Chinese Tablet Buyers Guide.

wizardofid

Executive Member
So have been shopping around for a new tablet, looking to order one next week, I have been getting mostly budget 10' inch tablets over the last few years.Got burned by quite a few of them.

While I have a dixon 10 inch that will be 2 years old this year, which is a really nice tablet, battery life is decent enough, but the OS it self is on the buggy side, for a general purpose device it does quite a decent job.

I still have my amazon 7 inch tablet I won on mybb last year, I haven't used it all, maybe 3 or 4 times when the power was out and my dixon ran out of battery, otherwise it's sits in its pouch powered off.

I think once you get spoiled by a 10 inch screen you rarely want to go to a 7 inch tablet let alone 8 inch.

Budget tablets come with their own short comings, low res screen, poor battery life no OS updates.

While I looked on raru and takealot, there really isn't any thing that tickles my fancy and with it budget, looking to spend 3-3.5K, trying to avoid samsung as it's really just old stock, or really expensive.I had a look at new tablet lenovo had on offer on takealot and raru, and honestly rather dismal, that their new 10 inch entry tablet comes with 1 gig ram and 16gig rom and wifi only.

So I have set a target for min requirements of 10 inch screen, 2 gig ram and 32gig rom with 4G and no older then mali MP720 GPU within that budget nothing really "pops" out as some thing I want.

I am also quite picky as to where the USB ports are located, not a fan of any 10 inch tablet with the USB port on top when used in portrait mode, as that is the position you going to use it in most of the time.

From all that I shopped locally, this is the only one I like, large battery ect, and it's local, not too sure about the brand name.

The alternative is going with gearbest, which to be honest has 100's of tablets, and I am not sure about the brands, but for the same amount as the cpro I can get a newer 3 gig/64gig ram or 4gig/64gig tablet, not sure I want all the hassle of customs and such, I just spend last week importing some stuff for my neighbor even with expedited shipping still took around two weeks and a large risk of customs helping them self to you devices.

The nice thing about gearbest, is they under report the value of the items they sent, so often the you score a fair bit, the item the neighbor imported was 6.5K, with DHL fees and customs it worked out to R463.00, till customs decide some thing is up.

As a quick test with expedited shipping via DHL with insurance and custom estimates , works out to about 1.2K, I am sure I can select the express air shipping with gearbest, not sure if it routes via post office or a courier. I can save a bit there, in no rush to get the device that soon.

I just feel shipping with DHL provides some extra security for me.

Another option I have is amazon, which includes customs and shipping and handling fees, no further worries there I did have a look on what they have to offer, and some decent deals, even some good deals on "renewed" items

Not sure I want to go this route, as it means I have to transfer money out of paypal to my bank account incur charges on that and more charges paying ect.

Had a look on ebay, some nice stuff there, some really dodgy pricing, found refurbished surface pro tablets with shipping just over 2.2k, while that is a really, really good deal, to me that is risky, ebay in general for me is a bit of a hit and a miss, and don't trust.

So what would you guys do. Locally, tablets are generally crap for the budget and you need to spend at least 5k upwards for a decent device.Gearbest seems to be the best option, I can save a bit on using express air shipping, not sure how this works or how safe it is, if some one would care to explain it would be appreciated, does it route via courier or post office. ?

Second best is amazon.

Importing a tablet seems to be the best option as the crap locally isn't worth it for the budget, secondhand devices locally have been pretty much used and abused so battery life is an issue for me, so would rather get a new device.The drawback to importing kills the budget a little, and I am not touching ebay.

Some recommendations with regard to which tablet brands is worth importing would also be appreciated as it's really a sea of no name brands and not sure which to trust ect.

Daruk

Honorary Master
So have been shopping around for a new tablet, looking to order one next week, I have been getting mostly budget 10' inch tablets over the last few years.Got burned by quite a few of them.

While I have a dixon 10 inch that will be 2 years old this year, which is a really nice tablet, battery life is decent enough, but the OS it self is on the buggy side, for a general purpose device it does quite a decent job.

I still have my amazon 7 inch tablet I won on mybb last year, I haven't used it all, maybe 3 or 4 times when the power was out and my dixon ran out of battery, otherwise it's sits in its pouch powered off.

I think once you get spoiled by a 10 inch screen you rarely want to go to a 7 inch tablet let alone 8 inch.

Budget tablets come with their own short comings, low res screen, poor battery life no OS updates.

While I looked on raru and takealot, there really isn't any thing that tickles my fancy and with it budget, looking to spend 3-3.5K, trying to avoid samsung as it's really just old stock, or really expensive.I had a look at new tablet lenovo had on offer on takealot and raru, and honestly rather dismal, that their new 10 inch entry tablet comes with 1 gig ram and 16gig rom and wifi only.

So I have set a target for min requirements of 10 inch screen, 2 gig ram and 32gig rom with 4G and no older then mali MP720 GPU within that budget nothing really "pops" out as some thing I want.

I am also quite picky as to where the USB ports are located, not a fan of any 10 inch tablet with the USB port on top when used in portrait mode, as that is the position you going to use it in most of the time.

