Cleaning 5D MK II sensor

Freakboy

Expert Member
Hi Guys,

After our trip recently to the states I bought a 5D MK II as an upgrade from our old 350D. I used Dust-Aid Platinum to clean the sensor on the 350D, but I’m not sure how to clean the 5D MK II sensor. The self cleaning seems to work but there are 5 spots that don’t want to go away. They are not really a problem when doing portraits but when shooting landscapes on anything over F11 they start to show up.

Has anybody cleaned their 5D MK II sensor successfully themselves or know of a place in Centurion/Rivonia that can professionally clean the sensor. I’m not keen on using the Dust-Aid Platinum on the new sensor.
Any advice would be appreciated.

ldmelsa

Executive Member
How does the aperture of the lens effect the visibility of dust on the sensor? I don't know how it works. I'm just interested.

Wait, stupid question. I just remembered, it's in a book of mine. I'll go look it up. Got something to do with ?refraction?. Light's more concentrated? I was never good at physics. :erm:

Last edited:

sfarooq

@Freakboy

Take it to CameraTek they are the auth Canon dealers I always take all my Canon DSLR's including the 5DMkII to them for any repairs, cleaning, etc.

Their contact details are:

CANON PHOTO / VIDEO HELPDESK:
For all Canon photo / video technical queries, please call the helpdesk on
0800 21 22 50

Postal address:
P O Box 1781, HONEYDEW,

Physical address JHB :
Unit E3, Strijdom
Commercial Park,
Tungsten Road
(off Hans Strydom Drive),
Strijdom Park
Physical address CPT :
Unit S27, Spearhead Bussines Park
Montague Drive,
Montague Gardens
Cape Town

Twinkler

If you take it to Camera-Tech Jhb, you might wait 2 months to get the camera back again!

fwwwn

How does the aperture of the lens effect the visibility of dust on the sensor? I don't know how it works. I'm just interested.

Wait, stupid question. I just remembered, it's in a book of mine. I'll go look it up. Got something to do with ?refraction?. Light's more concentrated? I was never good at physics. :erm:
Looked it up yet? In case you're still wondering, it's because of the DOF. With a smaller aperture, the sensor itself becomes included in the depth of field, and thus the dust spots become more apparent.

Freakboy, I've heard that CameraTek will clean a camera under warranty for free... although this might have been a limited time offer now that I think about it. Anyway, they clean while you wait, and they are the official people so if they mess up, it's their responsibility to repair.

Freakboy

Expert Member
Thanks for all the advice and info guys. Will contact them and check if they still clean it under warranty. If not, then I will have to decide what I’m going to do :)