Cell C's roaming agreement with MTN has been expanded

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Cell C's roaming agreement with MTN has been expanded

Cell C has finalised a term sheet which details a further national roaming agreement with MTN.

“This agreement lays the groundwork for a broader national roaming agreement, supporting the policy goals of avoiding network duplication and the burden on the environment, where shared infrastructure drives efficiencies in the delivery of services to consumers,” said Cell C CEO Douglas Craigie Stevenson.

dotcat

So since Friday my phone keeps bouncing between LTE+ and H+ and UMTS (no data throughput). So seems like they are definitely trying something else and pretty much have managed to mess it up like Telkom and Vodacom.

MirageF1

Expert Member
So since Friday my phone keeps bouncing between LTE+ and H+ and UMTS (no data throughput). So seems like they are definitely trying something else and pretty much have managed to mess it up like Telkom and Vodacom.
Spreading the lurv no doubt. Don't be angry, your fellow citizens and GB gobblers also need bandwidth.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I tried the Cellc network but yeah no thank you it's a disaster of note. Their own 3G network you get zero data throughput and incoming calls gets forwarded to voicemail. When you try and make a call nothing happens. Flip the flight mode on then after a few seconds back off and suddenly SMS about missed calls coming through and now you can make calls.

It's a disaster even Telkom is waaay better network wise and then obviously MTN is on Top with Afrihost Airmobile data it's actually worth sticking to MTN network with very reasonable mobile data prices. Telkom second with their Mo'Nice deals for very very affordable voice and data prices.

Swa

Honorary Master
There's only one Cell C tower here and if it goes down I'll regularly be without internet if it wasn't for Vodacom.

cobusv

There's only one Cell C tower here and if it goes down I'll regularly be without internet if it wasn't for Vodacom.
you mean MTN, there is not more Vodacom agreement between vodacom and cell c, been like that for a while

sgs

you mean MTN, there is not more Vodacom agreement between vodacom and cell c, been like that for a while
My cheapie non-3G phone still shows Vodacom when I have a Cell-C sim in. So obviously still 2G roaming going on there. Maybe not 3G and LTE though.

cobusv

My cheapie non-3G phone still shows Vodacom when I have a Cell-C sim in. So obviously still 2G roaming going on there. Maybe not 3G and LTE though.
thats true yes, did not think about GSM (2G)

cavedog

Honorary Master
2G and 3G Vodacom roaming for Cellc still very much active.

richjdavies

! - well that's probably why Telkom's-Vodacom-2G roaming doesn't work then :)

So Cell-C is actually roaming on MTN AND Vodacom now -- if they can't avoid bankruptcy, then that's a NICE network.