Can cardio have a toning effect ?

thedutchman

Expert Member
what also helps a lot is 'tou spring' ? jumping rope??? well do that quickly and long and you will feel it everywhere :D

blunomore

Honorary Master
cardio is a great way to start toning. yes, you do get some tone out of it (stripping all fat away)

however, like pitbull said, cardio is a much lighter form of resistance training so not as effective. when you get to a body fat percentage of around 20% you should generally start weight training (not light resistance training)

But besides the point. Try changing up your cardio exersizes to include other parts of your body. This will generally tone you everywhere and get a lot of cardio in at the same time
I do 15 minutes of treadmill, varying the speed and at a gradient of about 8 to 10. After that, I do 15 mintues of excercise bike or elliptical training and then resistance training on the rest of the circuit.

Vegeta

Executive Member
okay okay one more question: on a scale from 1 to 10 how sexy would you rate urself bodywise, 1 being where u want to be ultimately and 20 being the worst case scenario... this is very important for my very sceintific'ey analysis of your "problem" :D

blunomore

Honorary Master
how many days a week blu?
4 days

okay okay one more question: on a scale from 1 to 10 how sexy would you rate urself bodywise, 1 being where u want to be ultimately and 20 being the worst case scenario... this is very important for my very sceintific'ey analysis of your "problem" :D
Scientific analysis? Dr Frankenstein, I presume ... ? :D

sand_man

Honorary Master
Cardiovascular training burns calories and reduces fat but weight training done intensively burns calories and builds up muscle tissue which leads to toning. I say leads because no matter how hard you train your muscles, if they covered by a thick layer of fat you never going to see them. Our skeletal structure is covered by muscle tissue, fat and then skin. Reduce the amount of fat between the skin and the muscle tissue and you will look toned. This can be acheived through cardiosacular excersice and of course diet. I used to think diet was 9/10th's of the law but lately I've realized it's 9.9/10th's.

Running and cycling with increased resistance will definitely stimulate muscle growth in your legs yes but you need to be rowing to build up your upper body, this if you not doing any weight training.

There is no quicker way to lose body fat then by running, 2nd to that is swimming and the added bonus with swimming is you WILL stimulate muscle growth/toning of every muscle group...

remybfg10k

Expert Member
Cardiovascular training burns calories and reduces fat but weight training done intensively burns calories and builds up muscle tissue which leads to toning. I say leads because no matter how hard you train your muscles, if they covered by a thick layer of fat you never going to see them. Our skeletal structure is covered by muscle tissue, fat and then skin. Reduce the amount of fat between the skin and the muscle tissue and you will look toned. This can be acheived through cardiosacular excersice and of course diet. I used to think diet was 9/10th's of the law but lately I've realized it's 9.9/10th's.

Running and cycling with increased resistance will definitely stimulate muscle growth in your legs yes but you need to be rowing to build up your upper body, this if you not doing any weight training.

There is no quicker way to lose body fat then by running, 2nd to that is swimming and the added bonus with swimming is you WILL stimulate muscle growth/toning of every muscle group...

+1

To elaborate though

Doing HIIT running for 30 minutes will burn 3 times more fat than doing normal running for 30 minutes