Cell C fixed-LTE users left without coverage following “ISPs not using the map”

dotcat

axxess - looking in your direction.....I'm still seeing display ads were they advertise their "updated coverage" - well I guess they have updated their coverage to remove the MTN roaming :):):)

SlowInternet

Executive Member
I was in the same boat. Axxess told me that I have coverage. Even my local CellC store told me that I have coverage. I was even advised by the sales consultant that they have sold several fixed LTE packages. So it was not just the ISPs selling the deals without consulting the CellC map, their own store was selling it.

Holjani

Have been experiencing issues with WebAfrica Fixed LTE since July 2018. They first blamed Internet Solution, then they blamed Cell C and it's still not working as promised. WebAfrica's after sales support is absolutely horrible. When I initially received the services my speeds were brilliant, now I will be lucky to get 2Mbps.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I was in the same boat. Axxess told me that I have coverage. Even my local CellC store told me that I have coverage. I was even advised by the sales consultant that they have sold several fixed LTE packages. So it was not just the ISPs selling the deals without consulting the CellC map, their own store was selling it.
Kind of what I thought. Cell C blaming someone else for what is effectively their issue.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Have been experiencing issues with WebAfrica Fixed LTE since July 2018. They first blamed Internet Solution, then they blamed Cell C and it's still not working as promised. WebAfrica's after sales support is absolutely horrible. When I initially received the services my speeds were brilliant, now I will be lucky to get 2Mbps.
This is the curse of the MyBB ISP awards. Growth that's hard to manage. Hopefully Supersonic don't go the same way.

nahoR

I order the Cell C fixed LTE to test before cancelling my Rain LTE. Glad I did this, because the Cell C speeds are horrible. If I get 1Mbps I am lucky.

Yeah, I was also a "victim" of this. Was working all good and everything for a few months then suddenly not registering on the Cellc network. Logged in to the router, did a manual search for networks it displayed Cellc 4G tried to connect multiple times and SIM didn't connect. Thought I must be crazy. Would've been nice is Axxess had let it's customers know beforehand. Eventually called Axxess and it seemed they vaguely new what they were talking about. Anyhow they said they'd refund me in full for the month and cancel my account with them. It's now the 11th of January and I'm still waiting for the refund, but hey at least they cancelled my account with them.

JimM

Expert Member
I'm not sure if I follow the logic of Cell C. It punts Fixed LTE in areas where they will be up against many other providers but in an area where they would have a captive and high take up audience, they rely on MTN roaming. Cell C's map did show fixed LTE coverage in my area but luckily I was busy and didn't take up the offer. I know of at least a dozen others who did and are now quite miffed with no coverage!! Guess what? The maps been fixed!!

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Only in South Africa... screw the customer, we just need them for money, and give them little in return.

tp3to

I'm sorry but this is a BS excuse from Cell C.

When I first took up the package I was under the coverage map, since then the map changed and I was left outside the area by 5m. Now every time I have an issue they want to immediately cancel my account because I am not under the coverage area.

I think its not best practice to use that map as a black and white yes or no. I might not be under the coverage according to them but I still get 20mbs and over 50mbs at times with the external antenna I bought.

phly

Expert Member

When I first took up the package I was under the coverage map, since then the map changed and I was left outside the area by 5m. Now every time I have an issue they want to immediately cancel my account because I am not under the coverage area.

I think its not best practice to use that map as a black and white yes or no. I might not be under the coverage according to them but I still get 20mbs and over 50mbs at times with the external antenna I bought.
Ah so an antenna can help - i am one street away from newly formed coverage map

Azg

Expert Member

Which external antenna are you using?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The problem is that in areas where Cell C is roaming on MTN's network, the network ID still shows up as "Cell C 4G", so it's not obvious that they're roaming.

DXL

Expert Member
What I gather from this whole fiasco is that MTN & Vodacom offer roaming at prices they see fit so as to not allow any competition to themselves.

ICASA is proposing cost based access to Infrastructure , guess who the strongest opposition to it is ?

Cost plus 20% is more than fine with me.

True cost of Data is 0.68c a Gigabyte + 20% = R0.816 which is what the retail should be ?

I received Fixed CellC LTE from Afrihost and from day one I had no download speeds meaning no internet while my signal shows full. I contacted Afrihost regarding this and they are "resolving" my issue for the last 3 weeks. I want to cancel but they want me to pay them R900 to cancel the service and I've already paid for the month to be connected to the internet. They just want more money now while I received no services and is still offline.

Blonded

Check which Cell C lease agreements have expired and for which tower.
Cell C are renegotiating leases due for expiry via a 3rd party. Maybe even early termination notices flying around??
Just my 2 cents of what I know.

cavedog

Honorary Master
The whole issue with this service is in areas with overlapping coverage. I think the "Fixed LTE coverage" is Cellc's own towers. Now the roaming agreement with MTN is causing issues as the MTN broadcasts Cellc's network ID too and if coverage overlap which is happening because Cellc don't want gaps in their coverage then if you have one of these deals from an ISP and your router prefers to stick to a roaming tower you are screwed because there will be no way to try any force it to a Cellc tower only.

I reckon Telkom will have the same issue once they fully implement their Vodacom roaming deal.