Cat 6 lan cable

Codyalan1

Why shielded?

Very few applications require shielded cable and it's a bugger to work with sometimes. The UV protection is good for outdoors but unnecessary for indoors or in trunking.

Are you getting STP plugs and boxes as well then?
Thanks, will make sure i do get the STP plugs as well

lkswan747

Expert Member
Hi, i want two replace for two reasons, firstly i want to up my speed to 200 mbps and cat 5 only goes up to 100 mbps and also I transfer over lan to a network drive, and want faster transfer speeds.
Correction, Cat 5e is rated at 1gig.

skyw4lk3r

Thanks all

Think i have found what i need
This is what you looking for. Have used it myself multiple times before.

Syncs perfectly at 1gb. Cat5e is much easier to maneuver, cat6 is much more rigid.
Solid copper, much better than copper coated aluminum, especially for PoE.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You really only need shielded Cat6 cable if the run is lying alongside PVC conduit with mains cable in it (more than 20 metres)

Crossing over or being close to a PVC condiut or surfex will not induce any voltage in the Cat6. The twisted construction takes care of that

Also only connect the shield or drain wire at one end, or you can get a ground loop
Yes and no. Twisted pairs sorts out cross-talk primarily, does not really prevent induced interference although it does help and certainly does nothing to prevent/reduce induced power currents flowing in the cable.

Cable is not something one replaces every day so why take short cuts?
I would not do a major re-cabling exercise with cat 5e now. Cat6 or even 6a is what you should be considering.
The UV is overkill if indoors and in conduits.

ilikepi

Yes and no. Twisted pairs sorts out cross-talk primarily, does not really prevent induced interference although it does help and certainly does nothing to prevent/reduce induced power currents flowing in the cable.

Cable is not something one replaces every day so why take short cuts?
I would not do a major re-cabling exercise with cat 5e now. Cat6 or even 6a is what you should be considering.
The UV is overkill if indoors and in conduits.
+1 internets

For the years in between doing a recabling job, rather don't cut corners ;-)