• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Cell C data speed really slow

I'm looking for some feedback from CellC data users in the Pietermaritzburg area.
I'm getting download speeds of max 0.8Mbps and upload sometimes even fails. I was told this is due upgrades in the area and it could last for another 3 months.

If anybody in the area on CellC could post their speedtest results, that would be great.
I just want to get an idea if the entire area is affected, or that it's just me :)

Randux

Expert Member
I'm not on Cell C but my sister is and she complains all the time about poor data speeds with full H+ signal.
BTW do you have LTE coverage?

Thanks Randux. No LTE here, I was hoping the upgrades would bring that. But I will not stay with Cell C if these data speeds are going to last a few more weeks.

Randux

Expert Member
Looking at their coverage map they do not cover PMB with LTE at all. If the upgrades they're doing are not LTE maybe it's time to do some looking around.

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
I'm looking for some feedback from CellC data users in the Pietermaritzburg area.
I'm getting download speeds of max 0.8Mbps and upload sometimes even fails. I was told this is due upgrades in the area and it could last for another 3 months.

If anybody in the area on CellC could post their speedtest results, that would be great.
I just want to get an idea if the entire area is affected, or that it's just me :)
Hi @PC-Help

Please PM us your Cell C number + address, we will look into it.

^BM

iMcJaz

I'm having the same issue. I'm a new contract subscriber to Cell C's 200GB per month LTE deal.

It's so slow, I'm starting to think they're shaping the hell out of the LTE deals. I can't even make a VOIP voice call. Dropped down to 3G, no avail.

CellCUpload.jpg

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
I'm having the same issue. I'm a new contract subscriber to Cell C's 200GB per month LTE deal.

It's so slow, I'm starting to think they're shaping the hell out of the LTE deals. I can't even make a VOIP voice call. Dropped down to 3G, no avail.

View attachment 467697
Hi @iMcJaz

Please PM us your Cell C number + address, we will look into the issue.

^BM

What they told me is to set the device to roam on Vodacom. Which does help, however it switched back to CellC from time to time.

Hi @iMcJaz

Please PM us your Cell C number + address, we will look into the issue.

^BM
Weird thta you are going to look into iMcJaz's issue, while I reported over several channels and only got the reply to start roaming on Vodacom because it will take a few more months before the 'upgrades' are done...

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Weird thta you are going to look into iMcJaz's issue, while I reported over several channels and only got the reply to start roaming on Vodacom because it will take a few more months before the 'upgrades' are done...
Hi PC-Help

You will see that we also requested you to provide us with the same information. We would have to look at the coverage in your area, before we can request you to try roaming on the Vodacom network.

^BM PC-Help.PNG

cr@zydude

Executive Member

View attachment 467697
Good luck, I've been told that my local tower has been upgraded twice. Upgrades take about a month and I still get speeds in the kbps (that's not a typo). After multiple complaints I was promised a home inspection. I finally got a call today, weeks later, ironically it's Cell C offering me a new contract. They have no idea about the inspection. No chance I'm signing a contract with Cell C after such pathetic customer service.

koeks525

Expert Member

Try set your modem to roam on Vodacom's 3G Network. Hopefully you will be allowed to roam onto Vodacom 3G - I can't roam onto Vodacom 3G in Summerstrand, PE.

Hi PC-Help

You will see that we also requested you to provide us with the same information. We would have to look at the coverage in your area, before we can request you to try roaming on the Vodacom network.

^BM
I did provide Cell C with that info.

The first time I contacted Customer Service I got a quick response. That was however that no investigation would be done because of the upgrades in the Pietermaritzburg area. So all I could do is sit it out.

The second time I contacted Customer Service I was advised to roam on Vodacom (which is faster than Cell C ever was in my area) No check as been done as far as I know, but CS probably is able to check my address from the data of my SIM.

The only trouble I have now is that the device switches back to Cell C from time to time which is quickly noticed by the lack of connection.

Try set your modem to roam on Vodacom's 3G Network. Hopefully you will be allowed to roam onto Vodacom 3G - I can't roam onto Vodacom 3G in Summerstrand, PE.
Thanks Koeks525 that's what Cell C told me to do as well. The only trouble I have now is that the device switches back to Cell C from time to time which is quickly noticed by the lack of connection.

Than I have to set it to roaming again reconnect which get's a bit annoying but is still better than having no speed.

msmoorad

Im having the same problem.
I livein Phoenix, Durban and Cellc speeds are pathetic. I have a 200 GB prepaid SIM that i use in a Huawei USB dongle and most of the time its very frustrating...ive complained to Cellc and eventually they admitted that theres NOTHING they can do because their network is too congested.
Too many ppl are using Cellc just bcos of the cheap Whatsapp bundle. As a result, other Cellc users have to suffer.
Why dont u guys erect more towers or upgrade your networks speed & capacity?

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Hi msmoorad

Please PM us your Cell C number + an alternative contact number. We will refer this issue to our Network team.

^NT

msmoorad

I remember posting my data SIM n8mber on this thread...maybe admin removed itm..anyways..i lost my data SIM and i cant remember the number..I want to do a sim swap. Pls send me the number via pm so i can go to my nearest CellC store and sort it out.

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
I remember posting my data SIM n8mber on this thread...maybe admin removed itm..anyways..i lost my data SIM and i cant remember the number..I want to do a sim swap. Pls send me the number via pm so i can go to my nearest CellC store and sort it out.
Hi msmoorad

We can confirm that we requested for your cellphone number via PM of which was never sent to us.

^MM