Choosing a decent camera for YouTube

howzitcal

Hey Guys,

I've started a small YouTube channel, when I first started recording I bought a 16MP Fujitsu camera with 20X optical zoom, And I thought hell this camera will be great for videos... WRONG. The R1600 camera took very grainy 720P videos weather it was light or dark, and the microphone was located at the back half of the camera:confused:...WTF:wtf: just seems like a terrible design, I could hardly hear myself 1 meter away...

So today I get a supprise that I've got R800 extra this month so I thought maybe there is a decent entry level camera out there that could give me a decent looking 720p video when videwing it under 320p quality and have a decent microphone(front facing).

I've looked around on takealot.com and kalahari.com and there were some nice camera's fitting the price range but when I look for videos on YouTube regarding sample footage for the camera's the outcome was... off putting...:sick:

So my question is what camera could I get that would fit my description for +/- R1000?:erm:

Another question is should I look for cheaper second hand alternatives on Gumtree? :eek:

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) replying :D

Ridolfc

Expert Member
Why not just use your smart phone?
My Sony Xperia Z3 compact can do up to 4k resolution. Sound is good, video is good.

Electric

Honorary Master
You shouldn't be buying a camera for it's sound, only buy it for the video and get a separate mic for sound.

howzitcal

true, but what about videos on the go? did you look at the above samsung? doesn't look bad for its price

prOd

Expert Member
Hey man, why don't you save up for an entry level 2nd hand Canon DSLR? The videos will blow you away ;)

Last edited:

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Nothing that costs R1,000 is going to deliver very impressive results.

If you're serious about it then you'll have to extend your budget, save up for a little longer and get something like suggested above (Canon DSLR).

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Nothing that costs R1000 new is going to give give you halfway decent quality. The best thing you can do is save up some more and/or look for a second hand recent Sony. They're entry-level ones often don't do more than 720p but at least the quality is very good.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Actually, coming to think of it, something like the WX200 will do 1080 at 50fps. They go for £120 new here, and they've just been replaced with the WX220, so you might be able to either get a bargain or get one second-hand at your price range.

Disclaimer: I have not used the WX200 specifically, but I have used other models that have the same sensor, and the quality is about as good as it gets in that class of camera.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Hey Guys,

I've started a small YouTube channel, when I first started recording I bought a 16MP Fujitsu camera with 20X optical zoom, And I thought hell this camera will be great for videos... WRONG. The R1600 camera took very grainy 720P videos weather it was light or dark, and the microphone was located at the back half of the camera:confused:...WTF:wtf: just seems like a terrible design, I could hardly hear myself 1 meter away...

So today I get a supprise that I've got R800 extra this month so I thought maybe there is a decent entry level camera out there that could give me a decent looking 720p video when videwing it under 320p quality and have a decent microphone(front facing).

I've looked around on takealot.com and kalahari.com and there were some nice camera's fitting the price range but when I look for videos on YouTube regarding sample footage for the camera's the outcome was... off putting...:sick:

So my question is what camera could I get that would fit my description for +/- R1000?:erm:

Another question is should I look for cheaper second hand alternatives on Gumtree? :eek:

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) replying :D
I think you have two problems here - poor lighting and poor audio. Get yourself a decent microphone and digital recorder and then head to builders warehouse and pick up some lights.

AhComment

Hey man, why don't you save up for an entry level 2nd hand Canon DSLR? The videos will blow you away ;)

Try selling off what you spent on , get a Canon 500D secondhand or better model ( 650D ) from Kameraz , ODP , ORMS - any of the decent camera dealers. Then use Magic Latern to do the video work with. Visit the ML website to see what is possible .

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Camera = photos

Camcorder = Videos

Not really, unless I misunderstand what you mean. I'd say the majority of small/medium Youtube channel producers use DSLR cameras these days and it's perfectly suited for the purpose.

prOd

Expert Member
Not really, unless I misunderstand what you mean. I'd say the majority of small/medium Youtube channel producers use DSLR cameras these days and it's perfectly suited for the purpose.

Hell, even movies use DSLRs...