Car make and model database

debonair

Where can I get a database of all car makes and models available in the south african market, i.e the kind of information that you could find from those books they use at Midas to see which part belongs in your vehicle?

OuToppie

Expert Member
The magazine CAR publishes a list of all cars available in SA in every moth's issue.

Thor

Honorary Master
How else is he suppose to get a database of car make model compilations that doesn't exist

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
How else is he suppose to get a database of car make model compilations that doesn't exist
The hard way. Databases don't just fall out of the sky, they're actually created - one record at a time.

If he's trying to rip off an existing database and then repurpose it for some other commercial use, I don't view that as too positive.

Necropolis

Executive Member
The hard way. Databases don't just fall out of the sky, they're actually created - one record at a time.

If he's trying to rip off an existing database and then repurpose it for some other commercial use, I don't view that as too positive.
If the data is freely available online then he is free to use it - imo.

If he has stolen login details to get access to that data it would be a different story altogether.

iAmThePope

Thanks will write a scraper this evening to see what I can pull off http://www.um.co.za/specifications/
Be very careful with this. I was investigating this exact thing a few months ago (http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/684740-Vehicle-Information-API), most of these sites have dummy data in there to protect their interests. From Um.co.za's tc and cs

"Without derogating from the aforegoing, Unitrans Automotive hereby authorises you to view, copy, download to a local drive, print and distribute the content of this website, or any part thereof, provided that:
such content is used for information purposes only;
such content is used for non-commercial purposes. Without derogating from the aforegoing, you are expressly prohibited from incorporating any material from this website in any other work, publication or website either of your own or belonging to any third party;"

So long as you don't intend to make money off this then I guess it would be fine.

If you don't mind paying, give david@duoporta.com a shout, was very helpful when I spoke to him about something similar, they have API access or XML feeds.

Else try roz@diskdrive.co.za, last time I spoke to diskdrive.co.za they charged R500 ex a month for exactly what you want.