Computer keeps on dying.

Barrymore

This problem occurs in three different ways.
1. Dead. Nothing lights up when on switch is activated.
2. Switch off the mains at the wall for 10 minutes. It will then switch on in that the blue and red light
at the switch lights up. On screen "no signal. Will go into standby mode shortly." Black screen.
3. Switch off at the wall for two hours. Now it switches on and goes thru to windows.
All fine until I switch off the next time. A technician has previously assumed the power supply was faulty
and took the unit away only to return it with a new power cable. Anyone able to suggest a solution to this annoying problem?

Daruk

Honorary Master
This problem occurs in three different ways.
1. Dead. Nothing lights up when on switch is activated.
2. Switch off the mains at the wall for 10 minutes. It will then switch on in that the blue and red light
at the switch lights up. On screen "no signal. Will go into standby mode shortly." Black screen.
3. Switch off at the wall for two hours. Now it switches on and goes thru to windows.
All fine until I switch off the next time. A technician has previously assumed the power supply was faulty
and took the unit away only to return it with a new power cable. Anyone able to suggest a solution to this annoying problem?
1) Take it back to the place who 'fixed it' and tell them they didn't do a good job.
2) Take it to someone else

Could be power supply, motherboard, graphics card, RAM, CPU, hard drive.... it's likely power related so I would start with power supply, but it could be anything that draws power in reality.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Motherboard. It wouldn't be an ASRock, would it?

When they die, ASRock motherboards are notorious for doing exactly what you've described.

gamer16

Honorary Master
PSU is my bet, seen that before.
Jip

They can do strange things, once had a case where everything worked on it apart from the 12v rails that go to the drives and the GPU, took ages to figure out WTF, thought I had dead drives and a faulty GPU

Rharia

Why techinician didn't verified motherboard with new PSU unit when you'll be here and near - out of my imagination. What was the job there then ? Try to go to other repair shop and say that you'll buy it if it will be PSU, but yes, it's eithier it or motherboard.

Barrymore

Technician said it could be my wall plug and I should plug PC in somewhere else.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
PSU issue. Test with a replacement.

Check for swollen caps on the motherboard.

Check your task scheduler or crontab for any shutdown jobs.

Mitchie23

Might be PSU. You may diagnose it on your own by looking at when your computer boots up. if it takes longer for your pc to boot up or shut down, or there's spontaneous rebooting, something is wrong. also, if the system makes rapid, short beeps repeatedly and wont boot when you try to get to it, that can be a clear indication that the problem is linked to the power supply.