Chinese Tablet Buyers Guide.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Phablets suck by comparison for watching shows on. iPads suck on the price score when you want to store stuff locally.
I recently (past week) bought both an iPad and an Android tab.
1) My wife is familiar with Apple and will get the iPad and the iPad is less PT technically so a win there. She also streams movies while in the gym which is fine on either.

2) I want mine for BitGym and I run it offline and the sheer number of trails and runs available mean external storage (SD card) is the way cheaper option. 128gb iPad is disproportionately expensive by comparison to the 32Gb version.

Those are my reasons for Android over iPad and vice versa. I use both effectively.
Not really an apple to apples comparison, look for an Android tablet with the same specs as an iPad and try to compare the pricing, you'll quickly see that an iPad isn't really that expensive.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
Not really an apple to apples comparison, look for an Android tablet with the same specs as an iPad and try to compare the pricing, you'll quickly see that an iPad isn't really that expensive.
While I'm sure you could find an Android tab with similar pricing to an iPad, it's very easy to find an Android tab with similar or better specs than an iPad for less money. If you can't, you're not trying.

Feel free to post specs and pricing.

Genisys

Honorary Master
While I'm sure you could find an Android tab with similar pricing to an iPad, it's very easy to find an Android tab with similar or better specs than an iPad for less money. If you can't, you're not trying.

Feel free to post specs and pricing.
Quiet simple to find actually

That is a "prime example" of an Android tablet. Sure it has better specs, but the OS isn't optimized for the Tablet, so guess how that tablet will run in a few months time.

maumau

Honorary Master
What do you mean the OS isn't optimised for the tablet?

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
Quiet simple to find actually

That is a "prime example" of an Android tablet. Sure it has better specs, but the OS isn't optimized for the Tablet, so guess how that tablet will run in a few months time.
I'll say it again ..

While I'm sure you could find an Android tab with similar pricing to an iPad <--- what you just did above....

it's
very easy to find an Android tab with similar or better specs than an iPad for less money. If you can't, you're not trying.<---my point

wizardofid

Executive Member
I'm an Android fanboy as well but.
1. You can't always load a custom firmware if the original OEM locked the boot loader.
2. If there are custom firmwares there is always a compromise somewhere, camera not 100%, Bluetooth, wireless something and you can eventually get fixes by the custom guys. But they also do stop eventually.
3. Yes Google play store allows the apps, but the underlying OS has had no security updates.
4. Android tablets are pretty much dead unless you're willing to go for an imported Chinese brand, none of the big players really build a decent on spec tablet anymore it wasn't worth their efforts.
5. Android after Honeycomb was never really built for tablets, yes the OEMs use custom skins to fit things but the apps are just not really optimised, though nowadays with the wide scope of phones this isn't really as much a problem, but there are still some SOCs apps don't run well on.

In all honesty for a tablet, I'd get an iPad. Though imho tablets aren't really needed with phablets and such.

1. OEM boot loader locked ? How many devices are there with a locked OEM, how many devices can't be bypassed ?
Just checked
Amazon Kindle fire I have here, you can install android 6 as well as unlock
Hisense 601S My old phone unlocked boot loader
Dixon tablet unlocked
LG K9 my current phone unlocked.
Tablet device I got from MTN last year unlocked.
Lenovo Tab 3 I had unlocked boot loader.
Year before that, I had a Mecer tablet with an unlocked boot loader, but had to return due to stuck screen pixels
Had another tablet as well that I had to return, SD card slot didn't work, which also had a unlocked boot loader.
Quick search revealed you can quite easily unlock the boot loader on samsung phones.
If it's a popular device, you could unlock the boot loader quite easily without much effort, rarely if ever will you find much issue with unlocking the boot loader.You will have a harder time finding a firmware.

2.Custom firmware with issues is common, however you want to tell me you going to load a custom firmware if it is going to break some thing.Want to tell me you not going to research a custom firmware first before nilly willy loading it. ?

3.Sure no security updates on a android phone or tablet, I got my first tablet 5 years ago, not a single one had antivirus on them very few had android updates, not a single one in all that time picked up a virus, spyware or adware or any thing malicious, if you going to side load apps from less then trusted websites, or visit websites you shouldn't, that is your problem.Personally what is the worse thing to happen if you get a virus, you factory reset the device. Personally if you leave the bootloader unlocked and root your device and not have antivirus installed, you are an idiot and deserve whatever you get in return.That said china brands even well know brands got highjacked recently and adware or spyware were installed on them

4.No android tablet market has slowed down, but it's far from dead. If you referring to the South African market, clearly you not as well educated as you might think, Samsung, levono, huawei ect all have pretty high end tablets, it's just the south african market and developing market is their dumping ground for old stock and generally markets for cheaper tablets.We just don't get to see some of those tablets, or is released much later when EOL.

