Canceling MTN Contract

marhsava

Why is it so painful to cancel an MTN contract?

Phoned 135, they put me thru the retention department and have been on hold for an hour listening to there crap music.

Any easier way to cancel your contract?

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
Yeah dude, same experience as I had a couple of years back. Make sure you ask for a cancellation conformation letter and then a letter stating that the contact was cancelled and balance owed is R0. This took me 3 years to get. If I remember correctly, MTN still does cancellations with a letter that has to be faxed/emailed to them.

On a side note, I cancelled my one Vodacom contract this morning. Spent maybe 5mins on the phone with them and 2 mins later, I received my letter. What a pleasure, thus far.

Magnum

Expert Member

Phoned 135, they put me thru the retention department and have been on hold for an hour listening to there crap music.

One does not cancel a MTN account. They refused to cancel mine and eventually the sent in the debt collectors. Then for every threatening SMS they sent they recieved 10 000 emails telling them to stop harassing me. Works like a charm.

EasyUp Web Hosting

EasyUp Web Hosting
Company Rep
One does not cancel a MTN account. They refused to cancel mine and eventually the sent in the debt collectors. Then for every threatening SMS they sent they recieved 10 000 emails telling them to stop harassing me. Works like a charm.

This was my experience as well. I got it solved by spending one day (yes, a complete working day) on the phone with MTN, talking to everyone they said I must talk too, just to get a letter stating that I owe R0 and that the account has been closed.

HumanShield

It was quite easy on my side. I called them a month and a half before the termination date and they said I should call back the day the contract expires. I think it was 173 or 808 that I had to call. Actually did it the day before. Spoke to someone, they put the cancellation through then got a call from Retentions a few hours later trying to sell me another contract. I flat out refused any other contract and cancellation was done a few mins after that. Got the SMS and contract was cancelled. Never had any debit order go off after that.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
It was quite easy on my side... and cancellation was done a few mins after that. Got the SMS and contract was cancelled. Never had any debit order go off after that.

How long after did you get the sms, and what did it say?

After 10 years with MTN I finally canceled two of my contracts yesterday and converted them to prepaid. Will port my main number to either Afrihost Mobile or Telkom Mobile, still deciding.

But how do I confirm that the SIMs are now on prepaid?

Last edited:

yebocan

Honorary Master
How long after did you get the sms, and what did it say?

After 10 years with MTN I finally canceled two of my contracts yesterday and converted them to prepaid. Will port my main number to either Afrihost Mobile or Telkom Mobile, still deciding.

But how do I confirm that the SIMs are now on prepaid?

*141# ...option 2...then option 5 - if still on contract you would see an "upgrade eligibility" option.

Marcell1992

MTN is horrendous in cancellations. We've cancelled 2+ times with them to finally get it cancelled after writing a threatening letter as they kept debiting our account, it's just sad my mother didn't take it further, I would've if it was in my name. Based on the experience listed above, I believe it's "better" to go in store and cancel.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
If you go the afrihost way you don't need to port, just change the APN.
Yes but I want voice/airtime via Afrihost as well. Was already using the Afrihost data APN whilst on MTN contract. Having both from one provider would simplify the process of tracking usage and topping up etc.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
MTN is horrendous in cancellations. We've cancelled 2+ times with them to finally get it cancelled after writing a threatening letter as they kept debiting our account, it's just sad my mother didn't take it further, I would've if it was in my name. Based on the experience listed above, I believe it's "better" to go in store and cancel.
Yep I went in-store to cancel. Funny thing was that the employee picked up her cell, dialed the call center and let me speak with them. :X3: They don't actually deal with queries in-store anymore besides selling devices and signing up new contracts.

Yenolo

I don't understand these cell phone 'contracts'. The deffinition of a contract as far as I'm aware has always been that its a binding agreement between two parties for a specific length of time. Why then, come the end of the 'contact' period does the sim card not automatically change to pre paid, unless otherwise extended by the customer? Surely what the cell phone companies do is not legal?

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I don't understand these cell phone 'contracts'. The deffinition of a contract as far as I'm aware has always been that its a binding agreement between two parties for a specific length of time. Why then, come the end of the 'contact' period does the sim card not automatically change to pre paid, unless otherwise extended by the customer? Surely what the cell phone companies do is not legal?
That is a common misconception. Contracts do not have to be for a specific length of time, they can be indefinite. Think of your "permanent" employment contract as an example.

Contracts dictate the terms between parties. Here they dictate that you are locked in for a specific period wherein you pay an amount as demanded for services rendered. After said period, services are rendered and charged for on a month-to-month basis until the contract is terminated by either party.

Unfortunately most retail contracts are loaded in favor of the service provider, you are not able to negotiate the terms as a retail customer. This (in the form of the numerous clauses) allows the provider to chop and change rates and or/services provided as and when they choose.

It is unfortunate but true.

D3fl3ct1on

because it just is.
ive been waiting for a Voice recording which placed me into another 2 year contract been waiting 5 months for this dumb stuff to be over with.

even got attourneies in to sort this out. MTN are a bunch of snakes when you want to get out.
6 yEArs with them n this is what i get when i wanna cancel.

D3fl3ct1on

Having the hardest time with MTN geeeez
Month 5 asking for them to cancel my service which i did not ask for an upgrade. and still paying for it.

NEO123

Step aside Telkom, MTN takes customer service to the next level when it comes to contracts.

- Stores are hopeless, only good enough to sign a contact and pick up your device
- Call center agents are rude - well 99.99% of them are.

Things have really gone pear-shaped for this network.

Vodacom might have their issues but I will be moving over to them once this MTN sentence has ended.

D3fl3ct1on

Waaaaahahaha

i ask there MTN helpline to forward my phone call recording as they said it will be availabe at a store.

go to the store to ask n have been told they dont forward calls to the stores, does any1 know how this dumb call recoding crap is done n how do i listen to it.

S3XY

I can relate to all the experiences above but I think through my struggles I am also winning a little bit.

I had a R399pm contract (Sim Only.) I have been struggling the past month to cancel the contract (switch to prepaid to switch network), as they cannot seem to find my payments for May and June. According to them, I have to pay an early termination fee of R1197.00 (R399 + R399*2, one month's invoice + 2xmissing payments). When I speak to the accounts departments, they can see I made all the payments, but the retentions department cannot for some reason.

Then, when I went into the app I saw a notification for upgrade. Then I went into the store yesterday, "upgraded" to a new 24 month contract of R39pm. This morning I called retentions and all that I have to pay to close the account is R154.00. Suddenly now, they can see all my payments and my early termination fee is now based on the R39pm contract and not the R399pm contract.

I have now made the ETF payment, so hope I get the letter soon.