Chilli Pepper Growing

Half_Frog

Expert Member
So I bought a bunch of seeds from Mr Chilli and should be getting my seeds sometime this week. I also have a bunch of other pepper seeds I got from friend and family

Does anyone here grow their own peppers and any advise you can give for a first time grower.

I plan to make some sauces and pickled peppers. I have also started fermenting other vegs and also trying my hand at cheese making

I follow this guy on Youtube. He seems quite knowledgeable

Marsie27

I am experimenting with growing my own right now. I put 4 seeds from a chili into a medium-sized pot with soil and some compost about 8-10 weeks ago, I cannot remember exactly when - I should have taken note of the date. All 4 sprouted, but one didn't make it. They are now around 15-20cm tall, but no sign of buds or flowers yet. I plan to put the 2 smaller ones into separate pots and leaving the most vigorous one where it is. I will report back on the success or otherwise i.e when and if I get some chilis.

Murfle

First off, ChilliChump has some great content. Watch his 'starters' guide.

You have lots of options to get your seeds going. My preference has been to soak them in weak, cold tea for 24 hours, which simulates being in a bird's stomach before getting pooped out. Then put them in a peat pod or a starter seedling mix in a small pot. You can skip the starting pot and plant straight in the big one, but I usually like to do a couple extra seeds in case some don't make it.

When you transplant, keep it out of the sun for about a week. Slowly introduce it to the sun, an extra hour of sunlight a day.

Don't over water. You'll kill the roots. And make sure your pots and soil have good drainage. I always mix in about 10% perlite. Haven't had an over-watering problem since I started that.

There is so much more info I could share, but there's so many guides out there by more knowledgeable people. Like I said, check ChilliChump's starter tutorial.

Marsie27

Update on my experiment growing from seeds saved from a chili I was given: the 3 plants I wrote about above survived fine in mostly light shade with some afternoon sun, and watering when they looked dry. The most vigorous one is on the right, with the chili we are using tonight on the ground. The other two were slower but have produced far more chilis - they are all still green so not easy to see amongst the foliage. So is this a jalapeno chili?
IMG_20200125_152134.jpg

Last edited:

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Dunno what's the big deal, throw some seeds in the garden and it grows no problem..... It just be a Durban thing though

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Update on my experiment growing from seeds saved from a chili I was given: the 3 plants I wrote about above survived fine in mostly light shade with some afternoon sun, and watering when they looked dry. The most vigorous one is on the right, with the chili we are using tonight on the ground. The other two were slower but have produced far more chilis - they are all still green so not easy to see amongst the foliage. So is this a jalapeno chili?
View attachment 774284
Jalapeno's are fat and kind of short.

Marsie27

Jalapeno's are fat and kind of short.
Hmm these are quite skinny. I will have to find a Durban kind of shop in Cape Town and check the chilis out to see what kind we have. Our garden soil is so sandy that what veges we grow go into containers - it saves on compost.

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
I see my ghost chilli is starting to have some fruit but it will probably die

Marsie27

I see my ghost chilli is starting to have some fruit but it will probably die
Why? Are they tricky to cultivate? One of the advantages of growing in pots was that I could move them into or out of the sun as needed. You must like your peppers hot.

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
Why? Are they tricky to cultivate? One of the advantages of growing in pots was that I could move them into or out of the sun as needed. You must like your peppers hot.
A bit tricky I guess. I moved it from a plant to our veggie section but I guess the soil is wrong for it. Bone marrow etc still didn't help. Maybe I should buy some more seeds and plant at work.