Cancelling Telkom internet, keeping email

Marsie27

A friend has moved and can't have a Telkom line or ADSL, but wants to keep her Telkomsa email address and years of emails. She knows what admin process she needs to follow with Telkom, but has asked for help with her existing emails, which are in folders in Outlook 2007. She has been told she needs to back up her emails as her mailbox will be wiped and re-created. Is it sufficient to make a copy of her folders on her desktop? Or what? I last used Outlook yonks ago and have never used Telkomsa email. I recollect part of a thread dealing with this a while back, but am having no luck finding it now, and she needs to do this tomorrow. Help, please, anyone?

RedViking

Nord of the South
There are a couple of ways if I remember (don't use outlook anymore) .

1. Google making backup of Outlook account and emails. There was a file, probably a couple of gig big, that you can backup.

2. That file can become corrupt so you must also backup individual emails. There is an option in Outlook to export your emails and backup them.

3. Create a folder for inbox, sent etc. Somewhere or on your desktop and drag and drop all the emails from outlook into those folders.

Marsie27

What about the part of keeping her Telkomsa email address active guys?
That, Supersunbird, remains to be seen. I backed up her folders this morning and she was going back to a particular person she had seen before at a Telkom branch for the next step this afternoon.

Stokstert

Executive Member
What about the part of keeping her Telkomsa email address active guys?

To keep my Telkom email I have phoned 10210, and they did the rest. It costs R152.25 per year. That was at least
15 years ago and is still running as a throw-away address since then without a problem.
The contact number is still the same on their invoices.

Marsie27

Our friend spent 1.5 hours at the branch. They managed to cancel her old email but didn't manage to recreate the new mailbox. She said she will go back tomorrow, but I will pass on your advice, Stokstert.

Marsie27

Feedback: Telkom finally sorted out our friend's 'mailbox only' account sorted yesterday, 6 days after she gave the authorisation to close her old one and open the new one (as per Telkom's system) and after 4 trips from Pinelands to Telkom at Canal Walk, about 12km away. As told to her, there was a 'shadow' on her old Telkom internet account which they needed to sort out first which was blocking the creation of the new mailbox. More like outer darkness than a shadow - on their system they still had her address as the one she left 7 years ago, despite the fact that she's been receiving her accounts regularly, and correctly addressed, at the address she moved to in 2012. Thanks for the help, guys.

ld13

Honorary Master
Feedback: Telkom finally sorted out our friend's 'mailbox only' account sorted yesterday,

I am going through this for a friend and was wondering if you know how much this "mainbox only" service costs these days?

Marsie27

It's around R17 a month - apparently the amount varies slightly from month to month. It takes a bit of perseverance to get it sorted, so your friend will probably be without Telkomsa email for a few days, and any emails sent to him/her during that time will likely disappear into a deep hole somewhere. I sent a couple of test emails during the hiatus, and they haven't arrived, and nor did they get returned to me as undeliverable. In retrospect I guess it might have helped if she had sent a message to her contact list addresses warning of this.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Why was it necessary to close the existing email account in the first place, just to create a new one?
Did you get an explanation of what it meant to have a "shadow" on her email address?

And did you come right with backing up all existing emails downloaded in Outlook?

Marsie27

Why was it necessary to close the existing email account in the first place, just to create a new one?
Did you get an explanation of what it meant to have a "shadow" on her email address?
And did you come right with backing up all existing emails downloaded in Outlook?

Q1: That's a good question, but it's the way Telkom says it has to happen. Go figure... Maybe it's because her TI connection was via a landline, in terms of her account, which she no longer has - see below.
Q2:I wasn't with her when she went to the branch, or I would have pushed them for an explanation.
She had given notice in September for her phone line and ADSL to be tranferred when she moved to the retirement village in November, but despite the fact that people there with Telkom lines pass on regularly they couldn't [read: wouldn't] assign one of those to her. Part of the Telkom let's get rid of copper connections plan? They didn't bother to tell her that, so she only found out once her scheduled date for re-connection had passed and no one arrived. She has kept the request for those open - maybe that was the shadow?
Q3: We saved them in a folder on her desktop and will need to re-import them to Outlook, but she is away for a few days.
Hmm sorry - I tried to intersperse the answers with the questions but that didn't work.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No problem I fully understand what you are saying. There are some in Telkom that firmly believe Telkom is deliberately trying to shut down copper services. Yet Openserve says it is not. That is a dilemma because it means within some parts of Telkom there is the view that this is the plan and no one seems to be addressing it to confirm or deny and sort it out.

Then in comes, the belief that ISP services and a physical ADSL connection are tied at the hip, which is also NOT so - Goes to the point that there is a huge gap in the training of personnel in Telkom. Especially in front office staff, who don't have a clue about how to run the BSS systems properly.

Okay so the Outlook backup now exists and if done via the facilities in Outlook the re-import will be possible. A necessary thing to do anyway at regular intervals. BUT, none of this affects what ISP services interface with Outlook. You can change that at any time without affecting any emails already downloaded. You can create and delete and recreate services at any time.

When you are ready to go ahead contact me via PM. I have done this quite a few times in the past with no adverse issues at all.

Last edited:

Marsie27

When you are ready to go ahead contact me via PM. I have done this quite a few times in the past with no adverse issues at all.

Thanks, Geoff, I appreciate your kind offer - that's what makes this forum great.

Stokstert

Executive Member
I saw that, but read it as that is what it cost 15 years ago.

Sorry for not being clear enough. It is still R152.25 per year since I changed to email only 15 years ago.

Last edited: