Classic Arcade and e-Sports

Anunnaki-11

I’ve been a gamer from the tender age of six years old, and I never imagined that there would be such a thing as e-sports. Now that we are in that error wherein gaming is a serious thing, I have just a few concerns, especially with the S.A scene.

There isn’t as much promotion, exposure and/or visibility here proportional to the number of gamers, as well as in relation to the rest of the world. I’m from the ghetto wherein, some people don’t even know that gaming has been certified as a sport. This includes a number of people I’ve known who are experts or masters at certain games. Which, brings me to this main point of notice: that the genre spectrum of e-sports is unfairly confined and limited strictly to just a few hyped up, modern-day games and their consoles (platforms) with regards to competitiveness that pays. I mean, we don’t all play FIFA, DOTA, CS, and all of that. In addition, underprivileged gamers cannot afford these overpriced consoles, chunks of data, and computers with ideal specs. In a nutshell, there isn’t much inclusivity when it comes to competitive gaming in SA as far as I’m currently aware.

I, personally am still a sucker for old-school arcade (thanks to MAME), and have ideas to see the day that e-sports (in SA) is widely diversified as much as our nation is; equality and choice; platform and online support; as well as recognition of the validity of all platforms, genres, and eras of gaming. That will offer opportunities for the likes of say, someone who has spent years and money learning to master SF II, and overlooking not being able to afford an opportunity to compete on a SF V tournament for example.

I tried my best to summarize this concern of mine however, it is quite a deep and sensitive topic for me and thus, I’ve begun to see myself as a “e-sports/gaming rights socio-activist”. Lol!

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Mdu, dat u?
But seriously, I agree though the biggest difficulty is drawing a crowd and the fact that most old school games weren't often PvP style but co-op or single player. At least that's my take.

Anunnaki-11

No. Lol!

Well, taking your take into mind, the few PvPs available can be utilized, as much as the numerous co-ops can be included via scoreboards or time trials.
The world of e-sports is neglecting its roots and pioneers all in the name of what? Realistic graphics, fancy complexities, and technological advancements?

Little Mac

Honorary Master
No. Lol!

Well, taking your take into mind, the few PvPs available can be utilized, as much as the numerous co-ops can be included via scoreboards or time trials.
The world of e-sports is neglecting its roots and pioneers all in the name of what? Realistic graphics, fancy complexities, and technological advancements?
Agree, there's an entire generation of 'ballers' they could be capitalizing on.

Anunnaki-11

Mdu, dat u?
But seriously, I agree though the biggest difficulty is drawing a crowd and the fact that most old school games weren't often PvP style but co-op or single player. At least that's my take.
By the way, what made you think I was Mdu? Lol!

Crowley

Executive Member
What is there to miss about 16-bit graphics?

_kabal_

Expert Member
Don’t see how this is anything to do with inclusivity.

no one is stopping you from starting or partaking in old games competitively

Is it “exclusionary” because there is not massive money and tv coverage in Uno compared to poker? Of course not. The one is just much more popular than the other

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Esports exists because it has sponsors and endorsements. Competitive LAN is exactly that, a mutual interest. Those hyped-up titles are designed around competitiveness with rules in mind.

Yes, the 'arcade' era also had competitive esports, but these titles are also vendor licensed, and, yes, SA is stupidly late to the esports scene, and we aren't invested into LANs any more.

You can start your own gaming house or club and see where it goes. The moment you have enough traction and a stage to sell, then the sponsors will come and endorsements will pursue in its wake.

Just to put it out there, most esports titles are by design able to run 'optimally' on potatoes. You don't require high-end to kick-start your gaming career, it is very much upgrade as you earn.