Clear Score

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
That shows you a report, but not your credit score. Thus it is nearly useless unless you're worried about whether you've been reported for defaulting or anything of the sort.
The score doesn't really mean anything, in so far as each provider has their own scoring methodology. If you want your Transunion score, you pay R80 for that. Otherwise it'll at least have a more complete picture of a person's credit history, which was one of the OP's main concerns.

semisane1987

I also thought credit score look dodge but they don't ask for bank details, but these days with a simple ID one can get hold of your bank details. I will wait and see check my bank statement.

But through credit score I was able to see all my previous and current debts, If any of my debts are in arrears and the current balance on my car loan and jet store card.

One thing that surprised me on my profile is multichoice (Dstv), King Price insurance , Tracker and some accident policy from mi way. So not paying my dstv account can affect my credit profile.

The reason they are requesting the Income is so that the can run equations in the back ground and supply you offers for loans, credit cards etc,. If you click on one of the options, it saves a cookie in your browser and the provider then gets notified that you have been redirected to them by Clearscore and this ends in the credit provider paying Clearscore. This is how Clearscore is able to supply you your credit score/record for free, whereas the credit bureaus, give you 1 free credit check a year and then make you pay for them. Also it seems that Clearscore is based on the Experian credit bureaus records. I have been paying for my Compuscan credit report for 2 years already and get all the information I need there without all the extra crap marketing emails, that Clearscore will force down your throat. Just my 5 cents worth... Also Clearscore is showing an account as open and that I'm still paying it, it's supposedly with my current bank, who have no record of this and on registration, I was told that my address is incorrect, makes one wonder.:confused:

Jasop

Bump - any updated feedback on this? I was sceptical at first but not anymore. Seeing my credit score steadily rise over the last year or so has been good.

L-Dog

Also want to get my credit score any recommendations on websites ?

Should you bank not be able to provide you with this score?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Also want to get my credit score any recommendations on websites ?

Should you bank not be able to provide you with this score?
Here are some other options:

Transunion (have to pay for scoring, free report doesn't have scoring):
https://mytransunion.co.za/

Experian (free report has scoring):
https://www.creditexpert.co.za/

XDS (free report has scoring):
http://www.credit4life.co.za/

Compuscan (have to pay for scoring, free report doesn't have scoring):
https://www.mycreditcheck.co.za/

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Its hard keeping track of all this. Why can't there just be 1 credit bureau?
Yeah, and why can't there just be one power producer and electricity network in SA, and one telephone line operator, they should ban other airlines too, SAA is enough... oh wait!

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I'm sceptical if this thing is actually accurate. Last time I checked with some other company I had no score because I literally had no debt, for the past 6 months I actually started using my lines of credit and now I have a score of 669. Really I haven't spent more used more than 4K of credit over that period and I feel like I'm over estimating the amount by like a lot

Snyper564

Expert Member
I'm sceptical if this thing is actually accurate. Last time I checked with some other company I had no score because I literally had no debt, for the past 6 months I actually started using my lines of credit and now I have a score of 669. Really I haven't spent more used more than 4K of credit over that period and I feel like I'm over estimating the amount by like a lot
use tyme coach and see if thats similar. Its free and also works if you not a tyme person.

cguy

Expert Member
They tend to use metrics like “percentage of available credit used”, as big indicators. This means that 0 means no credit, no score. Using all your credit means that you’re a risk. Buying lunch once a month, means that you are super responsible. Even more so if you have many credit cards, but hardly use them.

I suppose that it makes sense to some extent - having credit and not using it, means that you’re not living above your means. Not using credit at all means that you either aren’t able to get it, or don’t know how to use it.

It fits some situations, but not all. I bumped my credit score way up, some 15 years back, by just asking the bank to push up my credit limit every 6 months, even though I only ever used a fix small amount and paid it off completely each month.

My credit score has (amusingly) since dropped, since now I use almost half my credit every month, and no longer have car or home loans contributing to my “available credit”, so my “credit usage ratio” is too high. The reason I am spending more, is that I am making much more (and still pay it off each month). It also means that I don’t need credit anymore, so I don’t really care. It is interesting to see the dynamics though.

Also, doing too many credit checks reduces your score, btw. They assume it is potential lenders checking you out because you need more money you can get from one source.