Can we sue Rain

MadMax47

Isn't bad service against the consumer act what will happen if we lodge complaints to ICASA

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Isn't bad service against the consumer act what will happen if we lodge complaints to ICASA
Hi MadMax47,

Please drop us a DM with the email address linked to your rain account so we can further investigate your query?

Kiemo

You need lots of money yes ... but if you have just Change to a better service

thecarblogsa

Hi MadMax47,

Please drop us a DM with the email address linked to your rain account so we can further investigate your query?
Would love it if you actually could help me too... I mean using my Vodacom contract data to browse the internet between rainshedding schedules.

I am actively watching your system drop my routers connection every night between 6-8 ...I have no internet whatsoever... I suspect this is because you are over capacity.

@MadMax47 let me know when you want to go to the consumer commission, I know some people who will gladly join in, including me.

Misanthrope

Sure you can sue them but the only reaction you'll get is from the rain rep on here asking you to drop them a DM so they can further investigate your problem.

I believe the reason we no longer hear about rain's pie in the sky visions or why you can no longer speak to their customer care center is because they are all out investigating problems.

But with lawyers not being renowned for their technical capabilities you may just find one hanging around online. Depending of course whether they use rain or another ISP.

Misanthrope

Just as an example:

On 11 May I logged yet another complaint due to the signal dropping the whole time.

This is what followed:

11/05 @ 16:27 from rain to me

"Hi, thanks for getting in touch.

Your reference number is (1568474).

A rain agent will response to your query in the coming days.
If you need to follow up on a request, please reply on this email trail and DON'T create a new request on the website.

Thanks for your patience,

rain"

11/05 @ 16:46 from me to rain

"Why the coming days - how long are these days. Must I be content with poor or no signal until the coming days come."

12/05 @ 11:17 from rain to me

"HI

Please note there is an issue with the tower you are connected to but we are busy sorting it out as soon as possible and will advise you once sorted"

12/05 @ 12:28 from me to rain

"Thank you for the quick response.
Any indication how long this will take?"

And that, as they say, was that. No feedback, no advise, no nothing, zilch, zero, nada, net mooi fokkol.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
You can always cancel
And then what?

A lot of people that use RAIN, have zero alternatives, or so I've come to deduce throughout the masses of "RAIN is fukked" threads...

If you use RAIN and have other viable options, you are an idiot, of course.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
And then what?

A lot of people that use RAIN, have zero alternatives, or so I've come to deduce throughout the masses of "RAIN is fukked" threads...

If you use RAIN and have other viable options, you are an idiot, of course.
What's going to happen if somebody sues Rain?
I'll tell you the best case scenario is they get their account cancelled and get a refund for the months that the service was unusual.

Misanthrope

Exactly. Just change providers if you're unhappy.
If only I had access to fiber.

But then again why should I?

We have a contract - I pay them R 250/month in advance and in return they provide me with 19hrs unlimited data/day for that month.

They offered the package and after weighing up my options I chose to accept it.

So, by your reasoning, if a service provider can't provide you with the service you already paid for, you'll just accept being shafted, shrug your shoulders and move on?

I don't think so.

ronald911

Expert Member
I totally feel your pain... Up until last month I was on the legacy Rain Fixed LTE package (which is capped at 220gb and 24/7) via Afrihost and at times the connection went below 1mbps. When I contacted Afrihost, they blamed Rain. When I contacted Rain, they said I should contact Afrihost. So super messed up.

I then contacted the ISPA and lodged a complaint. According to the ISPA, ISP's (eg Afrihost) aren't allowed to pass blame to the upstream provider and tell the customer.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
If only I had access to fiber.

But then again why should I?

We have a contract - I pay them R 250/month in advance and in return they provide me with 19hrs unlimited data/day for that month.

They offered the package and after weighing up my options I chose to accept it.

So, by your reasoning, if a service provider can't provide you with the service you already paid for, you'll just accept being shafted, shrug your shoulders and move on?

I don't think so.
So a refund will solve your gripe? :unsure:

blowdart18

The fact that Rain has offered you a refund in your other thread is decent of them, considering you are not tied up into a contract either is also fair.

"Unfortunately this is not something we can solve quickly, and even more so during this lock down period. This means we cannot remedy your situation now. If you believe the service is not workable, rain will refund you the costs of the service since the lock down and cancel your service. "