Call for Cell C boycott

schurtek

The news we received is disgusting.

Telkom is decommissioning ADSL country wide, and many of our client's can only connect via Cell C LTE. Every other option is too pricy or stuck in a 24month contract.

Now Cell C is ditching everyone.

I am porting all my Cell C mobile simcards out of Cell C as fast as humanly possible.

BAD CELL C, BAD! Think about what you've done...

blowdart18

Why is Cell C bad?

If they don't make the necessary business decisions to rescue their business then there will be no Cell C at all.
I believe they dropped fixed LTE in favour of protecting valuable bandwidth and offering what service they have left to their mobile subscribers.

Donkey_hote

If I may say so, Cell C is leaving many of us in a terrible situation. I do understand why Cell C felt they had to rescue their business. You would do well to ask why are they in so much trouble. One simple answer, extremely poor management. Much cheaper data was made available and I for one jumped on board. Did cell C management not consider the consequences of their decision? I think not. I f you have limited resources you must be careful how you sell it. Following shaping and deceit by Cell C trying to hide their incompetence they are now throwing us all out. Question, would increasing prices and thereby reducing demand not help. Think how much less data I would use if it became unaffordable. Multiply that by the many users and the pressure comes off your resources. The data they continue to sell bringing in much better margin should give room for system improvement. If the response from Cell. C is, "we are tied by contracts. and can't increase prices ". We must then ask ourselves, why on earth did they sign these contracts in the first. place? The only thing I see here. is crap management.

This is just my 10c worth and is an opinion. If anyone has a different take on things it would be interesting to hear.

Inn3rs3lf

Expert Member
Huh? They don't owe any of us a service, therefore we can't boycott their decisions in terms of service provision. That is entirely in their right to do.

genetic

Honorary Master
The news we received is disgusting.

Telkom is decommissioning ADSL country wide, and many of our client's can only connect via Cell C LTE. Every other option is too pricy or stuck in a 24month contract.

Now Cell C is ditching everyone.

I am porting all my Cell C mobile simcards out of Cell C as fast as humanly possible.

BAD CELL C, BAD! Think about what you've done...
Yeah you bad dog, you!!

lol... no one gives a damn.

rwenzori

Honorary Master
If I may say so, Cell C is leaving many of us in a terrible situation. I do understand why Cell C felt they had to rescue their business.
They have been in financial poo from the word go. This has always been common knowledge. Yet you still sign up with them, then whine when things go bad. Caveat emptor. No sympathy from rwenzori.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Why is Cell C bad?

If they don't make the necessary business decisions to rescue their business then there will be no Cell C at all.
I believe they dropped fixed LTE in favour of protecting valuable bandwidth and offering what service they have left to their mobile subscribers.
Data on 3G is 3-4 times more expensive than on Fixed-LTE ...

So potentially they can earn lots more lolly from only offering 3G data ... , but that kite is not going to fly ...

So Cell-C situation is more desperate than they letting on.

blowdart18

Data on 3G is 3-4 times more expensive than on Fixed-LTE ...

So potentially they can earn lots more lolly from only offering 3G data ... , but that kite is not going to fly ...
Um yes . . . . Its called cost vs retail . . . this is how a business makes its profit to be able to pay for all those expenses.

From the recent article 0.5% of the Cell C user base is using 20% of the Network capacity. via their Fixed LTE product.

By taking this out the equation they will hopefully make more profit and cut out the cost of provisioning data on its network.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Um yes . . . . Its called cost vs retail . . . this is how a business makes its profit to be able to pay for all those expenses.

From the recent article 0.5% of the Cell C user base is using 20% of the Network capacity. via their Fixed LTE product.

By taking this out the equation they will hopefully make more profit and cut out the cost of provisioning data on its network.
You make money, from selling services if you are Cell-C ... , cutting popular services, does not make you money, even if it saves you money in the short term. SHRUG ...

Donkey_hote

:) :)You've got to laugh really, they are telling us 5g will be the answer to all our problems. Oh bugger, I just fell off my chair !! :ROFL: I just can't see this new faster, and a lot more complicated technology being handled in a competent manner by any of the companies. A lot more towers needed with a lot more advanced equipment to maintain mmmmmmmm.. Then we'll turn off 2g then 3g...... Best get off and brush up on my smoke signaling.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
:) :)You've got to laugh really, they are telling us 5g will be the answer to all our problems. Oh bugger, I just fell off my chair !! :ROFL: I just can't see this new faster, and a lot more complicated technology being handled in a competent manner by any of the companies. A lot more towers needed with a lot more advanced equipment to maintain mmmmmmmm.. Then we'll turn off 2g then 3g...... Best get off and brush up on my smoke signaling.
Still have 2x US Robotics modems in the cupboard ...

Donkey_hote

Telkom removing copper, not sure my old 56k modem will be much use without that:). Morse code needs copper so I dumped that idea as well. Semaphore anyone?