Can the old M-Net Decoder still be chipped?

Bighit

Expert Member
Does M-net only still get sports?
Well it used to, except on Sunday mornings when EastNet or whatever is shown. On the odd occasion, this CSN and MNET bouquet is unlocked on the DSTV offering (Just push TV and go to the Commercial Bouquet option), but this really is on the odd occasion.

PaulB_

I have spent the last day reading tutorials from people who are in europe who use similar systems, but those in SA say it only opens the video.

ponder

Honorary Master
The video was analog and easy to fix, audio was digital & encrypted.

Milano

Honorary Master
Yip. My old man is clinging on to his like grim death. The remote for the decoder no longer works but he refuses to give up. And surely he must be paying almost as much as an entry level dstv package? I even have a dish and decoder to donate to him, but it's like a horse and water.
That's a shame, I am pretty sure I have a few of those remotes around.

PaulB_

I have a breakthrough. I was walking to Plumstead station, and I saw a bergie on the street corner had an M-Net decoder for sale, it was the "9000 plus" I paid R20 for it, the reason being I thought I'd play around with it, as it was a model I haven't yet experimented with. I took the lid off, only to see it had previously been tampered with, and there was a PCB of some sort attached to where one of the ICs were. I don't have a decent antenna here, so I connected an old amplified indoor antenna which is known to interfere with the decoded picture, low and behold M-Net, and CSN decoded instantly, although the picture is crappy due to the antenna.

mister

Executive Member
I have a breakthrough. I was walking to Plumstead station, and I saw a bergie on the street corner had an M-Net decoder for sale, it was the "9000 plus" I paid R20 for it, the reason being I thought I'd play around with it, as it was a model I haven't yet experimented with. I took the lid off, only to see it had previously been tampered with, and there was a PCB of some sort attached to where one of the ICs were.
Haha. Nice win :)

dadecoza

Expert Member
I have a breakthrough. I was walking to Plumstead station, and I saw a bergie on the street corner had an M-Net decoder for sale, it was the "9000 plus" I paid R20 for it, the reason being I thought I'd play around with it, as it was a model I haven't yet experimented with. I took the lid off, only to see it had previously been tampered with, and there was a PCB of some sort attached to where one of the ICs were. I don't have a decent antenna here, so I connected an old amplified indoor antenna which is known to interfere with the decoded picture, low and behold M-Net, and CSN decoded instantly, although the picture is crappy due to the antenna.
You should share some pictures of the mod.

genetic

Honorary Master
The video was analog and easy to fix, audio was digital & encrypted.
This.

M-Net used encrypted NICAM audio.

Off topic;

SABC started broadcasting un-encrypted stereo NICAM in the early 90's when they launched their analog ASTRA-Sat service. Initially it was only SABC 1 & 2 that broadcast in NICAM stereo.

PaulB_

From what I can observe, the circuit is attached to an IC slot next to the delta chip and asic. The circut looks so professionally soldered & manufactured. There was one wire running to a location on the motherboard , there is writing which says something along the lines of "to DAC" where the pins come into contact with tje mainboard. Without it attached the picture still decodes, and the lights come on, indicating audio channels, makes me think the decoder was flashed somehow but there is no sound on scrambled channels.

dunkyd

Expert Member
Talking of chipping, I see no more mention of gyppoing decoders anymore?
Asked innocently about it to a techie working next door and he just smiled but his tool carrier seems to get a bit excited when saying "you want?"

PaulB_

Well the decoder got shut off today... Oh well, back to research.

I found something which may be gold, but circuitry is not my thing, and I refuse to post out in the open for obvious reasons.
If there is anybody here who understands diagrams and all that, PM me and I'll share my findings, and once again, I do not support piracy, this is strictly educational.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
If you want the chips, they're being sold at Milnerton Fleamarket.
Unfortunately they're worthless. They changed the system with the Comcrypt 4000 decoder which is too much effort to hack... the audio decryption key changed too often