buying from itunes without installing itunes

wizdumb

Expert Member
there seems to be a lot of decent music on itunes, however to to buy it you must have itunes installed.

fair enough.

however, the last time I had itunes on my pc, it converted all my music to the i format. (not the actual format, but hopefully you will understand)

my question, is it possible to install itunes without itunes actually updating/changing my current mp3s to i format. I basically want to buy music off itunes (thus the need for itunes) and then convert it and add the music to my normal library

Dean

Expert Member
there seems to be a lot of decent music on itunes, however to to buy it you must have itunes installed.

fair enough.

however, the last time I had itunes on my pc, it converted all my music to the i format. (not the actual format, but hopefully you will understand)

my question, is it possible to install itunes without itunes actually updating/changing my current mp3s to i format. I basically want to buy music off itunes (thus the need for itunes) and then convert it and add the music to my normal library

The setting is in iTunes - I believe it's also one of the setup options after installing but could be wrong - just look for the option to (or not to) manage your music folder/files. They make the option sound appealing with its wording, but just be strong and say no :)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

fair enough.

You can even setup iTunes not to import your existing music at all, so you would just have the purchases stuff.

Just pay attention when going through the wizard at setup and then go into Preferences afterwards to make the necessary changes.

wizdumb

Expert Member
cool, will try this tomorrow....

...will set a restore point tonight, so if it messes up anything I'll just system restore (let's hope it works that way)

Dean

Expert Member
cool, will try this tomorrow....

...will set a restore point tonight, so if it messes up anything I'll just system restore (let's hope it works that way)

No, luckily (most would say) system restore doesn't work that way - it doesn't change any of your personal files, ie. media/documents/etc.. only apps and the OS. So if you install iTunes and it converts your music ie. media to a different format, Sys Restore won't change it back, it will only uninstall the iTunes app.

wizdumb

Expert Member
damn, but removing itunes will

just have to wait for call of duty to finishing installing and updating and then it's time to test out itunes