Till recently MTN was still flogging Android 4 Samsung tablets on contract.

5.WTH are you on about ? Getting a stock android firmware is probably the best thing since slice bread, it isn't going to be bloated with the usual crap you find on popular devices, my LG and hisense phones were all bloated by extra crap, samsung S3 same story. The only popular maker I had in recent years that have their devices run as close to stock without bloatware is lenovo, rarely if ever did I have any issues with the device.

Only device I have had problems with is the dixon tablet, where on the rare occasion if the internet connection isn't great it would crash chrome or stop responding for a few seconds.Pretty much any game suited to the tablet hardware ran without problems.

Apple has one OS with strict control over the OS as well as the apps, google releases an android version that has been tried and tested, all the OEM has to do is load their specific hardware drivers for the specific chip set and job done.I have yet to find a device running stock, that is extremely slow as a direct result.

Last edited:

Genisys

Honorary Master
What do you mean the OS isn't optimised for the tablet?
Android is developed to run on a wide variety of devices, whereas iOS (iPadOS soon) is developed to run on a hand full of devices. Sure, Samsung might optimize the version of Android their devices receive, but mostly for only the two years after purchase, then they stop supporting the device.

maumau

Honorary Master
Android is developed to run on a wide variety of devices, whereas iOS (iPadOS soon) is developed to run on a hand full of devices. Sure, Samsung might optimize the version of Android their devices receive, but mostly for only the two years after purchase, then they stop supporting the device.

Ah, OK thanks for explaining :)

Genisys

Honorary Master
Apple has one OS with strict control over the OS as well as the apps, google releases an android version that has been tried and tested, all the OEM has to do is load their specific hardware drivers for the specific chip set and job done.I have yet to find a device running stock, that is extremely slow as a direct result.
Wait, you can still sideload apps on iOS just like on Android, jailbreak and you are good to go. Google also has strict control over their OS and apps on the app store, look at the whole Huawei saga, it showed us just how wrong we were about Android being "open". Android might be Open Source, but the apps that we rely on on a daily basis is Google apps, without Gapps the experience will be dismal to say the least. The device will still be usable, but lots of the fundamentals that make Android what it is is not so Open Source.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Wait, you can still sideload apps on iOS just like on Android, jailbreak and you are good to go. Google also has strict control over their OS and apps on the app store, look at the whole Huawei saga, it showed us just how wrong we were about Android being "open". Android might be Open Source, but the apps that we rely on on a daily basis is Google apps, without Gapps the experience will be dismal to say the least. The device will still be usable, but lots of the fundamentals that make Android what it is is not so Open Source.

AND THAT IS MY BIGGEST ISSUE WITH APPLE.Why should I have to void warranty to be able to do what I want app wise by default.

Do you have to use Huawei ? Do you have to use the google store. ? The fact that you don't have to use google or even have google play installed unless you have an app that requires it, makes the argument moot, in fact I have several games installed on my amazon tablet that works just fine without having ANY google services installed, Does it limit the pool of apps is it needs google services, by rather small margin.

Some of the alternatives.
Aptoide
Amazon Appstore
F-Droid
SlideMe
ApkMirror
GetJar

Besides if it's on the google play store and it's popular, it's a good bet you will find it on the amazon app store.Point is you don't ever have to use or have ANY google services installed to get the exact same experience you would normally with google services install, unless you want to use an app that requires certain services.The fact that the amount of apps you can choose from else where and considering just how riddled the google apps store is with ad based apps and fake apps even paywall apps, by factor of 10 compared to apple.
Who in their right mind want to use app store any ways.

Besides even if an app requires google services you can hack an app a remove various things you don't want and create a new installation of the app with in a few minutes without any tech knowledge.

jailbreak some thing I can do by default.......lol

There are a million alternatives to the google apple, compared to the 100's on apple.

Genisys

Honorary Master
AND THAT IS MY BIGGEST ISSUE WITH APPLE.Why should I have to void warranty to be able to do what I want app wise by default.

Do you have to use Huawei ? Do you have to use the google store. ? The fact that you don't have to use google or even have google play installed unless you have an app that requires it, makes the argument moot, in fact I have several games installed on my amazon tablet that works just fine without having ANY google services installed, Does it limit the pool of apps is it needs google services, by rather small margin.

