Cool Ideas VOIP (multiple handsets issue)

sybawoods

Expert Member
@PBCool - My telkom landline will be discontinued at the end of this month. I have been going through a relatively smooth process thus far of porting my number to Cool Ideas on the standard VOIP plan (R85p/m). However, today I received an email that for each additional handset that I purchase I would need to pay an additional line fee of R85pm. So 3 handsets, even if only 1 line, would be R85 x 3. This doesn't make sense. I followed up via email and was told that this is due to issues in the past where multiple handsets do not always register on the same line, or something to that effect. This seems very bizzare to me. Surely I can have one line and multiple handsets, without having to incur additional costs?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool - My telkom landline will be discontinued at the end of this month. I have been going through a relatively smooth process thus far of porting my number to Cool Ideas on the standard VOIP plan (R85p/m). However, today I received an email that for each additional handset that I purchase I would need to pay an additional line fee of R85pm. So 3 handsets, even if only 1 line, would be R85 x 3. This doesn't make sense. I followed up via email and was told that this is due to issues in the past where multiple handsets do not always register on the same line, or something to that effect. This seems very bizzare to me. Surely I can have one line and multiple handsets, without having to incur additional costs?
Hi There, you can have one device registered per sip service. So if your handset (most notably the cordless handsets, support multiple devices/receivers) then you only need one sip line. So just depends on the handset really.

sybawoods

Expert Member
Hi There, you can have one device registered per sip service. So if your handset (most notably the cordless handsets, support multiple devices/receivers) then you only need one sip line. So just depends on the handset really.
I ordered two handsets from Cool Ideas (one Yealink cordless x R1850 + additional Yealink @ R1250). I assume it should work together? However, I was emailed today to say each would incur a separate charge of R85 for each. I said I would then rather order one handset. The point is that I would prefer two, but don't see why it should incur additional charges. Below is the explanation I received.

" The reason for us requiring a line for each telephone is we have had issues in the past where multiple VoIP phones do not work properly on 1 VoIP line. However, I will request our accounts department credit or refund you the amount for the additional handset (R1250)."