Cape Town Animals

wizzard2

My boys love animals,especially lions "the lion king and lion gaurd fans" .

I live in Cape Town but I don't know of any place i can take them to for viewing and learning.

I was at the cape town zoo once many years back but I dont think they operate any longer.

Your suggestions can make my boys day :)

Thanks again.

porchrat

Honorary Master
Drakenstein Lion Park in Paarl maybe?

They have a chimp sanctuary as well I think.

Never been myself though.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Monkey Town and the Crocodile Farm. At the Croc Farm they will even let the kids handle the baby crocs, but my kids being girls were to freaked out :)

porchrat

Honorary Master
World of Birds is a good place
Was going to mention this but I heard "lions". If the kids are into birds and some smaller animals like foxes and terrapins and such then World of Birds is top notch. You can walk into the enclosures with the birds and everything.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Butterfly World is also awesome.

Small animals of course, but still very cool.

Beyond the Two Oceans Aquarium of course.

wizzard2

Oh yea I forgot about those guys. I've actually been to that one. They have a few other animals other than the lions though none of it is super impressive if memory serves. For convenience though I stay so close to Melkbos that the drive is far quicker for me.
Im on the west coast aswell so the drive wouldnt be too far. Lions would be 1st prize without a doubt, but the monkeys would do well too.

wizzard2

Drakenstein Lion Park in Paarl maybe?

They have a chimp sanctuary as well I think.

Never been myself though.
Havent heard of them yet but then again havent been to paarl too. Might be a good excuse to make the trip.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Sad thing that we dont have our own zoo. Been to the zoo in pretoria and its very big,they even have a cable car where you fly over zoo.
Thanks again all.

porchrat

Honorary Master
Im on the west coast aswell so the drive wouldnt be too far. Lions would be 1st prize without a doubt, but the monkeys would do well too.
Not sure that farmstall place has many monkeys. They've got lions. I think they have some crocs too. Some birds as well. It isn't big though. I doubt you could make a day of it.

World of Birds is going to take you hours to get through if you want to see it all. It is massive.

Drakenstein unfortunately I haven't been to yet but I've seen it from the road (you can actually see the lions from the road which is surprising). They've also got white lions which is cool.

It is a pity that Cape Town doesn't have a zoo. Then again sometimes I feel zoos are cruel anyway. Meh I don't know. Still a great way to learn for the youngsters.

If you're ever out near Oudtshoorn they have an amazing animal sanctuary there and a cheetah breeding program and everything. Top notch to be sure. You can spend time with the cheetah cubs for an astronomical price and also they submerge a cage into the croc pools if you want to do it.

Last edited:

wizzard2

Drakenstein Lion Park, http://lionrescue.org.za/. I've been a couple of times. They also have a tented camp if you wanted to stay a night or two.
Thanks , they look really good and I've put it on my list. One thing though, Is it a whole day type of place or just 1 or 2 hours? Seeing as I will be taking a little bit of a drive outside of town. If its not a whole day kinda thing then I will need to make provision for some other activities in Paarl aswell. Doesnt make sense to drive so far, and not stay long enough to enjoy the place.

AyeFinch

You could do the whole park in a couple of hours if you're hoofing it... Alternatively you could make a day out of it and have lunch up the road at Simonsvlei.

Give them a call to find out what the feeding days and times are. Hearing all those lions get excited about chow coming is pretty impressive.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Crocodile farm on your way to Franshoek - Le Bonheur.
A Lion and Chimp park between Paarl an Klapmuts.
Butterfly world is also there on your way to Stellenbosch from the N1 side.

Sensorei

Executive Member
Imhoff Farm in Kommetjie. Awesome place for kids with lots of animals, and it has a great restaurant for the parents next to a play area.

SummerSmiles

There is a cheetah sanctuary at Spier Wine Farm.

Beautiful place, lovely little restaurant called Moyo there. Or, I think you can bring a picnic and choose a nice spot on the grass under a tree to relax and sip on some Spier wine ;)

When I went it was R5.00 to walk through the place where they keep the cheetahs, see them from afar. Or you can pay for a 'personal encounter'.

http://www.cheetah.co.za/encounters.html

porchrat

Honorary Master
There is a cheetah sanctuary at Spier Wine Farm.

Beautiful place, lovely little restaurant called Moyo there. Or, I think you can bring a picnic and choose a nice spot on the grass under a tree to relax and sip on some Spier wine ;)

When I went it was R5.00 to walk through the place where they keep the cheetahs, see them from afar. Or you can pay for a 'personal encounter'.

http://www.cheetah.co.za/encounters.html
They used to do a rather good raptor show there as well. Not sure if they still do. Haven't been in years.