Career change to Java

sle7en

Good day fellow bloggers!

I am 32 years old, live in Centurion, Pretoria and have 10 years experience working in IT Security. I have always had a passion for software development but landed my first IT job as Symantec Technician about 10 years ago and grew to my current position as a Security Engineer.

In 2012 (after a bet with a friend) I self-taught myself Java and got Java certified. After I got Java certified I went for a few unsuccessful interviews but I did not make the cut. I am currently self-studying Java EE and planning to get certified again in June.

Can someone help me start my Java career. My current salary is R30k p.m. and I'm willing to start at R20k p.m. as long as its a Java development position in Gauteng. I'm willing to accept contract positions as well, as long as I will be getting pure Java development exposure.

Please p.m. me your replies.

Thanx

Sodan

Expert Member

I am 32 years old, live in Centurion, Pretoria and have 10 years experience working in IT Security. I have always had a passion for software development but landed my first IT job as Symantec Technician about 10 years ago and grew to my current position as a Security Engineer.

In 2012 (after a bet with a friend) I self-taught myself Java and got Java certified. After I got Java certified I went for a few unsuccessful interviews but I did not make the cut. I am currently self-studying Java EE and planning to get certified again in June.

Can someone help me start my Java career. My current salary is R30k p.m. and I'm willing to start at R20k p.m. as long as its a Java development position in Gauteng. I'm willing to accept contract positions as well, as long as I will be getting pure Java development exposure.

Thanx

Chat to WhiteRaven. She'll do her best to hook you up.

animal531

Expert Member
Just start writing anything you can in your free time. Once you can take code or demo things to people you'll be a lot better off.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned

Thanx

drop me an email with your CV @ cto@bidorbuy.co.za. If you search across MyBB you will find some background about our environment and what we do. I had some "Centurions" who hate the commute to Bryanston (we are literally next to the DiData campus). Our interview is casual - we will give you a Java task (i.e. whip together a web-project on Eclipse running Tomcat and use some of our webservices) and then present as part of the interview - if you manage that we make you an offer (provided that your personality fits as well)