CASI app: I just bought a sub :)

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
NB: I am in no way linked to this app, this is a purely personal opinion.

So I think this is an awesome idea: a cellphone-powered panic button that immediately guides the nearest armed response officer in your area to you.

It's called CASI ('Call All Stations Immediately') and I signed up for it this morning (at R35/month there's more benefit than risk): http://www.casi-app.com/

What do you guys think? Do you already use anything like this?

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Test it out and let me know what the response time is like...
Well, you get a call from the call centre as soon as you activate the app on your phone, which is impressive enough. The response time is claimed at 3.5 minutes to 5 mins if you're in one of their 'fast response' areas, but honestly hope that's not something I'll need to test!

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Well, you get a call from the call centre as soon as you activate the app on your phone, which is impressive enough. The response time is claimed at 3.5 minutes to 5 mins if you're in one of their 'fast response' areas, but honestly hope that's not something I'll need to test!
Still. I would test it out.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Still. I would test it out.
I don't believe in 'testing' emergency resources. Do you phone the Fire Department to check how quickly a fire engine will arrive at your house? Imagine if I 'tested' the service by logging an emergency, and the armed response guy who has to haul ass over to me could have saved some other guy's life if I hadn't been messing around? My tests extend as far as logging the complaint and checking with the call centre if it was received, which you can do (part of the onboarding process is to actually send an emergency signal which the operator confirms to you when they phone to welcome you).

SYNERGY

Executive Member
I don't believe in 'testing' emergency resources. Do you phone the Fire Department to check how quickly a fire engine will arrive at your house? Imagine if I 'tested' the service by logging an emergency, and the armed response guy who has to haul ass over to me could have saved some other guy's life if I hadn't been messing around? My tests extend as far as logging the complaint and checking with the call centre if it was received, which you can do (part of the onboarding process is to actually send an emergency signal which the operator confirms to you when they phone to welcome you).
True, but you are paying for the service. People test their alarm companies response time now and then.
I've seen a number of these bodyguard services - their response time is shocking. Hopefully yours will be different.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
True, but you are paying for the service. People test their alarm companies response time now and then.
I've seen a number of these bodyguard services - their response time is shocking. Hopefully yours will be different.
Ok, well here's one thing I forgot about: when I registered for CASI and went through that simulated emergency activation, it confirmed on-screen that the nearest armed response officer to me was 4km away (which seemed reasonable enough).

C4Cat

Honorary Master
It seems like a great idea to be honest and I'm quite interested, having been mugged a number of times.
It also appears quite new, I may wait a bit for feedback

What is the process when you click the button. Do they first call you like many other security companies or do they just come to the rescue? If I'm being mugged and my phone is being stolen, calling me first will be a bit useless

Also, unless I missed it, the website doesn't indicate what parts of the country they operate in?

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Ok, well here's one thing I forgot about: when I registered for CASI and went through that simulated emergency activation, it confirmed on-screen that the nearest armed response officer to me was 4km away (which seemed reasonable enough).
Yes that is. Seems more advanced then some of the others I've seen.

Thanks.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
It seems like a great idea to be honest and I'm quite interested, having been mugged a number of times.
It also appears quite new, I may wait a bit for feedback

What is the process when you click the button. Do they first call you like many other security companies or do they just come to the rescue? If I'm being mugged and my phone is being stolen, calling me first will be a bit useless

Also, unless I missed it, the website doesn't indicate what parts of the country they operate in?
Well jump on C4Cat, I figure the more people who take the service up, the more pulling power they'll have the with the armed response companies, and the better the service will get.

Regarding what happens when you click the button, the emergency responder gets directed immediately to you. That's shown in this graphic: http://www.casi-app.com/#section-5

Regarding the coverage, they're national, but depending on where you are you'll either fall into a 'rapid response zone' or a 'manual zone' (the app will inform you of that). As you'd expect, a lot of the big metropoles are rapid response zones at this point. Here's the detailed answer from CASI's FAQ:

What is the difference between a rapid response zone and a manual response zone? The Rapid Response Zone means that armed responders will be able to assist in in a fast and effective manner. These zones are highlighted where CASI has a strong responder footprint that gets automatically despatch on receiving a panic.The Manual Response Zone means that the armed responders are perhaps further than 5km away and that the call centre will intervene in order to assist the alerter and make sure armed responders will reach them as soon as possible.

How many responders does CASI have? CASI is a rapid growing initiative with new responders signing up everyday. With our current partners we have direct access to 300 armed responders.

Rubberpigg

Expert Member
Any feedback on this app?
What are the response times like?
Are there any additional costs on top of the monthly subscription fee?

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
If you need armed response and it takes longer than 30 seconds to arrive, you'll probably be dead or worse. Rather invest the money in protecting yourself. everything from a good dog, stronger lock, better intrusion deterrents, to a firearm and good training on how to use it.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Aa armed response uses CASI.

Anyone uses any of the 2?
It comes free with fnb credit/fusion/petrol cards for roadside security
I had a vehicle finance try to sell me on armed response when breaking down. I told them where I live and, out of curiosity, asked how long it would take to respond. They said 30 minutes at best. Bet you can guess what my answer was. Click.

I am always at Condition 2 and never travel any distance without, at least, 2 firearms. When in a vehicle one firearm is always at Condition 1.