Some of the alternatives.
Aptoide
Amazon Appstore
F-Droid
SlideMe
ApkMirror
GetJar

Besides if it's on the google play store and it's popular, it's a good bet you will find it on the amazon app store.Point is you don't ever have to use or have ANY google services installed to get the exact same experience you would normally with google services install, unless you want to use an app that requires certain services.The fact that the amount of apps you can choose from else where and considering just how riddled the google apps store is with ad based apps and fake apps even paywall apps, by factor of 10 compared to apple.
Who in their right mind want to use app store any ways.

Besides even if an app requires google services you can hack an app a remove various things you don't want and create a new installation of the app with in a few minutes without any tech knowledge.

jailbreak some thing I can do by default.......lol

There are a million alternatives to the google apple, compared to the 100's on apple.
You ranted on earlier on in this thread that Stock Android is the best thing ever, yet you seem to forget that Stock Android has a very high level of dependence on Google Play Services, like it or not, without Google Play Services you are in for a not so fun time. As for your assumption that one can simply remove google dependencies from an app in a couple of minutes is so far from the truth is terrifying. Most of the core Android applications building blocks is using the Google implementation of packages and libraries above the Android libraries. Google play services gets updated every now and then, whereas the Android libraries can only be updated with OS upgrades, so your illusion of just "removing Google play services without any tech knowledge" is very wrong, especially considering most apps that are published is ran through proGuard making it near impossible to quickly remove something".

wizardofid

Executive Member
You ranted on earlier on in this thread that Stock Android is the best thing ever, yet you seem to forget that Stock Android has a very high level of dependence on Google Play Services, like it or not, without Google Play Services you are in for a not so fun time. As for your assumption that one can simply remove google dependencies from an app in a couple of minutes is so far from the truth is terrifying. Most of the core Android applications building blocks is using the Google implementation of packages and libraries above the Android libraries. Google play services gets updated every now and then, whereas the Android libraries can only be updated with OS upgrades, so your illusion of just "removing Google play services without any tech knowledge" is very wrong, especially considering most apps that are published is ran through proGuard making it near impossible to quickly remove something".

Lucky Patcher

/end rant.

Depending the app you can bypass proguard entirely, and have been using luck patcher since android 5.In fact lucky patcher was kind enough to allow hacking google play services and associated libraries.What luck patcher can't hack is services on the server side.

Considering most apps on the store are from indie and smaller companies who can't run server side services, the number of apps that can't be patched isn't all that many.

Stock Android has a very high level of dependence on Google Play Services, like it or not, without Google Play Services you are in for a not so fun time
Fire OS while modified still runs a bucket load of android code in fact so much so that apps that works on android will work on fire os.

LineageOS is actually as close to stock as you can get and doesn't have various google play services and associated libraries installed.In fact quite a few china tablets comes without google play services at all and running a stock android, as you need to pay google and play by their rules, play services isn't that ingrained in the OS that you can't remove it entirely.

The fact that you have amazon app store makes your argument of a tough time moot, as amazon app store doesn't use play services and dependencies at all and like I said if it's a popular app you most likely find it there.It is after all the second largest app store outside of google.

As I said before, you can pretty much run amazon apps on a normal android device without much fuss.Then there is Fdroid which is pretty much anti google any thing, and entirely open source and free.

Play services a must..........lol How long having you been using android, clearly not long enough......lol

/End rant

Before any one bitches and moans, I use lucky patcher almost exclusively to remove ads, especially MX player which can be annoying with ads, rarely if ever if a game is behind a unfair or odds stacked against you paywall do I even bother with the app or try and patch it.Besides I don't game heavily on my tablet any ways rarely use the play store, fdroid and amazon store to the rescue.

These are the apps I have installed on my tablets at any given time. Prime world defenders, bejeweled 3 classic, solitaire collection, chess, backgammon and kingdom rush, city islands( match 3 game like 700 odd levels) MX player, chrome or firefox, and a GPS navigational app.

My tablets are almost entirely for viewing pleasure, browsing the internet and playing a game as an after thought.I enjoy bejewel 3 classic immensely especially diamond mine, which I can play hours on end.Don't care for any thing else, have a dedicated portable gaming console which does exactly what it needs to do.

My phone is a damn phone and I use it as such, there is no games, no extra pointless apps or crap, it's stock and I have disabled and uninstalled as much of the apps/services as possible, the phone hasn't been on the internet since Jan this year, every few months I might go on just to check for updates and that is it.If could I would most definitely go back to a nokia 5110. A phone is a phone not a fashion accessory or bling, it's the reason I have a tablet, dedicated gaming device and a simple entry/mid range phone, without all the bells and crap, that lasts me 3 or 4 days or more on a single charge.In fact battery saving mode is almost exclusively enabled on the phone.I have 2 gig ram and some fancy snapdragon CPU and GPU, which I couldn't give a damn about.