From all that I shopped locally, this is the only one I like, large battery ect, and it's local, not too sure about the brand name.

The alternative is going with gearbest, which to be honest has 100's of tablets, and I am not sure about the brands, but for the same amount as the cpro I can get a newer 3 gig/64gig ram or 4gig/64gig tablet, not sure I want all the hassle of customs and such, I just spend last week importing some stuff for my neighbor even with expedited shipping still took around two weeks and a large risk of customs helping them self to you devices.

The nice thing about gearbest, is they under report the value of the items they sent, so often the you score a fair bit, the item the neighbor imported was 6.5K, with DHL fees and customs it worked out to R463.00, till customs decide some thing is up.

As a quick test with expedited shipping via DHL with insurance and custom estimates , works out to about 1.2K, I am sure I can select the express air shipping with gearbest, not sure if it routes via post office or a courier. I can save a bit there, in no rush to get the device that soon.

I just feel shipping with DHL provides some extra security for me.

Another option I have is amazon, which includes customs and shipping and handling fees, no further worries there I did have a look on what they have to offer, and some decent deals, even some good deals on "renewed" items

Not sure I want to go this route, as it means I have to transfer money out of paypal to my bank account incur charges on that and more charges paying ect.

Had a look on ebay, some nice stuff there, some really dodgy pricing, found refurbished surface pro tablets with shipping just over 2.2k, while that is a really, really good deal, to me that is risky, ebay in general for me is a bit of a hit and a miss, and don't trust.

So what would you guys do. Locally, tablets are generally crap for the budget and you need to spend at least 5k upwards for a decent device.Gearbest seems to be the best option, I can save a bit on using express air shipping, not sure how this works or how safe it is, if some one would care to explain it would be appreciated, does it route via courier or post office. ?

Second best is amazon.

Importing a tablet seems to be the best option as the crap locally isn't worth it for the budget, secondhand devices locally have been pretty much used and abused so battery life is an issue for me, so would rather get a new device.The drawback to importing kills the budget a little, and I am not touching ebay.

Some recommendations with regard to which tablet brands is worth importing would also be appreciated as it's really a sea of no name brands and not sure which to trust ect.
@Dan C can comment since he owns one. I just ordered one a week ago, but check out the specs on this thing...
Best of all you can ship it using SA Express option (Buffalo couriers) and get it within 2 weeks.

wizardofid

Executive Member
@Dan C can comment since he owns one. I just ordered one a week ago, but check out the specs on this thing...
Best of all you can ship it using SA Express option (Buffalo couriers) and get it within 2 weeks.

Great tab really impressed, annoyances, doesn't have extra charging port, really awkward USB and HDMI placement and wifi only, 4G is a must.None the less stunning little pad. :)

Looks like the brand is decent then

Going with this then, and on special.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Last edited:

wizardofid

Executive Member
Dan C

Cool thanks mate, teclast seems like A good brand then, they have a special on teclast m20 for 2.6K with dual sim 4G, 4gig ram and 128gig rom and deca cores. Don't think I will do any better price wise for the specs.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Just save up a little more and buy an iPad. I was also in the market for a tablet, didn't want to go down the iPad route, but I'm happy I went against my "better judgement"

wizardofid

Executive Member
Just save up a little more and buy an iPad. I was also in the market for a tablet, didn't want to go down the iPad route, but I'm happy I went against my "better judgement"
I don't want apple, no matter the price, hardware or quality. Restrictiveness of the device and OS is what bothers me the most and can't get over that fact.The open endedness of android is what I love, any device that tries to "box" me is a no go.

The teclast m20 is definitely a worthy buy for the price.

chrisc

Executive Member
Got a 12.9" iPad Pro. Nice device but the battery life is poor. If its 100% at 9.00am it will be 15% by the end of the day. Digicape quite indifferent about this and maintain its average. During this time it has had 3 hours of screen use. Bluetooth switched off and no SIM in the slot

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Got a 12.9" iPad Pro. Nice device but the battery life is poor. If its 100% at 9.00am it will be 15% by the end of the day. Digicape quite indifferent about this and maintain its average. During this time it has had 3 hours of screen use. Bluetooth switched off and no SIM in the slot
Yeah that doesn’t sound right at all.

It should easily get through a day with mostly screen on time.

Daruk

Honorary Master
It's more than double the price for an entry 6th gen iPad.

Genisys

Honorary Master
It's more than double the price for an entry 6th gen iPad.
More than twice the price for a product that will get software upgrades, that will be supported for a minimum of 2 years, and a product that has a very good experience overall? Worth it to OP? No, OP convinced them self that Android tablets is the only way, so no point in arguing why an iPad is a good choice.

Daruk

Honorary Master
More than twice the price for a product that will get software upgrades, that will be supported for a minimum of 2 years, and a product that has a very good experience overall? Worth it to OP? No, OP convinced them self that Android tablets is the only way, so no point in arguing why an iPad is a good choice.
OP was quite clear on why they don't want Apple. All valid reasons no?

