Capitec Bank Software Upgrade Disaster

Taranis

Banned
Capitec offers internet banking to its customers. In fact they push this as part of the attraction.

Months ago I reported trouble installing the software on an iPhone. The bank manager also said she had problems getting the initial SMS in order to install the software. Apparently Entersekt, the authors of this app said they didn't get notification of these problems. They are now suddenly aware of problems relating to the iPhone.

Capitec support has been very marginal, and are not equipped to deal with this type of error. (Sounds like they are reading a script). I persevered and managed to get around the issues by using another phone and transferring the download information. It worked (in a fashion) until recently when they released a new app. It is not an upgrade, it's a new app.

There is apparently no way to use the new software on an iPhone at present. You can't bypass the upgrade and continue with the old, working release.

The company tells me they tested it, but clearly Intersekt have not done even the fundamental tests. It amazes me that a bank can sign off on software like this.

F

Fudzy

Truth.

But I'm not willing to pay Blapsa's extortionate amounts either...

Person responsible for testing/approving of the apps should get a good talking to...
I wouldn't pay that company a cent either. FNB's prices are structured well around my expectations of a bank and the stuff I get back.

I sincerely hope that their client software/apps are managed by a difference PMO to their back-end systems.

MKFrost

Expert Member
Installed on the wife's iPhone and my Android without any problems. Works as it should on both devices so not to sure what problems you had while installing.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I wouldn't pay that company a cent either. FNB's prices are structured well around my expectations of a bank and the stuff I get back.

I sincerely hope that their client software/apps are managed by a difference PMO to their back-end systems.
We were this weekend at FNB in Menlyn. Disaster, all the consultants was busy. Waited more than 30 minutes before we left. We had our kids with us, so we could not wait longer.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master

I'm happy paying peanuts as I get more value out of my Capitec account than my FNB one.

akescpt

Honorary Master
so can I upgrade the old app from my phone or must you go in to install?

Rivin

Company Rep
Completely seamless iphone upgrade for me, the new remote banking SMS took a few minutes to come through, but painless from there. The new app is simple and straight-forward, does everything I expect.

You were unlucky, and you're right about their customer services being a bit weak. Their support is probably not particularly geared towards iphone users. Those who are on iphone wanting to upgrade, it does work and the remote banking ios app is great.

(iPhone 4s with IOS7)

kianm

Honorary Master
Maybe OP should check with another device and see if the problem is there, might be an issue specific only to their device

blunt

Expert Member
No issues with the new remote banking app on latest iOS release on an iPhone 5.

Also have it working fine on a Galaxy S4 mini.

Taranis

Banned
so can I upgrade the old app from my phone or must you go in to install?
It is necessary to uninstall the old one according to Capitec.

My problem is that the phone never gets the confirmation SMS.

I'm running iOS 6.1.6 on a 3GS, which iTunes says is compatible.

In fact the new version (Global One Money Management) says iOS 5.1.1 and above.

This is a change from the old (Capitec Bank Online), which asks for iOS 5.0 or later.

Here is the CURRENT compatibility list.
  • Windows Mobile DOES NOT RUN in case anyone has one of those.
  • Android 2.2 or higher.
  • Blackberry 5 and higher.
  • Blackberry 10 (v. 10.2.1)

The way I got around it is by sending the SMS to another simple cellphone, then using that link to download the app on the iPhone. Then I changed the phone number at the branch to the iPhone, and it works.

I think they scuppered my workaround by forcing any cellphone number change to be confirmed by SMS, so no change is possible at the bank without getting that bloody SMS on the iPhone.

Entersekt claims their software should work and were not aware of the initial problem from months ago. Yep, nobody at Capitec raised it, even their head office.

Now they say they are aware of the problem.

Clearly their developers are making changes designed for later phones, but retaining the compatibility claims on their software.

The software is pretty basic, and there is no need to use any enhancements available on later iOS.

Believe it or not, but Capitec says the software was tested by their managers (LOL :wtf:). Local software house based in Stellenbosch. Their release manager should be ashamed. It seems pretty ad-hoc for banking software - or any sort of software if you ask me.

MKFrost

Expert Member
It is necessary to uninstall the old one according to Capitec.....
Installed on both Android and iPhone with the old apps still on there without any problems. Actually still have the old apps on both phones now that I think of it.