Cat 6 lan cable

Codyalan1

Hi All,

I want to install cat 6 to replace my cat 5 cabling throughout my home, but there are so many different brands of Cat 6, Please can somebody suggest a 100 m cable that is top quality?

Regards

Chris

Codyalan1

I recently had to by a small 10 meter cable, which I did from take a lot, what I received was of such bad quality that I had to return, the outside sheathing was cracked in some places and wires exposed, so not all brands of cables are made using the same quality materials, this will be a large expense and I want to make sure I am using the best cat 6 cable one can get.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Hi, i want two replace for two reasons, firstly i want to up my speed to 200 mbps and cat 5 only goes up to 100 mbps and also I transfer over lan to a network drive, and want faster transfer speeds.
Cat5e is gigabit.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Hi, i want two replace for two reasons, firstly i want to up my speed to 200 mbps and cat 5 only goes up to 100 mbps and also I transfer over lan to a network drive, and want faster transfer speeds.
Do you have Cat5 or Cat5e cabling ATM ? There in lies the big difference here...

Category 5e (Category 5 enhanced) Ethernet cables are newer than category 5 cables and support faster, more reliable data transmission through networks. CAT5 cable is able to transmit data at 10 to 100Mbps speeds, while the newer CAT5e cable should be able to work at up to 1000Mbps.

Cat5e came out 20 years ago already, so I doubt you have Cat5 in your home?

ilikepi

It's true not all cables are made equal, in my experience with this topic try and go and go with a reasonable brand, something like LinkBasic will produce consistent results, also make sure you get solid copper cabling, sometimes to save money suppliers will sell aluminium coated with copper which tends to break more easily.

In my opinion, worth it to have a sturdy cable network in place ;-)

Codyalan1

It's true not all cables are made equal, in my experience with this topic try and go and go with a reasonable brand, something like LinkBasic will produce consistent results, also make sure you get solid copper cabling, sometimes to save money suppliers will sell aluminium coated with copper which tends to break more easily.

In my opinion, worth it to have a sturdy cable network in place ;-)
Brilliant, thanks so much!!

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
Do you have Cat5 or Cat5e cabling ATM ? There in lies the big difference here...

Category 5e (Category 5 enhanced) Ethernet cables are newer than category 5 cables and support faster, more reliable data transmission through networks. CAT5 cable is able to transmit data at 10 to 100Mbps speeds, while the newer CAT5e cable should be able to work at up to 1000Mbps.

Cat5e came out 20 years ago already, so I doubt you have Cat5 in your home?
Cat 5 is still available today

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
@OP whatever you buy, make sure it has "verified" stamped on it.
If you buy online, confirm first that it is verified.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
Thanks all

Think i have found what i need

View attachment 957645
Why shielded?

Very few applications require shielded cable and it's a bugger to work with sometimes. The UV protection is good for outdoors but unnecessary for indoors or in trunking.

Are you getting STP plugs and boxes as well then?

chrisc

Executive Member
You really only need shielded Cat6 cable if the run is lying alongside PVC conduit with mains cable in it (more than 20 metres)

Crossing over or being close to a PVC condiut or surfex will not induce any voltage in the Cat6. The twisted construction takes care of that

Also only connect the shield or drain wire at one end, or you can get a ground loop