On a tablet, ram, rom cpu/gpu is important because I use the device more actively, you could give me a phone with android 4 on it and I wouldn't and couldn't be bothered.I don't even have my phone on me half of the time, as I forget it in my room, when I go to my office. I think the only active features I used on the phone is the times it automatically goes to silent and blocking spam numbers, that is how far I tweaked the phone.

Sadly I haven't been able to order my tablet yet still waiting for paypal funds got a confirmation it will be some time tomorrow. I hope there is enough stock till then.....

wizardofid

Executive Member
Arthur

I flirted with the idea of getting a surface tablet (secondhand) and they are actually pretty awesome, already have 3 PC's with windows. Found refurbished surface tablet without keyboard with shipping for 2.2K on ebay.

There is always the jumper ezpad with keyboard/cover for just over 3.2K on gearbest which isn't half bad at all. I have a desktop while adding the tablet to the desktop ecosystem would definitely be a plus, decided against windows based tablet and stick with android.

Personally would love a surface pro, as semi desktop replacement especially with power failures here, would be handy to just continue with work unhindered, perhaps one day. :)

Arthur

Honorary Master
Arthur

I flirted with the idea of getting a surface tablet (secondhand) and they are actually pretty awesome, already have 3 PC's with windows. Found refurbished surface tablet without keyboard with shipping for 2.2K on ebay.

There is always the jumper ezpad with keyboard/cover for just over 3.2K on gearbest which isn't half bad at all. I have a desktop while adding the tablet to the desktop ecosystem would definitely be a plus, decided against windows based tablet and stick with android.

Personally would love a surface pro, as semi desktop replacement especially with power failures here, would be handy to just continue with work unhindered, perhaps one day. :)
Hi Wizard. The machine in the pic is the little Surface Go with a 10-inch screen. Light, thin, USB, full access to file system, lekker screen. Win10 Pro runs just fine, and when I don't use the keyboard Win10 has a useful Tablet Mode.

I had a Surface Pro 4 a while back. Great device.

Last edited:

wizardofid

Executive Member
Outside the budget, some thing to keep in mind for a another time ☺

wizardofid

Executive Member
And ordered, my neighbor also wanted this tablet, so got him one as well, splitting shipping costs ect.
ordered screen protector and as well as a case and used a 15% voucher discount and some GB.

Total worked out to 2.8K per person. Thoroughly chuffed, we can use the expedited shipping as well.

Specs for the tablet
MT6797 (X23) Deca Core
Android 8
4gig ram
128gig rom
1920 x 1200
Dual sim 2g/3g/4g

Can't wait to get my hands on this

Last edited:

wizardofid

Executive Member
So I have a bit of a gripe, with gearbest.

I noticed some thing that some sellers inflate their discount and RRP prices on gearbest, especially with the device I ordered.I did my research and I did get around R500-R700 discount unlike the 31% discount it touted to have.

General prices are around 2.6K to 3K, the 4g 64gig version between 2.3k and 2.6k.

This isn't the only item that I have noticed with inflated RRP and discount prices, there are quite a few of them.

Regardless at 2.5K, for 4gig ram and 128gig rom and helio X23 isn't half bad considering, this is considered a budget tablet.I had quite a laugh when watching reviews and the reviewers all mentioning this is a budget tablet.

Compared to the cheap crap that gets sold here with the exception of samsung and apple, huawei and some lenovo stuff maybe another brand or two, it is any thing but budget here. If some one would to start importing them and selling it here I would expect that they would add a decent mark up on it, and it will still be cheaper then what we consider as midrange/high endish.

These two both nearly double in price, about the closest performance wise, makes me wonder what the actual SA mark up is for these devices.I bet the screen quality and hardware quality is better, however these devices are actually over a year old already. The M20 I ordered was updated in june this year with a new version, are they really worth the price gap. ?

The helio X23 almost 3 years old, Kirin 659, over 2 years and the snapdragon 450 also just over two year, in tech terms all 3 are pretty old, with similar performance. I wonder if you are paying for the brand name or the hardware.

I just think we are getting royally screwed over here, tablets with 1gig ram and 16gig roms in some cases still with android 4 or 5 some times 6 is pretty much the norm here, some still with mali 400mp graphics and still some have a price premium in some cases. I very much suspect it is going to be awhile before we even remotely starting seeing 6 and 8 core cpu's in budget tablets.

Last edited: