chip and pin card - DID YOU KNOW . . .

NevilleTheDevil!

The other day I mentioned to my bank that I were surprised that I did not need to enter my PIN with a transaction with my chip and pin card . . . .

Their answer:
"We refer to your concerns raised regarding the pin acceptance of your card and confirm that although ------- bank has provided you with a chip and pin card , if the merchant's point of sale device has not been upgraded , then the transaction would be processed via the magnetic strip without a pin."

Eish . . . :eek:

akescpt

Honorary Master
Saw a teller at ww bypass the chip. I was like :wtf:

Last edited:

Park@82

Honorary Master
Yeah, I use my cc at tollgates all the time- no need to enter pin. Makes me wonder whats the point....

zizebra

FNB has an option to enable pin and chip security. I enabled it. Since then my card only works in few outlets. Most atms and swipe machines dont work.

ddrd

Dude's if the terminal/POS does not support EMV Chip card it will automatically prompt to do a fallback transaction (Magstrip), this happens will all Bank chip cards

OMB

Mountain Man
/shrugs

although the card is chip and pin the magnetic strip still functions as normal so you can bypass the requirement for a pin on the terminal in case there's a problem with the chip or chip reader on the terminal. This is usually stated somewhere in the gumpf they give you every time you collect a new card (or it used to with Nedbank anyway)

Jola

Honorary Master
Just scratch the magnetic strip off.

Works like a charm, haven't found an outlet that can't use the chip&pin.

But I do have another card for backup.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
FNB has an option to enable pin and chip security. I enabled it. Since then my card only works in few outlets. Most atms and swipe machines dont work.
This

You need to make double sure at your bank that it is activated (all protocols).

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
The chip is lightyears ahead of the magstrip when it comes to security. It has the equivalent processing power of a old 486, and has multiple levels of security on it - both hard and software. This includes part of the chip being dummy architecture that generates fake 'noise'. It is as copy proof as you can get.
The magstrip is still included as a backup for shops don't have the new chip reader yet.
Most cases of card fraud they damage the chip, then reprogram the magstrip.

But yeah. Using your card without the pin - really a bad idea.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The whole point of chip and pin is about liability and who carries the can if something goes wrong.

If the card is chip and pin enabled and the merchant chooses to bypass chip and pin by allowing pinless transactions using the mag strip of the card, then the merchant will be held liable for the chargeback if the card is fraudulently used.

If the card is chip and pin enabled and the merchant has configured their terminals to only use chip and pin, then the merchant will escape liability for the chargeback if the card is fraudulently used because liability has now passed to either the bank or the holder of the card. It's then up the bank or the holder of the card to slug it out over who is liable for the loss.

Bottom line is that chip and pin in reality is more about protecting the merchant than it is about protecting the holder of the card.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
The whole point of chip and pin is about liability and who carries the can if something goes wrong.

If the card is chip and pin enabled and the merchant chooses to bypass chip and pin by allowing pinless transactions using the mag strip of the card, then the merchant will be held liable for the chargeback if the card is fraudulently used.

If the card is chip and pin enabled and the merchant has configured their terminals to only use chip and pin, then the merchant will escape liability for the chargeback if the card is fraudulently used because liability has now passed to either the bank or the holder of the card. It's then up the bank or the holder of the card to slug it out over who is liable for the loss.

Bottom line is that chip and pin in reality is more about protecting the merchant than it is about protecting the holder of the card.
This

If they don't use the pin the transaction doesn't go online and is only processed with batch transactions a week or 2 later,plenty of time to report a stolen or lost card

lucifir

Expert Member

Bottom line is that chip and pin in reality is more about protecting the Bank than it is about protecting the holder of the card.
FTFY

Batista

Executive Member
Im surprised this is even an option.It should by default be enabled.Can anyone explain why this isn't the case?