Cost for plumber

ros_b

I had a plumber come out on an emergency call - it was during the week, normal office hours. They came in about 15 minutes. They stayed for about 10 minutes to solve the problem. This was in Randburg, Gauteng. What should I expect to be charged?

neoprema

Expert Member
I paid R1800 for a new element on our geyser after the last water cut-off debacle.

They come out promptly at 9am and took them about an hour. I'm in Sandton.

Apparently I need 2 vacuum valves as well they will come back for another time, around R500 for those to be installed. So not bad to have hot water, cause i'm not showering in cold water ever again!

ros_b

I'm just wondering about the call-out fee and 10 minutes of labour - no parts.

neoprema

Expert Member
Its hard to tell, I believe they usually bundle the call-out in parts. Maybe around R200-300?

Stokstert

Executive Member
I had a plumber come out on an emergency call - it was during the week, normal office hours. They came in about 15 minutes. They stayed for about 10 minutes to solve the problem. This was in Randburg, Gauteng. What should I expect to be charged?
How can you contract a plumber without asking for a quote beforehand?

ros_b

How can you contract a plumber without asking for a quote beforehand?
I got a quote. It was an emergency so I accepted it and paid it. I'm just wondering if it's cheap, a rip-off, or average, so I know for next time whether to stick with them or go elsewhere.

mister

Executive Member
R400 in Durban. R800 in Jozi

bwana

MyBroadband
I got a quote. It was an emergency so I accepted it and paid it. I'm just wondering if it's cheap, a rip-off, or average, so I know for next time whether to stick with them or go elsewhere.
Why don't you tell us what you paid and what work you had done?

ros_b

Why don't you tell us what you paid and what work you had done?
I have a tap on the wall of my kitchen that controls water supply to the washing machine. It had a small leak, but I had to get a load of washing done after being in Cape Town for 10 days without doing any laundry (water shortages and all). So I just put a towel under the tap to absorb the leaking water while the machine was going, but then while trying to turn off the tap after the washing machine had finished, the tap head came off and water gushed out, all over my kitchen and into the living room (with laminate floors). I rushed downstairs to turn off the water mains, and luckily a worker in the complex was around and secured the tap head back onto the tap to stop the gushing. After mopping up the mess, I called a plumber to come and fix the tap. I don't know what they did - it probably just needed some tightening or something. Cost was R775.20.

requiem

Expert Member
I have a tap on the wall of my kitchen that controls water supply to the washing machine. It had a small leak, but I had to get a load of washing done after being in Cape Town for 10 days without doing any laundry (water shortages and all). So I just put a towel under the tap to absorb the leaking water while the machine was going, but then while trying to turn off the tap after the washing machine had finished, the tap head came off and water gushed out, all over my kitchen and into the living room (with laminate floors). I rushed downstairs to turn off the water mains, and luckily a worker in the complex was around and secured the tap head back onto the tap to stop the gushing. After mopping up the mess, I called a plumber to come and fix the tap. I don't know what they did - it probably just needed some tightening or something. Cost was R775.20.
That's cheap.

Emergency plumbers always screw you.

bwana

MyBroadband
Cost seems reasonable for an emergency call out.

I'd be more worried about those laminate floors.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
R150+ for parts, petrol and labour
R600 for your peace of mind.

School fees.

RedViking

Nord of the South
400-600 per hour for labour, depending on the plumber and location. I guess they will still charge an hour fee for 15min as jy will count as a callout fee. Some charge first hour more and then the rest a bit less. Plumbing parts can be expensive, depending on the quality and brand.

Now I have my own basic tools and steel drain rods. A tap is one of the easiest things to fix.

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
What does the invoice say? If they didn't replace anything, your problem will most likely return.

RedViking

Nord of the South
The invoice says "Repairs to leaking stop cock"
Mmmm.... That irritates me and doesn't really say much. If I need to use a plumber, I ask them for a detailed invoice and ask them before hand their hourly rate. Otherwise it's like going to a mechanic and the invoice says "fixed broken car".

LOTR

Also in Randburg area - general cost for plumbers is R600-R800, being call out fee and 1st hour labour, irrespective of whether they spend 10 mins or the full hour with you. Also, add to that any costs for parts (up to 200% markup on what you'd pay retail). Next time, use help@out - free call out and 1st half hour, only pay for parts.