Cadbury's chocolate shrinkflation

lived666

Executive Member
I know there is a thread somewhere from when the large 200gr chocolate slab decreased to 180gr - but my search function doesn't work on the new forum....

Anyhow the large has now decreased to 150gr - how pathetic is this!! The small is still 80gr - I wonder if they can shrink that even more.

So we went from a large 200gr to a measly 150gr - soon the large will be a 100gr and the small 50gr :rolleyes:

signates

Expert Member
soon the large will be a 100gr and the small 50gr :rolleyes:
And in a couple of years time they'll introduce a new jumbo size of 200gr at double the original 200gr slab, the smallest one will eventually fall away. Rinse and repeat.

wizardofid

Expert Member
I know there is a thread somewhere from when the large 200gr chocolate slab decreased to 180gr - but my search function doesn't work on the new forum....

Anyhow the large has now decreased to 150gr - how pathetic is this!! The small is still 80gr - I wonder if they can shrink that even more.

So we went from a large 200gr to a measly 150gr - soon the large will be a 100gr and the small 50gr :rolleyes:
You are aware it isn't a result of shrinkflation, but the fact that there has been cacao shortage in recent years as a result of it being much harder to grow the cacao tree, as the tree can only grow in humid rainforest conditions.This means supply has been strained.Weather conditions in recent years haven't assisted at all.There is a possibility of serious shortage by 2020, with entire crops decimated and extinct by 2050.

It's more about protecting the supply then shrinkflation. Worse still it's only going to cost more in future as the shortage increases.

lived666

Executive Member
You are aware it isn't a result of shrinkflation, but the fact that there has been cacao shortage in recent years as a result of it being much harder to grow the cacao tree, as the tree can only grow in humid rainforest conditions.This means supply has been strained.Weather conditions in recent years haven't assisted at all.There is a possibility of serious shortage by 2020, with entire crops decimated and extinct by 2050.

It's more about protecting the supply then shrinkflation. Worse still it's only going to cost more in future as the shortage increases.
Nah its shrinkflation., I don't see Lindt reducing their sizes though they only a 100gr to start off with but speaking of Lindt somehow we do have some of the cheapest Lindt world-wide, around $2 a slab in the USA its around $5.

I can see Cadbury going the same route, shrinking the thickness until the large is a 100gr bar similar to Lindt style.

Cadbury's reduce the amount of cacao by adding other ingredients in so called limited edition types such as astros or nuts or crunchie or the PS slab with 0 cacao solids.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Cacao shortage... strained supply... higher cacao prices... smaller bars... same/higher prices - it's shrinkflation.

wizardofid

Expert Member
Cacao shortage... strained supply... higher cacao prices... smaller bars... same/higher prices - it's shrinkflation.
I guess you are right, I feel skrinkflation is tied to greed which isn't the entirely the case here perhaps, shortage is definitely playing a greater part here.

e4et

Expert Member

I'm pretty sure they will find some poor animal's anus to dissect and discover the glands contain something that tastes very similar to cacao and the world will be at peace again :X3:

It's not just Cadbury's, take a look at a packet of Simba chips next time you're in the grocery shop. They used to be ~200g IIRC, but now 125g or so.

No potato shortage to account for that AFAIK.

RedViking

Honorary Master
I thought all the 'shrinkflation' is related to the Sugar tax. Instead of pushing the price up because of the higher tax, they make the products smaller.

RedViking

Honorary Master
It's not just Cadbury's, take a look at a packet of Simba chips next time you're in the grocery shop. They used to be ~200g IIRC, but now 125g or so.

No potato shortage to account for that AFAIK.
Simba has always been selling air. The chips was a bonus.

tRoN

Executive Member
I thought all the 'shrinkflation' is related to the Sugar tax. Instead of pushing the price up because of the higher tax, they make the products smaller.
This^

Like how sugar free drinks are cheaper than sugar ones.

rodga

Executive Member
Sugar tax is a recent development, shrinkflation has been around for ages

AFAIK, the tax just applies to beverages. Sweets aren't included. I stand under correction here.

I remember reading an article where they talked to Cadbury at one point, a couple of years ago now, and they basically said what has been said here - due to general inflation costs go up, so they shave a bit off the chocolate so as to avoid increasing the price.

I've noticed it on ice cream as well - forget which brand now but a box which is cunningly disguised as 2L is actually 1.8L or 1.5L.