Contract question

apviljoen2

Hi guys

I've been reading all the good review's for the Motorola Defy and the best package seems to be the RBM200.

Small Problem: I've still got two months on my MTN contract at Nashua mobile. Fee for leaving early = 2 months of premiums which totals R400, which I can accept. But what really :mad: &%*@$$ :mad: me off is that they impose a R2500 penalty! For leaving on month 22 of a 24 month contract!?!

I am so glad someone imposed the CPA on these cellphone companies, although it doesn't apply to my current contract, at least they won't be able to pull this same stunt in future. I don't want to miss out on the RBM200 deal, although the deal has been running since the launch of RBM I have a sneaky suspicion it won't last forever... Plus I am a bit of an impulsive buyer, waiting another 2 months will be absolute torture.

What do you guys suggest I do?
A. Pay the penalty and port my number to the RBM package?
B. Take out the RBM package and live with the fact of having a new cell number, keeping the old phone active on prepaid for the couple of people that might not have my new number?
C. Wait the 2 months as RBM is not going anywhere and still keep my current number?
D. Any other suggestions? :confused:

Shayd

Expert Member
Suffer the torture... R2500 is too insane to ignore.

Or if you can live having 2 phones for a while go for the new rbm contract option.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

moklet

Expert Member
Suffer the torture... R2500 is too insane to ignore.

Or if you can live having 2 phones for a while go for the new rbm contract option.

C wait for 2 months and then port, at least you won't have the hassle of changing your phone number everywhere (banks,insurance, etc etc) + you probably get a better deal by that time

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
What I would do is:
1. Wait the two months out! Right?
2. Then I would get rid of Nashua Mobile! They suck!
3. Write your letter now already to say you are leaving them! Make sure they receive it by having proof.
4. Get another number and service provider of your choice!
5. The rest is not that important!

Last edited:

EvoZA

If you can afford the 2 then get the contract now, live with the 2 numbers for this period, sack Nashua and as mentioned get proof, then request the PAC code and port your old number over the new 'temp' number. My knowledge regarding porting (from UK) is that you can port anytime you want (unless you are in the middle of a contract.)

apviljoen2

If you can afford the 2 then get the contract now, live with the 2 numbers for this period, sack Nashua and as mentioned get proof, then request the PAC code and port your old number over the new 'temp' number. My knowledge regarding porting (from UK) is that you can port anytime you want (unless you are in the middle of a contract.)

I was thinking about doing something in this line but wasn't sure if it is possible, can someone else confirm if we can do this in SA because I'm pretty sure the consultant at Cell C will just say "Hayibo, yoo kant do dat" ;-)

apviljoen2

Well a whole new thing to take into account... I phoned practically every Cell C store in Gauteng today and NONE of them has the phone in stock, most said they are getting stock on thursday but one guy said to me he thinks the phone is discontinued. What the....?

Can anybody help me out on whether this is true? If it is not, can someone please direct me to a store that has stock?!

apviljoen2

I did exactly that and the guy phoned me back after 30min and said my best bet is Melrose Arch. So my wife and I sped through from Pretoria and received the best service from Sithembiso, even though it was basically closing time. Very happy I did it because it seems they are ending the special with the motorola and replacing it with an LG. The guy also said I can port my old number onto this account once it has run out at Nashua Mobile. Very happy client!

Shayd

Expert Member
The LG that is replacing the MB525 is the Optimus Black. Far from a bad phone, very similar to a galaxy S.

apviljoen2

The LG that is replacing the MB525 is the Optimus Black. Far from a bad phone, very similar to a galaxy S.

True, but someone clumsy like me would be able to "appreciate" the Defy for much longer than a typical smartphone before it expires due to normal "wear an tear" (read "Abuse" if you are a cellphone developer).

Shayd

Expert Member
True, but someone clumsy like me would be able to "appreciate" the Defy for much longer than a typical smartphone before it expires due to normal "wear an tear" (read "Abuse" if you are a cellphone developer).

I totally agree. That is why I wrapped a rubber "condom" on my phone. It adds a bit of bulk to my phone but it makes it bullet proof.