Cellphone Insurance

MacBoney

Any tip offs on good, affordable cellphone insurance?

After loosing my uninsured E71, i'm not taking any chances on my 5800. I got a quote from my car insurance company today for R132pm which i think is abit excessive....am i wrong?

Budza

Executive Member
Got a 5800 too. Quote for R5k insurance was R87/m...

rodga

Executive Member
im in the market for cell insurance and the rates to me are quite ridiculous for dedicated cell phone insurance
why not add it as a specified portable item on your household insurance?

the one qoute i got from auto and general was for about 150pm for 60000 household and includes cell, laptop, camera and bike

but im still investigating...

oronte

Expert Member
I just called Woolworths cell insurance (going through Auto and General) and they quoted me R86 for R8000 cover on my Blackberry Bold (excess is R500). Best I found so far so I took it.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
first for women

As a specified item under my sister's household insurance, the premium is R25 for my blackberry bold 9700 insured for R7000 (retail value of R6700) with an excess of R750.

Vodasure charge R103 per month covering the phone for R6000 with an excess of R350.

To insure with Woolworths insurance u have to take household insurance with them.

K

kingrob

I'm using good ol' SANTAM.

Vodasure charged me R139 a month to insure my iPhone for R8500, SANTAM charges me R120. Nice thing is you can tell them what you want to insure it for.

Top company to deal with, hassle-free. Highly recommended.

kiepie

Executive Member
I'm using good ol' SANTAM.

Vodasure charged me R139 a month to insure my iPhone for R8500, SANTAM charges me R120. Nice thing is you can tell them what you want to insure it for.

Top company to deal with, hassle-free. Highly recommended.
+1 :)

nihilist

Expert Member
Alexander Forbes quoted me R75pm for a R6000 phone for theft + accidental damage.

nadimm

Expert Member
Household insurance cellphone cover

You should probably make sure that the household insurance covers you from loss/damage outside the house.

Copied from the autopage website

Isn't my phone covered in my household insurance?
People often assume that their cellular telephone is covered in their household insurance. In reality, most household insurance policies do not provide complete cover for cellular telephones, since most incidents of loss, damage or theft occur outside the home.

nihilist

Expert Member
You should probably make sure that the household insurance covers you from loss/damage outside the house.

People often assume that their cellular telephone is covered in their household insurance. In reality, most household insurance policies do not provide complete cover for cellular telephones, since most incidents of loss, damage or theft occur outside the home.
Yep, that's why I specify my laptop and camera - and if I get my N900 (nudge nudge wink wink Vodacom) I'll insure that too.

Budza

Executive Member
You need to work out what the premium will cost you over 2-3 years, when you will likely be getting a new phone anyway.

Had I taken that insurace ( I never did) I would have paid about a grand already. That's halfway to a new phone and enough to cover a decent replacement... Were I to get an N900 or HD2, I'd reconsider :D

killkom

Well the best price for insruance for me came from adding the phone to my household insurance

My Iphone is currently insured for 9k for R80 per month with a R300 excess

The Big difference from these stand alone cell phone insurances and adding it to your House insurance is the time it will take to get a replacement phone if you loose it.
The Stand alone insurance should be able to give you a replacement same day your house insurance you looking at about a week so all you do is keep a spare phone and start saving money:)

An no I don't think I want to loose my phone and not be able to afford to pay for the exact same one thats just silly insure your stuff as specially something of value that you carry around every day

Edit
By house insurance I mean insure it as a portable or all risk item

StrontiumDog

Executive Member

They conveniently leave out any mention of the fact that if you specify your items under all risks, household insurance, that you will be covered outside of the house. That is why u pay an extra premium over and above your normal househould contents for the item in question.

dlk001

Executive Member
This is a very informative thread. My phones are insured as movable items for R6000 with myWay.

Divestar

Where can I find realistic replacement prices online?

I have just bought my new phone, but it was well below the market price. I would like to insure it for the replacement value.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
im in the market for cell insurance and the rates to me are quite ridiculous for dedicated cell phone insurance
why not add it as a specified portable item on your household insurance?

the one qoute i got from auto and general was for about 150pm for 60000 household and includes cell, laptop, camera and bike

but im still investigating...
That seems pretty good considering.