Cellular roaming rates are too high

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
High roaming rates is not really news.

Our operators (and regulators) should look to East Africa to see how the reduced rates, seamless cross-border calling and interchangeable vouchers have improved overall traffic considerably

krycor

Honorary Master
High roaming rates is not really news.

Our operators (and regulators) should look to East Africa to see how the reduced rates, seamless cross-border calling and interchangeable vouchers have improved overall traffic considerably

Problem i see is data cost in SADC is not exactly the same. Mobile data costs in our neighbours are not the same and more likely what will hit your pocket.. they need ti simplify this to the point where you can simply buy data voucher for your roaming network which would make life more managable

Aharon

Honorary Master
To be fair, MTN has come to the party in my view.

R1/MB wherever they have presence. In Botswana it is cheaper to roam on MTN with data at R1/MB than to use Orange at P1.00/MB

RichardG

Honorary Master
My uncle is from Europe he visited South Africa. did a few calls when he arrived back in Europe he received a bill shocker oR40 thousand with Exchange. The networks should just charge R2 extra not charge exorbitant fees.