choosing another fibre provider

spiff

Executive Member
So my gf and all other residents had an issue with the fibre in her complex on Friday - it just stopped working.

turns out to be a financial dispute between 2 companies

m.JPG

the complex has limited choices with fibre ISP.

her only other choices are - afrihost / webafrica.

I don't know either of these 2 ISP - so which of the 2 above are better?

thanks

Jaseyyxx

So my gf and all other residents had an issue with the fibre in her complex on Friday - it just stopped working.

View attachment 1051289

thanks
I'm with afrihost and can vouch for their service and network quality. I've helped webafrica clients migrate to afrihost and that's always been a painful process.

Krayfish

I am with WebAfrica and I can vote - please go for AfriHost. I am busy right now changing over.

WebAfrica is about R100 more expensive for every product they have, their support is useless, their billing flopped numerous times, they just bounce my debit orders followed by a nasty sms on how they will cut my services with immediate effect, even though the payment issue is on their side. They force you to use their Whatsapp support line, but it takes them an hour to answer. And if you missed the message they give you 2 minutes to respond, else you have to restart the whole process.

I have quite a few people with Afrihost, and been with them before. They are super. Also month to month contract, super friendly and efficient.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

View attachment 1051289

thanks

If you need any assistance or info regarding our services on Teralink feel free to send me a message.

A migration is pretty straight forward and you can signup and view our packages available here.

Krayfish

I thought I was the only one having issues with WebAfrica.

The problem there is if you are stuck with a 20 / 1 or a 50 / 1 or a 100 / 5 line, they can really bill exactly what they want to. They will only do a price match if that exact same product is at another ISP. Seeing that most others have a 20 / 20, or a 50 / 5 or 100 / 10, they can only match the price, but your upload speed is not the same.

That really is like saying I will sell my Jeep as the same price as your Jeep, but mine only has one gear in low-range. And I think that is 100% justified. And you must accept it that way.

I've met few people that requires a 20 / 20, or 50 / 50, or a 100 / 100 line. But even if you do, they are still more expensive by quite a few points.

If you are with WebAfrica, it's past 12 months. Move. That is my advice. Crap (to non-existent) support, crap billing system, crap pricing. And honestly I am struggling with NetFlix streaming on a 20 / 2 line on a 1080 device. Single device connected to the router. I should not have issues like this.

I've had to bump many questions onto AfriHost in the past few months - specifically for my intended move. Quick, friendly, knowledgeable. I wish I can share some screenshots of the mediocre and amateur responses from WebAfrica here. 2 of my calls had a 2 hour delay. Another 2 with 1 hour.

Honestly I only dealt with their BS because my ex worked from home, I could not afford an interruption. That's past now, Afrihost says it takes about 48 hours to move ISP. Great... Here I come!

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member

View attachment 1051289

thanks
Definitely afrihost.. Never had any issues with them

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
We specifically recommended Afrihost and we stand by our recommendation.
How does this work for me? I am currently with you but I see Afrihost is cheaper. Are you also going to offer the 30/3 package at a similar price as them in the near future?

portcullis

Cape Connect Internet Rep
Company Rep
How does this work for me? I am currently with you but I see Afrihost is cheaper. Are you also going to offer the 30/3 package at a similar price as them in the near future?
Which FNO are you on?

As a rule, we don't offer asymmetrical packages.

Pineapple Smurf

Which FNO are you on?

As a rule, we don't offer asymmetrical packages.
I have no idea, I just pay R599 per month for the 10/10 Fibre line.
Some companies are offering some really great deals out there at the moment, including the upgrade from a 10Mb line to a 25Mb line

portcullis

Company Rep
I have no idea, I just pay R599 per month for the 10/10 Fibre line.
Some companies are offering some really great deals out there at the moment, including the upgrade from a 10Mb line to a 25Mb line

The first step is for you to find out who the FNO is. That will reflect on your invoice. For example, Frogfoot, Openserve, Octotel, Vumatel etc.

Pineapple Smurf

The first step is for you to find out who the FNO is. That will reflect on your invoice. For example, Frogfoot, Openserve, Octotel, Vumatel etc.
Thanx for the quick reply.
Unfortunately I cannot answer that question, I thought my FNO is Cape Connect
This is what my invoice looks like each month.

1618994391050.png

Last edited:

portcullis

Company Rep
You may want to blank out the bank account numbers on that image...

I see you are making manual payments and not being charged a manual processing fee. Could you please contact accounts@cape-connect.com to discuss your options?

portcullis

Company Rep

Afrihost (or Cape Connect) on Frogfoot is substantially cheaper due to the network topology. On Frogfoot you have one piece of fibre to the nearest splitter and OLT in Helderview, from there you connect via a single fibre backbone to Rondebosch via a POP at Somerset Mall. The security guards you see lurking at the N2 / R300 junction are there to guard a series of manholes. However, when people riot near the airport, beat the guards up, open the manholes and burn the fibre, there's an outage. When the batteries in the POP in Heldervue, or the POP at the mall run out, you have an outage. It's the nature of the network.

The Internode network you are on at the moment has four separate fibre routes to reach one of two mirrored data centres - one in Rondebosch and one in Diep River. Two routes are via the N2. One route runs via Kuils River and one route runs through Stellenbosch, Wellington and down the N7. The running costs of a network with that type of resiliancy are much higher, hence the higher prices and your service almost never being down.

So it's all down to what you can afford. If you want cheap with no guarantees of uptime, you have a box outside your home. The contractors can dig a new fibre in. If you want stable and reliable, you're going to have to pay more.

spiff

Executive Member
@AfriNatic

We are having buffering issues and also the feed goes blank for a few seconds then comes back on again?

Any suggestions?

belator

@AfriNatic

We are having buffering issues and also the feed goes blank for a few seconds then comes back on again?

Any suggestions?

My gran was also one of the people who I suddenly had to find another ISP for. I've been with CC for many years, from 1Mb wireless back in 2008 to my 200Mb FTTH on their fibre and 300Mb fibre at work on their fibre and our Jhb offices also on them as ISP, but on DFA fibre, plus properties I rent out and family members also on them, so I'd like to think I can ask @portcullis blunt questions and get the truth.

After I went to visit her and heard what she had to say about Teralink, I opted for an antenna with fixed wireless on Gran's roof, instead of continuing with another ISP on Teralink. Not all FNOs are equal...

@spiff , It's not @AfriNatic you should be complaining to, it's Teralink. I would not be surprised if their network is the problem.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
@AfriNatic

Any suggestions?

Are you using our Huawei Router we sent or another router?

What are the speeds like and what services are buffering or is it all streaming?