CD/DVD Printing Price

Fyson

Hi all,

I have a Canon IP7240 and was recently asked by a friend to print onto CD\DVD for him.
How much should I charge per disc?

I tried to get average photo prints per set of cartridges but i'm now more lost than ever.
the cartridges are about R 200 each and it needs 5 so total cost for a set is about R 1000.

I have no idea how many I can print with a set.

Please let me know how much you have paid or is willing to pay so I can have a better idea of what to charge the guy.

Thanks

rodga

Honorary Master
How many discs does he want?

BTW if its 1 or 2 discs I wouldnt charge my friend...

Ianf1

Expert Member
I would charge R7 each for printing on the disc plus the cost of the disc.

Fyson

Wow....
R 7 per disc?

I would have to print on 143 DVD's with just one set of cartridges just to break even.
and i seriously doubt whether i could get that many from just one set.

MongooseMan

Expert Member
The specs say you'll get at least 600 pages per cartridge.
A DVD is (at most) half a page, so you'd get at least 1200 DVD's.
Hence (assuming R1000 for 5 cartridges), that equates to less than R1 per DVD.

Round it up to R100 for 50 DVDs and you're more than covered, IMHO.

Fyson

Wrong!!!

The 600 pages is based on a 5% coverage per A4 page.

I have to print a photo onto the DVD, so that would be 100% coverage.
600 x 3 (more or less 3 discs fit onto A4) 1800

1800 / 20 (5% coverage x 20 = 100%) = 90

I can get 120 discs at the most printed from one set of colour cartridges by my estimation.

If i'm not mistaken, my cost per print-on-disc would be in the area of R 7 - R10

My only option as I see it is to refill the cartridges and not buy originals ever again.

Thanks for all your help

Ianf1

Expert Member
Fyson
We print on the tower label stickers on the colour laser. Just a pain sticking them on the disc, but it is cheaper.
Your calculations assume 100% of each ink. You can work on 150%-250% ink coverage.

Fyson

Thanks Ianf1

I've contacted a company that refills ink cartridges in PE for R 50 each.
That brings the cost down big time.

I'll have to do a trial and see if the ink quality is good enough. hopefully it is.
if not i can always send my empty's to an inkyshop for refilling. I've heard their ink is quite good.

I'm not a fan of the stick on labels. not only are they a bitch to get right, but i've had one come off in my writer.
I'll avoid them for as long as I live.

Also: I thought that the moment you use refilled cartridges or generic inks in your printer the warranty is void.
But apparently not.
I've had a discussion with someone at a inkyshop recently and he was very adamant that it will not void the warranty.

This is from their website: http://www.inkyshop.co.za/FAQs_30.ca

Q: Will using compatible and remanufactured cartridges void your printer warranty?
A: No! Under Magnusson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act, it is illegal for a manufacturer to force you to use a specific product as a condition of warranty. Printer manufactures cannot void your printer warranty simply because you use compatible/ remanufactured or refilled cartridges from other manufacturers.

I've looked up that act and apparently if Canon for example want to void the warranty if other cartridges are used, Canon Cartridges should be provided free of charge.

rodga

Honorary Master
Q: Will using compatible and remanufactured cartridges void your printer warranty?
A: No! Under Magnusson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act, it is illegal for a manufacturer to force you to use a specific product as a condition of warranty. Printer manufactures cannot void your printer warranty simply because you use compatible/ remanufactured or refilled cartridges from other manufacturers.

I've looked up that act and apparently if Canon for example want to void the warranty if other cartridges are used, Canon Cartridges should be provided free of charge.

Isnt this only applicable to the USA?

Fyson

That's what I thought as well, but the guy from the inkyshop I phoned seems adamant that no company has so far been willing to put it in writing that using refilled inks will void the warranty.

I bought the canon printer from Takealot.com and since i bought it their ink price for my printer went up with about R 50.
Perhaps I should contact them and hear their reply.

So far both sides of the argument seems valid for me. Obviously if you get the cheapest ink you can buy it could cause problems, but take HP for example: Their new printers can print 600 colour pages for R130 per cartridge whilst their #27 black cartridge costs R 220 but can only print 200 pages.

Even if its not the exact same ink used in both cartridges there shouldn't be that much difference in price.
Either way, my point is it is their own ink prices that are so insanely and unnecessarily high and inconsistent that causes me to look for refills in the first place.