Cheapest backup power options to survive load-shedding

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Cheapest backup power options for load-shedding

South Africans who cannot afford a fully-fledged backup power system have a range of cheaper options available that can keep certain key appliances powered during load-shedding.

Eskom has warned that load-shedding will likely be necessary throughout winter and implemented stage 4 load-shedding yesterday evening.

This comes as the utility is faced with severe supply shortages due to breakdowns, and is also undertaking planned maintenance of its ageing infrastructure.

A battery backup system that can charge when power is available and then provide electricity during an outage is one of the best solutions to fight load-shedding.

However, the batteries and inverters required for these systems are still too expensive for the average household.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Cheapest backup power options for load-shedding

South Africans who cannot afford a fully-fledged backup power system have a range of cheaper options available that can keep certain key appliances powered during load-shedding.

Eskom has warned that load-shedding will likely be necessary throughout winter and implemented stage 4 load-shedding yesterday evening.

This comes as the utility is faced with severe supply shortages due to breakdowns, and is also undertaking planned maintenance of its ageing infrastructure.

A battery backup system that can charge when power is available and then provide electricity during an outage is one of the best solutions to fight load-shedding.

However, the batteries and inverters required for these systems are still too expensive for the average household.
Just hibernate. Costs you nothing. Just switch off and chill, do nothing, look at nothing, leave the Internet alone, keep fridges closed, don't eat, etc.
Take a break!

Johand

Expert Member
There is a warning in generator for noise but there really should be one for UPS systems as well. A bunch of them can kick up quite a racket!

Plus it is worth mentioning that I assume our average MyBB reader won't be running an average PC. I get about 30min with a 2200VA UPS on my desktop - just enough to finish up and shut down

The_MAC

Executive Member
Just hibernate. Costs you nothing. Just switch off and chill, do nothing, look at nothing, leave the Internet alone, keep fridges closed, don't eat, etc.
Take a break!
In the evening and weekends that is the typical reaction in my household, but during working hours it becomes tricky, as then you have to make-up those lost hours if you just go offline.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
They really don't give any information.

Also, how would you power your ONT/Fibre?
With a simple, small local UPS located right at the devices. That is by far the cheapest way. Using the existing charger if possible. Other systems become complicated because of the numerous different DC voltages required by each device.

dj2381

Expert Member
I'm running a Zyxel router 12v=2A with 24W max output, my router and ONT are far apart, any recommendations on which of these or others would anyone recommend? I only need internet for work which I can do on my tablet.

McGuywer

Executive Member
With a simple, small local UPS located right at the devices. That is by far the cheapest way. Using the existing charger if possible. Other systems become complicated because of the numerous different DC voltages required by each device.
I was replying regarding the routerbuddy.co.za

RazorCPT

How is that ultralan? It has a nice LED screen at least...
We have one. Can easily handle a Vumatel CPE and a Tenda AC1200 for around 12 hours. Has built in shut off to protect the Lithium batteries as well which is great. Genuinely Zero complaints. Also, its a bit cheaper via the guys I originally bought mine from (you just need to create a free account to view pricing). Current price is R1,183.35 incl vat. URL

eg2505

Honorary Master
cheapest solution to lead shedding?
one of these bad boys hooked up to your infrastructure (if you can stand the smell:ROFL:)

1623321063664.png

Budza

Executive Member
Pay the 20k and get solar+battery.

I'd rather do that than pay R2k on batteries where you're ultimately still reliant on Eskom.

You'll eventually get your money back too :)

Johand

Expert Member
Pay the 20k and get solar+battery.

I'd rather do that than pay R2k on batteries where you're ultimately still reliant on Eskom.

You'll eventually get your money back too :)
If I can get solar + inverter + batteries for 20k I would do it in a heartbeat... I just haven't actually seen something in that price range. Would be happy if you can point me to a system which is cost around R20k....

dualmeister

Honorary Master
There is literally a 120 page thread on powering your router.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Cheaper than…

8b735177969ff8c6518347bb875cfb38.jpg