Car for R100k-130k

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Hey guys,
Currently have a Hyundai Getz 1.6l 2007 model. Actually not a bad car, I'm not a massive car guy so I don't look at cars and go oof look at that 2.0l turbo vtec or whatever. But I have had this car for 4 years now and I want to get something else.

I bought my Getz with 127k km's on it and now it has 161k km's, over 4 years. I guess I don't drive that much.
It's also been really easy to maintain, replacing the battery, clutch master cylinder and even the rear window (smash and grab) has been super cheap.

But it's getting a little long in the tooth. I want something with a bit more power and newer. If it's still easy to maintain, then nice. I think my Getz is 70kw, so something with 80-90 would be great.

A few cars I've seen that I like;
Hyundai i20/i30 1.6 GLS - seems similar to my car just with a bit more power and newer features.
2012 Ford Focus 1.6 Ambiente
Ford Fiesta - But I've heard terrible things about these cars being broken into
Opel Corsa Essentia 1.0T

Your thoughts suggestions etc?

PhireSide

Executive Member
Rather go for the i20 than the i30 if you are looking to stay with Hyundai.

The i30 has the same engine in (1.6 G4FC) but with a lot more body to haul around. Fuel economy and performance suffers as a result. Take it from me - I own one:)

I second the Suzuki Swift idea. They are very nippy for their size and price and reliable as can come

Fro

A 2015 (or newer) Mazda 2 or 3 would be a nice upgrade. I like the current-gen Astra too but I don't know if it's in your budget, although the Corsa probably is.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Rather go for the i20 than the i30 if you are looking to stay with Hyundai.

The i30 has the same engine in (1.6 G4FC) but with a lot more body to haul around. Fuel economy and performance suffers as a result. Take it from me - I own one:)

I second the Suzuki Swift idea. They are very nippy for their size and price and reliable as can come
But the Swift Sport? Won't it be too uncomfortable for someone who is just looking for a car with decent power?

ChrisThomas

I would recommend the corsa all day long. The hyundai's albeit nice cars, if you are up at altitude those naturally aspirated engines seem so asthmatic and fuel economy is not great. Maybe also just have a look at the Opel Adam if you don't need a big car. They are packed full of features and they have plenty of power from their 1 liter turbo.

thechamp

Honorary Master
This but the facelift 2013+ model
They discontinued the 1.6 engine at went with 1.2 and 1.4 on those if I am not mistaken. I also seem remember thinking they also stripped it of a couple of other features that were present in the first Gen, I am not a fan.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
They discontinued the 1.6 engine at went with 1.2 and 1.4 on those if I am not mistaken. I also seem remember thinking they also stripped it of a couple of other features that were present in the first Gen, I am not a fan.
They might only have stripped those features out of the base model 1.2
I owned the 1.4D and it had everything... heated folding mirrors, bluetooth, isofix, climate control, pdc and more as standard on the glide spec.
A family member had the one below which lacked climate control, alloys and a few airbags

Mokgaga

are you selling your Getz :X3:. i'll be happy to take it off your hands :giggle: