Cloudflare drops support for 8chan

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Cloudflare drops support for 8chan

Cloudflare Inc., a U.S. internet firm that helps websites protect and distribute content, said it is terminating support for 8chan after the gunman in a mass shooting in El Paso, Texas allegedly drew inspiration from members in the online messaging forum.

In a strongly worded message on the company blog, Cloudflare Chief Executive Officer Matthew Prince condemned 8chan as a "cesspool of hate" and said his company would discontinue the site’s service at midnight Pacific Time.

[Bloomberg]

MEIOT

Expert Member
Took 248 mass shootings in the US this year alone for a reaction against 8chan.
Pointless reaction to boot.
They'll be back online in a short bit.

saying it's a "cesspool of hate" isn't far off the mark at all though - just like most online forums - this one included :ROFL:

garp

Executive Member
saying it's a "cesspool of hate" isn't far off the mark at all though - just like most online forums - this one included :ROFL:
This forum is a "cesspool of hate"? I assume you're trolling?

R13...

Honorary Master
They'll move deeper into the darkweb if they have and then it'll be worse when they're able to run amok. It's like that episode of the Simpsons where they set up cameras everywhere and all the "evil" ends concentrated in that one blind spot. Maybe having somewhere to vent is good as it means most of them stop at venting online rather than taking up arms. Sure the odd one takes it a step further, but it could be the outlet is preventing others from doing so by having a place to rant and rave.

waylander

Expert Member
No. It's Trump, microaggressions, whiteness, toxic masculinity, the alt-right, GTA 5, COD, etc, etc that are to blame. The individual had no agency and everything around him needs to take accountability for his actions.
Yip, people forget that before 8chan there was 4chan and before that there was IRC... Disabiling a platform isn't the answer to a societal issue.

garp

Executive Member
No.

Have you not perhaps explored the rest of the forum? Go on a journey of discovery :)
Perhaps you mischaracterise any opinion that differs from yours as "hate"? It's a kind of intolerance that seems to be a common problem these days.

I'm sure there are a few individuals who express extreme opinions on all sides, there always will be in any community online or otherwise, but I don't think you have a clue what a true "cesspool of hate" really is.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Perhaps you mischaracterise any opinion that differs from yours as "hate"? It's a kind of intolerance that seems to be a common problem these days.

I'm sure there are a few individuals who express extreme opinions on all sides, there always will be in any community online or otherwise, but I don't think you have a clue what a true "cesspool of hate" really is.
Sure. You seem quite the authority on the topic of hate. I concede - you're right of course - no arguing with a clearly superior intellect such as yours.

PS: Have you gone on that journey of discovery? Didn't pick up any hateful words/posts/comments/opinions? None at all?

la vie en rose? Or just ignorance?

garp

Executive Member
Sure. You seem quite the authority on the topic of hate. I concede - you're right of course - no arguing with a clearly superior intellect such as yours.

PS: Have you gone on that journey of discovery? Didn't pick up any hateful words/posts/comments/opinions? None at all?

la vie en rose? Or just ignorance?
It's ironic that you're the one complaining about hate, and yet your comments seem to be consistently full of sarcasm and insults. You might note that I have been a member of this forum for 15 years.

MEIOT

Expert Member
It's ironic that you're the one complaining about hate, and yet your comments seem to be consistently full of sarcasm and insults. You might note that I have been a member of this forum for 15 years.
You might note that's irrelevant. How's you being a member for 15 years in any way important to the topic at hand?
What message are you trying to convey by stating the obvious regarding your 15-year membership?
Are you simple-minded enough to actually try to put across that because you're a member for 15 years that makes you automatically right in EVERY instance? That's really pathetic and laughable if I'm being honest....which in turns makes you pathetic and laughable.

You might note - nobody gives a shite how long you've been a member for and it certainly doesn't lend credence to your pathetic points. There's a lot of that mentality in here from 'old' members :laugh:

Oh - and happy 15th year on that membership - I see that just happened 3 days ago too.

Oh and also, there's quite a divide between hate and sarcasm and insults. You might want to brush up on definitions and logic, it's been 15 years on here after all.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
They think it will make a difference? Nobody will even notice CF's non presence. As usual looking for blame in the wrong place.

MEIOT

Expert Member
They think it will make a difference? Nobody will even notice CF's non presence. As usual looking for blame in the wrong place.
I'm sure Cloudflare hasn't made the decision out of protecting their interests from a blame game perspective - more like a way of voicing their intolerance of the channel and what it's become and distancing themselves from any further association.

All in vain for the channel though

gregmcc

Honorary Master
8chan is pretty much dead and buried now.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/5/20754943/8chan-epik-offline-voxility-service-cutoff-hate-speech-ban

Internet hate forum 8chan has gone dark after web services company Voxility banned the site — and also banned 8chan’s new host Epik, which had been leasing web space from it. Epik began working with 8chan today after web services giant Cloudflare cut off service, following the latest of at least three mass shootings linked to 8chan. But Stanford researcher Alex Stamos noted that Epik seemed to lease servers from Voxility, and when Voxility discovered the content, it cut ties with Epik almost immediately.