Canon DSLR Error

johncgalloway

Hi

I've got a Canon EOS 600D I bought from Game some five (or more) years ago. It is stored in a bag, and safely so. Never exposed to water. In fact I have not used it all that much. Yet, I started experiencing an issue where an error would come onto the screen, something like "Error 01 - can't communicate with the lens", after cleaning the contacts and / or turning the camera off and on this would usually go away.

However, as time went by the Camera started giving the error more and more. Eventually I read online to do a flash update, which is what I did and it seemed to do the trick... for a while. Well safe to say I passed the warranty point and then the whole issue flared up again with a vengeance. So much so that as of a couple of months ago, I basically have no use of the camera.

Since, as mentioned, I don't really use it that much, I haven't really given it as much attention as I should - seeing as how it is a relatively expensive piece of equipment (for me), but when speaking to my manager - who has an even older model Canon that has given him no troubles since he bought it years before I got mine - I was hoping to find an answer or suggestion on here.

Have any of you come across this before, any idea what it could be?

maumau

Honorary Master
Is there a local agent? I'd contact them, it might be something minor.

johncgalloway

Is there a local agent? I'd contact them, it might be something minor.
Someone told me to take it to a place called ORMS, they look like a camera dealer, so I'll probably do that. I had hoped it would be something I could fix myself, as pumping another R1000 or so into this camera and no surety that it would fix it... I'm not sure I'd be up to that. Might end up just selling it voetstoots and buying a newer one. Though only after the EoY.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Have a look at this thread:

Especially these two comments:
Hi- I've been searching an answer for a similar problem and came across the suggestion to shoot in AV mode at the highest possible f value and then to start shooting at lower values and you should find it soon works like normal. Hope that helps, it worked for me!
Turn IS off and see if you still have the problem.
It could also be that there was oxidation on the contacts due to it being used so little. Or rather because the lens is changed infrequently.
After being robbed and burgled of the stuff which I find expensive and precious, I decided to just use everything as often as possible. You have no guarantee that the item you baby will still be yours tomorrow...

johncgalloway

Have a look at this thread:

Especially these two comments:

It could also be that there was oxidation on the contacts due to it being used so little. Or rather because the lens is changed infrequently.
After being robbed and burgled of the stuff which I find expensive and precious, I decided to just use everything as often as possible. You have no guarantee that the item you baby will still be yours tomorrow...
Thanks! Will have a look. Yeah, I actually wanted to get a DSLR as I liked taking photographs, but I don't get around as much as I used to (should like to), so less reasons to make use of it. (But I do like taking pics of the moon and so on, I would very much like to get a telescope that I could connect it to for some amateur astrophotography.)