Buying From Gearbest

Anirack

Yeh, I've been wondering about that. Might wait a while and see what Samsung brings out next, save a bit and then go the Samsung route, although I'm tempted to do a bit of Xiaomi - in then end it will be cheaper to just buy the phone here in SA. I've done other purchases via aliexpress, never had a problem except the waiting. Thanks for the help :)

Bl1zz4rd

Yeh, I've been wondering about that. Might wait a while and see what Samsung brings out next, save a bit and then go the Samsung route, although I'm tempted to do a bit of Xiaomi - in then end it will be cheaper to just buy the phone here in SA. I've done other purchases via aliexpress, never had a problem except the waiting. Thanks for the help :)

My problem wasn't even so much with the waiting as it was with the lack of proper communication. Customer service just needs to be improved.

You might want to look at the Pocophone F1. The value is amazing. That's what I ordered (and Aramex lost) before I got my OnePlus.

Pleasure!

cavedog

Honorary Master

Well some devices on banggood.com does ship to SA via buffaloex courier and tax free. Might be an option to explore. One example will be the Redmi note 7

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Red...on-660-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1411259.html

Any phone shipped from their CN warehouse has the Direct Mail Tax free option.

Hemps

Honorary Master
This seems like a good deal, what you guys think ill pay customs?

1560928220155.png

Bl1zz4rd

This seems like a good deal, what you guys think ill pay customs?

Calculate 15% VAT, and subtract that. Then calculate 7% customs duty (ad valorem tax). Add to those two probably a few hundred for handling and disbursement fees.

If I were you, I'd not place that order, as EMS is the South African Post Office. Have a read through some threads on this site about people's experience shipping that way and see if you're happy doing it. Perhaps see if one of the other Chinese sites have alternate shipping methods for low cost.

Hemps

Honorary Master
Calculate 15% VAT, and subtract that. Then calculate 7% customs duty (ad valorem tax). Add to those two probably a few hundred for handling and disbursement fees.

If I were you, I'd not place that order, as EMS is the South African Post Office. Have a read through some threads on this site about people's experience shipping that way and see if you're happy doing it. Perhaps see if one of the other Chinese sites have alternate shipping methods for low cost.

Thanks, ill scrap it and rather try local.
the Nokia 8 sirocco from mTN at R199pm x 24 seems good deal.

Bl1zz4rd

Thanks, ill scrap it and rather try local.
the Nokia 8 sirocco from mTN at R199pm x 24 seems good deal.

It's a pity we get taxed like that, especially since there's no local phone manufacturing industry to protect. Might be worth taking a look on Amazon US, as they've recently started pushing the fact that they ship a wide variety of things to SA. Might find something there that's not available in SA, shipped using a good courier.

bar1

Expert Member
Ordered my xiaomi mi 8 last year from gearbest.
customs was about R100, shipped via aramax

Makhuradk

I have! Aramex confirmed that Gearbest created a dummy record on the system which generates a valid waybill number but.. The item wasn't sent to them yet.

You can escalate to aramex and they will check for you
Had the same thing recently with Aliexpress, they create a dummy shipping, when you track the item, it is shipping for someone else mostly in the same country. Then they claim the courier actually returned the package for an unknown reason

ZAGadgetReviews

Had the same thing recently with Aliexpress, they create a dummy shipping, when you track the item, it is shipping for someone else mostly in the same country. Then they claim the courier actually returned the package for an unknown reason

Gearbest don't normally create a fake tracking number. They normally create a tracking number with Aramex/DHL but the item still needs to be collected which can take a few days. In some extreme cases, 1-2 weeks to just collect but most of the times, it is within a few days. Once collected, then moves very quickly.

Check out the Gearbest thread as I did cover it in the opening post.

Reactions: Yuu

Bl1zz4rd

Gearbest don't normally create a fake tracking number. They normally create a tracking number with Aramex/DHL but the item still needs to be collected which can take a few days. In some extreme cases, 1-2 weeks to just collect but most of the times, it is within a few days. Once collected, then moves very quickly.

Check out the Gearbest thread as I did cover it in the opening post.

To my knowledge, this is correct. This is the feedback that I got from Aramex when I once ordered something from Gearbest. The "dummy label" is a pending collection, which could take time. After collection, actual tracking begins. It doesn't mean the dummy is a fake label, just that the dummy doesn't reflect that the parcel is actually on its way yet. The one for the order I'm referring to, for example, still took about 2 weeks, I think, to be collected. To anyone ordering in future,, perhaps messaging the shipper directly to ask about it would help push things along.