Cloning SSD Boot Drive to M.2 NVME

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Hi esteemed clever people on MyBB

My current OS is Win10 installed on a 120GB SSD
The drive is pushing its limits regarding storage capacity so I need to clone the 120GB (with OS and all the data as is) onto a 512GB NVME drive ASAP.

I have found the following link that gives me a great starting point but I can't afford to lose any data from the 120GB during the clone: Clone Link

Has anyone had any success doing this method or could you recommend any other ways to do this successfully?

Thanks!

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Macrium Reflect is my go-to for this type of thing.
I've cloned numerous drives with 100% success- even some where the original drive was of larger capacity than the new (as long as the used space is not more than the new drive capacity- not relevant to your scenario)

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Macrium Reflect is my go-to for this type of thing.
I've cloned numerous drives with 100% success- even some where the original drive was of larger capacity than the new (as long as the used space is not more than the new drive capacity- not relevant to your scenario)
Is this free to use and easy to use?

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
AOMEI Backupper is excellent. I use it all the time.
You won't lose any data if you follow the instructions.
Last time I did anything like this was with IDE drives and Win XP

Will have a look at the AOMEI as well - guessing it is easy to use as I just follow the instrucs?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Is this free to use and easy to use?
There's a 30 day trial-period that allows you do everything you will need to do. I'm considering buying a license as I've cloned more drives recently than I thought I would.

And yes, it's easy to use- although there's a Youtube detailing the use of Macrium if you search for it. Will see if I can find it.

Actually, a cursory google gave three youtube hits and an article on tech radar for backups

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
When using those programs, do I first need to format the NVME via the Disk Drive Manager in Win 10 or will the programs pick up the NVME and do the relevant formatting without me having to access the drive via the device manager?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
It clones partitions not just data, so I believe it will handle the formatting on its own. I can't remember specifically formatting (or not) the new drives before cloning. In fact, I dare say the utility will remove any formatting that is currently on the new drive before cloning the partitions.

LaraC

Honorary Master
Easeus is very easy to use. Install it on your boot drive and clone it to the new drive. Unplug the old drive and you're ready to go.

It took only four minutes to transfer a 256GB system disk to an NVME. :)

newby_investor

Expert Member
Acronis is good if you can pick it up for free. I've used it when cloning to a WD SSD last year. No hassles at all.

Just a few days ago I used Macrium Reflect (free edition) to move from a 500GB spinny disk to a 1TB NVME drive on my desktop. Worked like a charm, didn't even take that long. Very pleasant experience.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Acronis is good if you can pick it up for free. I've used it when cloning to a WD SSD last year. No hassles at all.

Just a few days ago I used Macrium Reflect (free edition) to move from a 500GB spinny disk to a 1TB NVME drive on my desktop. Worked like a charm, didn't even take that long. Very pleasant experience.
One day I will afford a 1TB M.2 ;)

Swa

Honorary Master
Since it's SSD to SSD the format is the same and you can use any hex editor that supports cloning. Just boot from another system and don't accidentally confuse the two drives. Windows will then be able to resize the partition to what you require.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Shot for all the replies! Going to tackle this as soon as I get that NVME over the weekend