Chromecast with Google TV

stiller26

I have just disconnected my Xiaomi mibox 3 and 4, and gave them away. Tired of the disconnection, hanging and green screens.
I’m waiting for the Chromecast 4K with Google TV that I’ve just ordered from Takealot. Anyone currently using the device, and how is the performance?

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Do you have a link to the product?

johnjm

Expert Member
I’ve got one, pretty impressed with it, over WiFi I stream HDR but granted I have my server connected via gigabit ethernet.

It handles proper HDR and is the best of both worlds as it’s also a chromecast and will turn your tv on and off with commands.

Tector

I have just disconnected my Xiaomi mibox 3 and 4, and gave them away. Tired of the disconnection, hanging and green screens.
I’m waiting for the Chromecast 4K with Google TV that I’ve just ordered from Takealot. Anyone currently using the device, and how is the performance?
I have one, and also recommended it to some family and friends. Great product. Had the ATV4K before that and this is much better because the voice assistant is supported unlike on the Apple.

Take note though that since it is not officially supported in SA you get no 'For You' , 'Movies' and 'TV Shows' tabs unless you are planning on using a VPN.

It supports all the HDR standards which most streamers don't which is a big plus for me personally.

No ethernet port, it is possible though with some attachment thingy.

Apple TV app also coming soon so will then support all the popular streaming services.

My only issue with it is that it doesn't yet support Atmos on the Tidal music app.

Other than that you can't go wrong with it.

Hope it helps!

stiller26

I have one, and also recommended it to some family and friends. Great product. Had the ATV4K before that and this is much better because the voice assistant is supported unlike on the Apple.

Take note though that since it is not officially supported in SA you get no 'For You' , 'Movies' and 'TV Shows' tabs unless you are planning on using a VPN.

It supports all the HDR standards which most streamers don't which is a big plus for me personally.

No ethernet port, it is possible though with some attachment thingy.

Apple TV app also coming soon so will then support all the popular streaming services.

My only issue with it is that it doesn't yet support Atmos on the Tidal music app.

Other than that you can't go wrong with it.

Hope it helps!

Thanks.
I was planning on getting the ATV4K, but after I saw an article about the Apple TV app coming to it, then decided to get it.
It will work well with all my Google Home Devices in the house.
The Atmos support was the other reason I got it, as I’m planning to get an Atmos sound system.

Tector

Thanks.
I was planning on getting the ATV4K, but after I saw an article about the Apple TV app coming to it, then decided to get it.
It will work well with all my Google Home Devices in the house.
The Atmos support was the other reason I got it, as I’m planning to get an Atmos sound system.
You won't regret your purchase.

It also has a really handy CEC feature where you can choose which device it should use for volume, power and source from the remote.

Can also confirm Atmos and Vision works for Netflix and Prime and from what I can gather will work for the Apple TV app as well from launch. Even the Play Movies app has DV support.

Enjoy it!

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
So Netflix and Plex works great on these?

I've been a huge advocate of the Mi Box 3 and S, since I got the first one a few years ago. Was working 100%, even after updates. But after the last update, it's a **** show. Plex keeps breaking or hanging. Seems Xiaomi is breaking it.