Could someone please help me price a computer

SamuelK

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Case - Antek 1200
PSU - Corsair CP-9020051-WW VS650 650W Desktop Power Supply
Storage - 2 x Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003)
RAM - 8GB DDR3
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4GB
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3750k CPU 3.4GHz
Fans - 5 total

everything is in good condition except the optical drive doesnt open for some reason but it still reads stuff and seems to be working. Its just the door i guess. The computer is about 3/4 years old but i have upgraded it since i bought it so i dont really know how to describe the age.

I need to buy a laptop for uni so thats why im selling. If you could help me find a place to sell that would be great too.

Thanks

Venomous

Honorary Master
DvD drive belt is normally a rubberband, if it gets worn then the drive won't open.
Cheaper to replace than repair, unless you fix it yourself. Labour the biggest cost on fixing that

SamuelK

im a student so i dont have any money for a new optical drive. could you link me ways to repair or should i just leave it as is and sell it as is

ODTech

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Case - Antek 1200
PSU - Corsair CP-9020051-WW VS650 650W Desktop Power Supply
Storage - 2 x Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003)
RAM - 8GB DDR3
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4GB
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3750k CPU 3.4GHz
Fans - 5 total

everything is in good condition except the optical drive doesnt open for some reason but it still reads stuff and seems to be working. Its just the door i guess. The computer is about 3/4 years old but i have upgraded it since i bought it so i dont really know how to describe the age.

I need to buy a laptop for uni so thats why im selling. If you could help me find a place to sell that would be great too.

Thanks

http://carbonite.co.za/
This is a good place to get your stuff sold.

The DVD issue has to do with the magnet that pinches the cd/dvd. Either magnet becomes stronger or the motor becomes weaker with time and can't seperate the magnet to make room for the tray to slide out. I solved it once years ago by putting a sticker on the magnet so it's not metal on metal contact.

Other solution is to leave a dvd in the drive.

SamuelK

http://carbonite.co.za/
This is a good place to get your stuff sold.

The DVD issue has to do with the magnet that pinches the cd/dvd. Either magnet becomes stronger or the motor becomes weaker with time and can't seperate the magnet to make room for the tray to slide out. I solved it once years ago by putting a sticker on the magnet so it's not metal on metal contact.

Other solution is to leave a dvd in the drive.

i will try what you said, if it helps the drive seems to make a short click before i can maybe hear the motor or something then it gives up. could you maybe give me a price recommendation?

WAslayer

Executive Member
could you maybe give me a price recommendation?

Are you selling with or without Monitor, KB and Mouse..?

A good starting price for the 'without' PC would be 5K.. Go look through the ads on carbonite.co.za for similarly spec'd systems and see how much the people are asking and how quick they sold.. That would be a very good indication of how much to ask..

SamuelK

i could include a keyboard but its a cheap one. is 5k really the best i can do? even with the current price hikes of gpus and stuff? would it maybe be better to sell the parts separately

WAslayer

Executive Member
i could include a keyboard but its a cheap one. is 5k really the best i can do? even with the current price hikes of gpus and stuff? would it maybe be better to sell the parts separately

you may get more parting it out but, this may take longer to sell.. whether 5k is really the best you can get, it is only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it..

Like I said, go to carbonite.co.za, look at how much people are asking for similarly spec'd pc's and how long it took to sell.. a long time to sell may mean price was too high and a short time to sell may mean price was too low.. emphasis on 'may'.. that will give you the most accurate idea of what you can expect to get for it..

YePsy_ZA

I think you could try and start at like R6500. I doubt you'll get that but might be possible to get something around R5500 or R6000 if you are lucky.