Cheque payments are rapidly becoming obsolete

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Cheque payments are rapidly becoming obsolete

The use of cheques is continuing to decline in South Africa as customers move to digital payments, according to FNB business analyst Kenneth Matlhole.

“Over the years, the growing usage of electronic payment methods, high expenses, inefficient processes, and vulnerability to fraud have been key contributors to the global decline in cheques usage,” said Matlhole.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Trying to think when last I had a chequebook.

I think it was in 2004.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
We still get one cheque a month. Probably one of our clients using up all the cheques left over in their cheque book. Hopefully will end after that.

Cray

Honorary Master
Got a cheque book when I moved back from the UK in 2004, don't think I ever even used it once.

Qrox

Expert Member
I still don't know why there are people who go through the effort of using cheques. With the small amount of cheques that are still being used, you would have thought all of the banks would have just stopped issuing them by now.

beans100

Honorary Master
Are they talking about digital cheque payments? And what other options should the banks educate us on? Is this a complete article?

Dolby

Honorary Master
I think it was in 2004.
I just started working in 2002ish and though that was the grown up thing to have. Suffice to say, it I never wrote a single check, ever, and it just sat it my drawer at home for 2 years.

Purply

Expert Member
Still have one client that only pays by cheque, been like that for the past 7 years. Hopefully they will get with the times eventually

Dan C

Honorary Master
Still have a cheque book which I got in 1995. Not used it for years and years.