Cell phone "roaming is a bitch'

joy_Energiser

Am I the only one who finds it hard to believe that the blame lies not with our local cellular providers....I mean a pot is a pot....and we all know how they love to rip us off here in Sunny SA.

So nope, sorry I dont buy it for one second that this is anything short of the usual South African cell providers just plain down raping us again, as usual.

Beri

Expert Member
Bull Sh@t to that. Just looked at e-mails my ass. Must have had some big attachments.
What is scary that this guy does not know that you can get a prepaid card in any country and use that. Much cheaper.

iCubed.Saajid

is that an actual qoute? I think the guy must be the coolest CEO ever.

Yip. Reichelt was at the 2010 MyBB Conferrence which was held yesterday. Definitely the coolest telecoms CEO in South Africa. He also did a great job with his presentation and discussion.

herbertk

Expert Member
I just got back from a trip, my BB managed to download 15 meg and it cost me R2400 madness im telling you

EDIT : and this while my BES mailbox was disabled on this side...

Last edited:

Beri

Expert Member
found this on the forum.
so he downloaded about a gig in e-mails.......

BEWARE International Data Roaming charges!!!
Hi,

I'm posting here on behalf of my girlfriend, who has decided to take this matter to the public, just to raise awareness and not to get her money back. See below comment (excerpt from mail to Vodacom MD's office and Credit & Risk departments)

http://www.hellopeter.com/the_commen...65352&comp=357

"I would like to raise awareness of the EXTREMELY high roaming charges in CHINA. It costs R140.89/meg i.e 1 gigabyte costs over R140,000 where 1 gigabyte from Vodacom costs R290 - more than 480 TIMES cheaper. I cannot believe that Vodacom is prepared to allow charges like this to be charged to their Customers albeit by another Network - it is daylight robbery and shows absolutely no Social Responsibility from a Company that maintains high Corporate Governance."

She is well aware that roaming is expensive, and she is a frequent traveler and has no problem spending money on phone calls etc while roaming. She is NOW aware that she should check the data roaming tariffs before embarking on a trip again . She only used about 6mb = R840!!! Imagine if she downloaded a GB! take out a second bond for a GB; when you could get it for like R70 at the corner garage!

The main point is, htf can a respected company like Vodacom, actually allow another company to charge their customers these rates. Especially from a country that has some of the cheapest broadband in the WORLD!!! Its unacceptable and Vodacom should never allow such a travesty!

Any thoughts?

herbertk

Expert Member
Bull Sh@t to that. Just looked at e-mails my ass. Must have had some big attachments.
What is scary that this guy does not know that you can get a prepaid card in any country and use that. Much cheaper.

Well in my case that would have been 875 meg at 140k but some places are even worse and it could have been as little as 600 meg

herbertk

Expert Member
found this on the forum.
so he downloaded about a gig in e-mails.......

BEWARE International Data Roaming charges!!!
Hi,

I'm posting here on behalf of my girlfriend, who has decided to take this matter to the public, just to raise awareness and not to get her money back. See below comment (excerpt from mail to Vodacom MD's office and Credit & Risk departments)

http://www.hellopeter.com/the_commen...65352&comp=357

"I would like to raise awareness of the EXTREMELY high roaming charges in CHINA. It costs R140.89/meg i.e 1 gigabyte costs over R140,000 where 1 gigabyte from Vodacom costs R290 - more than 480 TIMES cheaper. I cannot believe that Vodacom is prepared to allow charges like this to be charged to their Customers albeit by another Network - it is daylight robbery and shows absolutely no Social Responsibility from a Company that maintains high Corporate Governance."

She is well aware that roaming is expensive, and she is a frequent traveler and has no problem spending money on phone calls etc while roaming. She is NOW aware that she should check the data roaming tariffs before embarking on a trip again . She only used about 6mb = R840!!! Imagine if she downloaded a GB! take out a second bond for a GB; when you could get it for like R70 at the corner garage!

The main point is, htf can a respected company like Vodacom, actually allow another company to charge their customers these rates. Especially from a country that has some of the cheapest broadband in the WORLD!!! Its unacceptable and Vodacom should never allow such a travesty!

Any thoughts?

Yup I paid about R160 a meg witout knowing it lol... this was mostly egypt and Israel

Joe Average

Yip. Reichelt was at the 2010 MyBB Conferrence which was held yesterday. Definitely the coolest telecoms CEO in South Africa. He also did a great job with his presentation and discussion.

Can't agree more. Reichelt is growing on me, not to mention his network :)

deweyzeph

Executive Member
There's no solution? What rubbish, there's actually a very simple solution: just get a local prepaid sim card and use that for your calls and data.

That's the first thing I do when I go overseas. Then I just email everyone who needs to know what my temporary number is.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
LOL - roaming is for n00bs that don't know how wifi and voip works.

Last edited:

rorz0r

Executive Member
So now I'm wondering what vodacon/emptyn charge foreigners roaming here?