Genisys

Honorary Master
OP was quite clear on why they don't want Apple. All valid reasons no?
OP asked for recommendations in their original post, didn't say Apple isn't an option, I gave a valid recommendation, no?

You said that an iPad is double the price, I just said that it has many advantages, not trying to convince OP that an iPad is the best option, no?

wizardofid

Executive Member
Yeah, looks good, lower res, but a good tab.
Screen res isn't really an issue for me. It is in my cart, will probably pay for it tomorrow just waiting for paypal funds to clear.

With regards to apple, considering I didn't even mention it and considering I strictly looked at android and the odd MS tablet, one would think it was obvious enough I don't want an ipad, clearly not.

However it seems you are a fan of apple and I am a fan of any thing NOT apple, we going to disagree to what is a good tablet.I don't want apple, I disagree with every thing the device stands for, having to pay a arm and a leg for any thing you might want extra as an accessory and their general shitty attitude towards customers. I could go on and on, as to why I think ipads, regardless of the quality of the device, just how shitty it is.

Do I care for software updates, don't know why on earn is that a plus point, I am running devices with android 5, 6 and 7, this has 8, it's android, you do know they only started phasing out android 4 apps now only, considering 99% of apps is backward compatible, new android version is a nice to have, not a must.Clearly you also not aware, google requires that all manufactures will be required to support their devices in future with OS updates, at least the popular and quality brands will comply, which is why I asked for brand recommendations.

What do you know teclast http://www.teclast.com/en/firmware/ has better support then most.

Hands down the best thing about android, is the ability to load custom roms, quick search reveal there is a android pie custom firmware available for the M20.Sure you can jailbreak an Ipad, just for the purposes of being able to do more with it.Loading a custom rom on android, to be able to do more, is about the 100th reason to do it.

Apple has it's merits, their devices are generally top notch, to me that is all that is good about them.

/Rant off

Daruk

Honorary Master
OP asked for recommendations in their original post, didn't say Apple isn't an option, I gave a valid recommendation, no?
Nobody argued that.

You said that an iPad is double the price, I just said that it has many advantages, not trying to convince OP that an iPad is the best option, no?
Nothing wrong with that either?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Screen res isn't really an issue for me. It is in my cart, will probably pay for it tomorrow just waiting for paypal funds to clear.

With regards to apple, considering I didn't even mention it and considering I strictly looked at android and the odd MS tablet, one would think it was obvious enough I don't want an ipad, clearly not.

However it seems you are a fan of apple and I am a fan of any thing NOT apple, we going to disagree to what is a good tablet.I don't want apple, I disagree with every thing the device stands for, having to pay a arm and a leg for any thing you might want extra as an accessory and their general shitty attitude towards customers. I could go on and on, as to why I think ipads, regardless of the quality of the device, just how shitty it is.

Do I care for software updates, don't know why on earn is that a plus point, I am running devices with android 5, 6 and 7, this has 8, it's android, you do know they only started phasing out android 4 apps now only, considering 99% of apps is backward compatible, new android version is a nice to have, not a must.Clearly you also not aware, google requires that all manufactures will be required to support their devices in future with OS updates, at least the popular and quality brands will comply, which is why I asked for brand recommendations.

What do you know teclast http://www.teclast.com/en/firmware/ has better support then most.

Hands down the best thing about android, is the ability to load custom roms, quick search reveal there is a android pie custom firmware available for the M20.Sure you can jailbreak an Ipad, just for the purposes of being able to do more with it.Loading a custom rom on android, to be able to do more, is about the 100th reason to do it.

Apple has it's merits, their devices are generally top notch, to me that is all that is good about them.

/Rant off
I'm an Android fanboy as well but.
1. You can't always load a custom firmware if the original OEM locked the boot loader.
2. If there are custom firmwares there is always a compromise somewhere, camera not 100%, Bluetooth, wireless something and you can eventually get fixes by the custom guys. But they also do stop eventually.
3. Yes Google play store allows the apps, but the underlying OS has had no security updates.
4. Android tablets are pretty much dead unless you're willing to go for an imported Chinese brand, none of the big players really build a decent on spec tablet anymore it wasn't worth their efforts.
5. Android after Honeycomb was never really built for tablets, yes the OEMs use custom skins to fit things but the apps are just not really optimised, though nowadays with the wide scope of phones this isn't really as much a problem, but there are still some SOCs apps don't run well on.

In all honesty for a tablet, I'd get an iPad. Though imho tablets aren't really needed with phablets and such.

Daruk

Honorary Master
In all honesty for a tablet, I'd get an iPad. Though imho tablets aren't really needed with phablets and such.
Phablets suck by comparison for watching shows on. iPads suck on the price score when you want to store stuff locally.
I recently (past week) bought both an iPad and an Android tab.
1) My wife is familiar with Apple and will get the iPad and the iPad is less PT technically so a win there. She also streams movies while in the gym which is fine on either.

2) I want mine for BitGym and I run it offline and the sheer number of trails and runs available mean external storage (SD card) is the way cheaper option. 128gb iPad is disproportionately expensive by comparison to the 32Gb version.

Those are my reasons for Android over iPad and vice versa. I use both effectively.