Capitec no longer allows "/" in the beneficiary reference

nicroets

I just ran into this problem when trying to pay the management agent of the HOA.

Luckily I had FNB where it wasn't a problem.

I just thought I'd mention it so that admin people can prepare for this.

Unless Capitec backs down on this soon.

I just ran into this problem when trying to pay the management agent of the HOA.

Luckily I had FNB where it wasn't a problem.

I just thought I'd mention it so that admin people can prepare for this.

Unless Capitec backs down on this soon.
This is the end of the world as we know it

Perhaps I'm missing something but maybe don't use a "/"?
Or replace with "-"

That will be fine for small businesses that manually copy their bank statements into their accounting systems.

For the rest, I guess it depends how forgiving the according package is.

Perhaps I'm missing something but maybe don't use a "/"?
Best guess is that some services (crypto exchanges) require a specific reference to be used for them to validate the transaction quicker. Might be an issue if it has a / in the reference. Dunno. OP is lacking in details.

Or replace with "-"

That will be fine for small businesses that manually copy their bank statements into their accounting systems.

For the rest, I guess it depends how forgiving the according package is.
Or you run the CSV through a "Find & Replace" script and use the results.
Also, not sure how many Corporate Enterprises are using Capitec, not really their target market.

Option 1:
Sanitize user input.

Option 2:
Add client-side validation to prevent a /

Can see all that Capitec pentesting money getting well spent lol.

Best guess is that some services (crypto exchanges) require a specific reference to be used for them to validate the transaction quicker. Might be an issue if it has a / in the reference. Dunno. OP is lacking in details.
for bank registered beneficiaries (i.e. SARS, Eskom etc, and at least one well known crypto exchange) the banks can set formatting/validation rules specific to that beneficiary for the reference, no need for a blanket rule to affect everyone else

This can be an issue if a specific reference is required and delay things. Absa has it better and limit the characters. Usually just sending a proof of payment helps, but someone in admin has to go do some actual work looking for your payment instead of just running a scipt or macros.

Back