Cellphone Insurance

Reaper84

Expert Member
Hi guys

I am insured with budget insurance and lost my phone last week. I insured it for R8000 and I am with mtn. I got a call from them saying they want to send me to cellucity to get a replacement and I cannot choose the model. I know cellucity only do Vodacom so aren't I losing my warranty as well.

Are all insurers like this. If I'm insured for R8000 then surely I should be able to get a phone worth up to R8000.

Do any of you have any thoughts and experience with cell insurance

Thanks

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Reaper, that sounds a bit weird. Have u called CEllucity to ask them what normally happens with budget insurance claims? Maybe they can shed some light on the matter?

Reaper84

Expert Member
Got another call today and after some pressure and persuasion they decided to rather pay cash into my account. But it's only going to be R6000. As they say that's what my phone is worth. Just a heads up to anyone using budget insurance. If my phone had not been discontinued they would have just replaced it with whatever they wanted.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Well, phones do devalue quite quickly. So, it depends what u can buy with 6k. Maybe u can buy your old phone for that amount, if u include whatever the excess was? What was your old phone? What is the cash price in the shops?

To be fair, cell phone insurance premiums should decrease on a monthly or quarterly basis in line with the decreased value of the phone.

upup

Executive Member
All risk cover from just R37.33 per month
Liquid and accident cover from just R24.72 per month
Repair only cover from just R18.41 per month
Just saw this on MTN book

cavedog

Honorary Master
All risk cover from just R37.33 per month
Liquid and accident cover from just R24.72 per month
Repair only cover from just R18.41 per month
Just saw this on MTN book
The key word being "from" which probably means cover "up to" R1000 or so.