been lucky so far
You call it luck, I call it research and making informed decisions...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
You call it luck, I call it research and making informed decisions...
Nope.. It's luck. I lived in a complex with 24 hour guards... Constantly patrolling etc etc etc.. Still got hit.

Complexes regardless of how they are run are an easy target actually...

Lupus

Honorary Master
Nope.. It's luck. I lived in a complex with 24 hour guards... Constantly patrolling etc etc etc.. Still got hit.

Complexes regardless of how they are run are an easy target actually...
A dude got shot 4 times in my old unit with security standing almost right outside as his alarm went off.
Did anyone else in the complex react no.

Azg

Expert Member
What additional security can you install in a standalone house that you can't install in a cluster house / complex, other than your own electric fence? If you are not lulled into a false sense of security I think you should be able to achieve at the very least the same level of security in a cluster house that you would get in a standalone.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
I live in an estate with 440 houses in it. In 12 years there hasn't been a single burglary here. Security is extremely tight though, managed by Bidvest Protea Coin, and the levies reflect that.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Complex, closed estates, cluster, etc, etc are not as secure as what people think. For a few years now the unsavouries move in, look like avg neighbours. Clear our their neighbours homes of the nice stuff and 6 months later they move. Drug dealers like dealing from high density complexes/estates. Even some prozzies ply their trade.
All where people claim its safer.

PS. I did the complex thing for many years. Now in a freestanding house and very happy.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
Complex, closed estates, cluster, etc, etc are not as secure as what people think. For a few years now the unsavouries move in, look like avg neighbours. Clear our their neighbours homes of the nice stuff and 6 months later they move. Drug dealers like dealing from high density complexes/estates. Even some prozzies ply their trade.
All where people claim its safer.

PS. I did the complex thing for many years. Now in a freestanding house and very happy.
There are better areas than Fourways.

beans100

Honorary Master
Most people think that criminals is committing crime as a side line job. And that all bars and safety features will eliminate crime. Reality is, they do this every day, full time.
Just imagine, you are good in your job, because you are doing it every day for years now, right. Also, probably because you were mentored by fellow people in the same industry. Well, the same with criminals. They're experts in what they do. That's why they use the term deterrent. Safety gates, bars, alarms and safety complexes is just a deterrent. Not a cure.

Jchan11hk

Would Waterfall or Serengeti be any safer? Since I do not see any wall or electric fence on these properties.