Canceling MTN Contract

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I can relate to all the experiences above but I think through my struggles I am also winning a little bit.

I had a R399pm contract (Sim Only.) I have been struggling the past month to cancel the contract (switch to prepaid to switch network), as they cannot seem to find my payments for May and June. According to them, I have to pay an early termination fee of R1197.00 (R399 + R399*2, one month's invoice + 2xmissing payments). When I speak to the accounts departments, they can see I made all the payments, but the retentions department cannot for some reason.

Then, when I went into the app I saw a notification for upgrade. Then I went into the store yesterday, "upgraded" to a new 24 month contract of R39pm. This morning I called retentions and all that I have to pay to close the account is R154.00. Suddenly now, they can see all my payments and my early termination fee is now based on the R39pm contract and not the R399pm contract.

I have now made the ETF payment, so hope I get the letter soon.
Probably a scummy "retentions" strategy.

ThatOtherDude

I was lucky
I guess.

was on a MTN Sky Light unlimited package.
I cancelled over the phone + sent a cancellation email.

had to pay for the current month 1 (the current month I was in)
also had to paid for 1 additional month (for them to cover costs?)

my contract (air time) ended at the end of month 1.

I moved to pay as you go

best decision ever.

greenbean32

Hi, I know this is a bit of a necro but I have the same issue/s.
Has anybody had a contract complete and then they still charge the same amount. Called them yesterday and they said I took out a Sim only contract, while I am telling the agent I am calling from the phone that came with the contract.

Anyway this the only the third day I am trying to cancel my contract.

Any help, tips or advice would be appreciated.

Lakhi10

Can anyone let me know I want to take out an MTN contract for data
What's the cancellation policy like because lady over phone says I'll have to pay remainder of whole contract if I want to cancel early

SB Lambrick

I just called MTN from their Website, had to listen to long boring irrelevant messages, before given options, cancelations option did not come so i waited, MTN then said " you have not made a selection, good bye".
I phoned again on a different number to hear same boring long long message, then MTN announces cancelation number has changed, please dial **** good bye.??? ###@@@$$&&**
Realy MTN!!

M0e96

Hi, I know this is a bit of a necro but I have the same issue/s.
Has anybody had a contract complete and then they still charge the same amount. Called them yesterday and they said I took out a Sim only contract, while I am telling the agent I am calling from the phone that came with the contract.

Anyway this the only the third day I am trying to cancel my contract.

Any help, tips or advice would be appreciated.
It took me 3 months to cancel my contract and they hit me with a R 1400 charge for data usage after 3 emails, numerous phone calls, and 3 visits in-store. The only time they actually put the cancellation through was after I reported it to CPA and they still haven't paid back the money that they charged me.

Ganguloon

It took me 3 months to cancel my contract and they hit me with a R 1400 charge for data usage after 3 emails, numerous phone calls, and 3 visits in-store. The only time they actually put the cancellation through was after I reported it to CPA and they still haven't paid back the money that they charged me.
Hi. I find myself in the same problem now. My contract ended about a month to 2 months ago. I didn't know that I had to go and cancel the contract myself. I found that they were still deducting the same amount and also uploaded data onto my sim. I called the customer care line. The lady told me that there was an outstanding amount that needed to be paid before I could cancel the contract. I made the payment and decided not to cancel but upgrade.

When I applied for the upgrade, I was told by the lady who helped me that the old contract was automatically going to be cancelled. I asked to use the same number of the first contract.

I received a message from mtn last Friday saying that the amount that I used to pay was changing to a bigger amount - R1400. I found today that data was uploaded onto my sim - the new contract and also data for the old one. Does this mean that I have to pay the R1400 also? I tried by all means, but customer care would always refer me to the mtn store where I'm staying, but at the store they would tell me that I need to dial 135. Any advice will be appreciated.

Kindly Regards

M0e96

Hi. I find myself in the same problem now. My contract ended about a month to 2 months ago. I didn't know that I had to go and cancel the contract myself. I found that they were still deducting the same amount and also uploaded data onto my sim. I called the customer care line. The lady told me that there was an outstanding amount that needed to be paid before I could cancel the contract. I made the payment and decided not to cancel but upgrade.

When I applied for the upgrade, I was told by the lady who helped me that the old contract was automatically going to be cancelled. I asked to use the same number of the first contract.

I received a message from mtn last Friday saying that the amount that I used to pay was changing to a bigger amount - R1400. I found today that data was uploaded onto my sim - the new contract and also data for the old one. Does this mean that I have to pay the R1400 also? I tried by all means, but customer care would always refer me to the mtn store where I'm staying, but at the store they would tell me that I need to dial 135. Any advice will be appreciated.

Kindly Regards
The only thing that seems to help them actually sort out the problem is reporting them to the CPA. Try opening a case with CPA against them.

BayCityRoller

Kindly Regards
You should do your best to get to an MTN Regional Office, depending on where you live - they used to list them on the back of one of the pages - 2nd ? - of the monthly invoices - probably still do ? ... not just a regular MTN store / shop.

That's what I did in approx. 2010 to cancel an MTN contract, and they gave me a canx. letter confirming it as soon as they'd put the cancellation through. Never had any issues over it, since.