Copper theft barometer

jes

MyBroadband Alumnus
Copper theft barometer

The SA Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Sacci) has introduced a Copper Theft Barometer to try reduce the R5 billion this crime costs the economy each year, a spokeswoman said on Thursday.

RoganDawes

Expert Member
Dunno if I'm reading it wrong, but this seems to be an order of magnitude exaggerated.

The first barometer found the average loss a month between April 2009 and October 2010 was R22.3 million.

Losses peaked in November 2009 at R46.42 million and March this year at R47.2 million.

So, if the peak was R47m, times 12 months, gives us in the order of R600m, not R5b.

What am I missing?

goselito

I am at a loss here... So now they are spending money on implementing technoly which will tell yhem how much money they are losing.

what exactly is the benefit?

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
****ing ****s hit my site again this week. Took a truck battery, cut off the earthing cable, took some thick jumper leads, snapped off the plumbing pipes in the roof space (taking a Masterflo), snapped off the supply pipes to two other units, and even took the tap at the end of a hose.

If ever there was a case for Sharia law, this is it, because these ****s won't stop until they start losing limbs.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
shoot on sight/site! (shoot them when you see them/shoot them where they stand) :D

UnUnOctium

Expert Member
I guess the thieves have become sick of Telkom and started to do LLU themselves. No copper, no monopoly!

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
still too fusking thick to see fiber is the ay....

LOL!

I read somewhere there's a market for the kevlar coating protecting the optical fibers as well :p Well hopefully not such a big market mind you.

Trust me - When you have stuff and there are dishonest lowlifes near then you will take losses. And don't think you can make an impact on them by calling them names... They like it. All they know is what they do and all they understand is violence done upon them. What pisses me off the most is that it's generally the middle-man that makes the most out of these deals. Thieves get almost nothing for their effort. A couple of grand for a stolen double-cab bakkie maybe. Probably a buck or two for a kg for stolen copper. Who the hell buys stolen copper? Cut off the head and you will kill the snake.

And may I say the greatest contribution the ANC has made screw up this country is probably that you cannot bliksem or shoot a poephol that tries to take your stuff anymore. But of course we all know that... Including the criminals.

Last edited:

Durandal

Expert Member
still too fusking thick to see fiber is the ay....

LOL!

Might be an urban legend, but I remember a Telkom technician once telling me he'd seen fiber optics stolen, cut up and used as thatching for a hut...

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Might be an urban legend, but I remember a Telkom technician once telling me he'd seen fiber optics stolen, cut up and used as thatching for a hut...

ROFL! gotto love the ingenuity then.. .:D

valmore

why even worry about the 50 mill in copper damages when their Telkom senior members extort far more money than that from the company

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
Copper theft is not restricted to Telkom; it also includes Eskom and Transnet and the Building industry.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
the introduction of fibre would save us loads of moola.

You can't run water through fibre pipes, or use fibre cables to power your stove. There are options, but they're not optimal. Even with data, fibre is just one possibility, and it isn't the best choice for all applications.

davemc

Executive Member
So, the barometer is there to highlight the value of the problem so that somebody can eventually justify spending money to solve the problem.

Where is our crime barometer?
Where is our unpaid municipality bills barometer?
Where is our traffic overload barometer?
Where is our population overload barometer?
Where is our hospital patient overload barometer?
Where is our ...

Oh wait ... STATS SA is recording such figures, aren't they?
Why not just ask STATS SA to publicise the figures weekly then?

I know ... fire the bastids already responsible for solving the problem.

Last edited: